The "Education" Thread

Got my teaching assignments for next semester. Extremely pleased to hear I'll finally get to teach a Latin class! Elementary Latin I. I'll also be teaching an online Mythology class.

It will feel so good to actually teach classes I want to teach, and came here to teach, instead of this retarded rhet-comp class I've gone through the motions teaching the past two years.

Fantastic! I can't remember if I shared this already or not, but I got my assignment for the fall also: Science/Fiction, which I've been told I can adapt to do mean either science and literature, or science fiction. I think I'm going to do a combo of both...

I talked with one of my primary committee members for my orals, and it sounds as though they planned the course thinking I would ask to teach it. He also told me that they're excited to see how enrollment and reactions go; and if the response is positive, they may look into expanding the course into a full lecture in the future. This would be taught by a full-time professor, but the chance to be a part of developing the curriculum is still a cool opportunity.

Still waiting on one of my colleges to get back to me with my schedule, which is fucking bullshit since they got my availability first back in June. I have three classes so far with an additional writing lab unit. Probably gonna end up with five again in Fall. That seems to be the sweet spot. Teaching 6 classes last Fall was brutal.

In the Summer I'm coordinating the Summer Bridge program for one of the schools I work at. I'd much rather do that than teach summer school. 4 One day pre sessions followed by four one week sessions to introduce the newbies to college life. Basically what I was doing at CSULB. Should be grand. I get to oversee a staff of seven peer mentors.

A full timer at said school is retiring. Hopefully a full time position opens. The adjunct life sucks balls

I've been working on this sonnet for a while now and I finally found the inspiration to finish it. I didn't want to dig up the poetry thread, so I figured this would do just fine.

I’ve stood on cobbles of great kings of old
Deep with history of blood and long strife.
Home to the tombs of authors wise who sold
Their soaring spirits to everlasting life.
Ascending the steps up to the divine
I look upon the city’s vast fashion.
Behold! What greatness lies ahead. I pine
To witness again that gift of passion.
Yet those are pale to your grisly beauty
Endless prairies littered with mounds of crud
That even his rocky isle mighty
Would fall at the site of such hallowed mud.
“And when I gazed on those tear filled smiles
The pains of grief released down the miles.”

Had my wrap up presentation for my senior honors thesis. Was told again that it was master's quality work and that at least one of my techniques is beyond most grad students and that the Reader may incorporate what I did into his teaching. And then the reader and my mentor spent quite a while making sure I wasn't distraught over not getting into the PhD program this time. I was told there were over 140 applicants and only 4 slots for this past application round. They had a lot of ways they could help me add to my CV, unfortunately none of them were paying options.......

Had my wrap up presentation for my senior honors thesis. Was told again that it was master's quality work and that at least one of my techniques is beyond most grad students and that the Reader may incorporate what I did into his teaching.

I wouldn't expect anything less.

Yet, I have my thesis director just shooting down all my ideas and pretty much making me feel like I don't know jack shit because, well, I don't know fucking shit.

I am so smrt.

Let me read dat thesis yo, my semester is overrrrrrr

We are working over the summer getting it ready for publication, going to wait on that.

The irony of my "technique" was that it was a product of my drive for efficiency (or less generously: laziness!). Instead of sorting through piles of possibly relevant literature, I went after meta-analyses, which allowed me to immediately both narrow my lit search and provide a succinct conclusion that was not mere assertion. Allowed for better writing and less click/read time.

I forgot to mention, Jeremy, my buddy from MDF a couple of years back is working on his PhD in music at UI. I'm going to visit him at some point over the summer, perhaps early July. Maybe we can meet up at some point over some beers?

I forgot to mention, Jeremy, my buddy from MDF a couple of years back is working on his PhD in music at UI. I'm going to visit him at some point over the summer, perhaps early July. Maybe we can meet up at some point over some beers?

I'll be driving back to Maine around the second week of July, so hopefully you come here before then.

Today was the last day I will ever teach this cunt-my pals Rhetoric class. Teaching Latin this Fall, AT FUCKING LAST.

Cheers.