The "Education" Thread

Tomorrow is my last time teaching general chemistry for a while as well. Research-funded for the entirety of next year, woot.

(I enjoy teaching lab tho)

Jesus, they allow you to teach. And I thought it was crazy that I teach some unfortunate fucks. How many times do you tell them about your sexual exploits getting off to people walking by your desk?

I've posted about teaching before dude. My students often write in my evals that I'm very sweet/kind/cute but that I'm too shy and need to be more confident, and my sole RateMyProfessor feedback is similar. I cry at the end of every semester reading them tbh.

I actually tell my students to rate me on RMP. It's shitty, but it's what students look at when choosing classes. If that guarantees my classes fill up and don't get cancelled, then fuck it

My ratings are there were done by a friend and are fake, but nobody else knows about that so I can tell people I have a 4.3 and a fucking chili pepper. Hot as fuck.

I had a really hot older sociology 101 professor once who had a chili pepper, and during evals when she was out of the room, these two girls who had seemed nice were like "She's great, but why in the fuck does she have a chili pepper? I thought she was going to be hot!" I should note that afaik they weren't even lesbians but just bitter ugly cunts.

So basically, just realize that some pretentious metrosexual faggots are probably attending your class in hopes of learning more about the ideal male body type and aesthetic, and your evals may suffer when you fail to gauge their student interest levels.

Welp, walked today. Had one departmental ceremony also (Philosophy). Super small, like 6 graduates (at least in attendance). I think 2 of my papers from this semester were submitted for an in-department award, and one won. I was also one of the two considered for the departments "best graduate" or whatever, but a fellow? (female) honor society member and psych/phil double major won it. She was definitely equally deserving and I figured winning both would have seemed in poor taste. Each award was worth $300 so that was sweet. Have my psych dept ceremony tomorrah.

Coming down the stretch run. I think I can realistically get all my students except two to pass. I'm gonna have to fight some of them tooth and nail to get them to a C, but it's possible.

Looking forward to the summer session. I'm gonna be teaching a 3 week interdisciplinary course with the math teachers on the opportunity gap to our incoming freshmen. The content is dope, but the challenge is gonna be figuring out how to make what are essentially college-level texts accessible to kids who just left Jr. High school.

My essay submitted to Science Fiction Studies has been recommended for "acceptance for publication contingent on some quite substantial revisions." Which is awesome, although it means I have even more work now this summer. I must admit that in my (albeit limited) experience with peer review, I have found it to be an extensive and grueling process. Which, of course, is for the better.

Congrats all the same, Pat! I'm planning to submit an article or two this summer, and would feel blessed to get an acceptance pending revisions for either of them.

But before that happens, I've got a few days left of end-of-semester hell. One term paper down, finishing another tomorrow, then taking an Art History final on Tuesday. Wednesday I drive to Kalamazoo to the International Medieval Studies Congress at Western Michigan University, where I'll deliver a paper on Thursday. After that, I'll be done, just in time for MDF!

My essay submitted to Science Fiction Studies has been recommended for "acceptance for publication contingent on some quite substantial revisions." Which is awesome, although it means I have even more work now this summer. I must admit that in my (albeit limited) experience with peer review, I have found it to be an extensive and grueling process. Which, of course, is for the better.

That quotation sounds brutal haha

The suggested revisions are quite brutal. One reviewer actually disagrees with my argument, which makes his/her suggestions interesting. :cool: Ultimately, I don't need to actually incorporate all the changes they suggest; but they raise excellent issues that it would be best to at least acknowledge in the paper. It makes for a stronger presentation.

EDIT:
Congrats all the same, Pat! I'm planning to submit an article or two this summer, and would feel blessed to get an acceptance pending revisions for either of them.

But before that happens, I've got a few days left of end-of-semester hell. One term paper down, finishing another tomorrow, then taking an Art History final on Tuesday. Wednesday I drive to Kalamazoo to the International Medieval Studies Congress at Western Michigan University, where I'll deliver a paper on Thursday. After that, I'll be done, just in time for MDF!

Very nice. You're hitting the conference circuit hard my friend - which is great, of course! Best of luck with all your final papers, and with your presentation!