The "Education" Thread

All of those popular people will fade into obscurity.

It's true, but it's so hard to see that or care when it's the world you're living in as a child or teen. Time is magnified and you lack control to change your situation. Now I'm like "only 4 years? that's nothin" to something, and my kids are like "A WHOLE DAY???"

And if somebody punches you, go for their throats

CRUSH THEIR WINDPIPE lololol

Ahh I remember middle school and high school. Shitty times. I lucked out because I played baseball but I still had issues. Yeah, the key is to get 2-3 friends or people you can tolerate and use them to get through the day.

Homeschooling had its perks. :fu: I think I seriously would have been arrested for assault or maybe arson had I been forced into a public school through graduation.

They must have made the writing section of the GRE with the new version. I took the one graded on a 6 or 12 point scale or something and got low 90th percentile without trying (literally just wrote a few practice essays the day before), and I'm a shitty writer. Though I totally bombed the biochem GRE which is actually relevant to me so yeah.

I did very well on the GRE. 93rd percentile verbal, 68th percentile quantitative, and 93rd percentile writing.

Finished my Master of Education program yesterday and gave my final inquiry presenation. The next step will be to consolodate the 80 page paper into a 10 page paper and attempting to get it published.

Pumped for next year classes as well. I think I'm really prepared to take my teaching to the next level. It's also looking more and more likely that I'll get to teach a year long philosophy elective for seniors.

And if somebody punches you, go for the eyes!

Minsc.jpg

I did very well on the GRE. 93rd percentile verbal, 68th percentile quantitative, and 93rd percentile writing.

Finished my Master of Education program yesterday and gave my final inquiry presenation. The next step will be to consolodate the 80 page paper into a 10 page paper and attempting to get it published.

Pumped for next year classes as well. I think I'm really prepared to take my teaching to the next level. It's also looking more and more likely that I'll get to teach a year long philosophy elective for seniors.

I got a feeling we are in similar programs. Did you get your masters for free like in a teaching program? I'm getting mine as well for special education grades 7-12.

And congrats on the philosophy course! That should be fun!

One year for a credential and a second year for a masters? If so, it's similar, except mine isn't paid for. I can get a decent percentage of my loans forgiven by working in low income areas for five years, but I'll still have way more to pay off than a teacher should have to have.

Ahh nah. I get a certificate at the end of the summer and then 2-3 years for the masters. I think it has to do with the laws in the states. Here you could teach with a Trans B certificate as long as you get your masters within 3 years. The loan forgivance is true here too if you work in high needs.

Way more because of your previous masters, right? Definitely hit up the high needs schools in that case. I think you prefer them anyways (from what I read) and yeah they could use teachers who care.

Finally got the confirmation email from Science Fiction Studies. They'll be sending me the Letter of Agreement in the mail, and then it will just be a matter of time and copy editing. Their issues are booked until next summer, so it will be a while before my essay goes to print; but at least it's locked in.

Finally got the confirmation email from Science Fiction Studies. They'll be sending me the Letter of Agreement in the mail, and then it will just be a matter of time and copy editing. Their issues are booked until next summer, so it will be a while before my essay goes to print; but at least it's locked in.

Awesome!

Congrats, Pat!

I sent my professor a full draft of an article I wrote over the summer. Hopefully he gets it back to me with his comments in time so I can get all the necessary revisions done before the semester starts and I can send it off to a journal.

Thanks guys.

I wrote this essay for SFS last summer, in fact. I think it's a good idea to try and get an article published before starting on your dissertation. At the very least you've gone through the process; and then there's even the possibility of having a publication prior to digging into dissertation research. And then there's the option of securing a second publication by submitting a chapter of your dissertation somewhere.

I have one week left of this Summer program I've been coordinating at one of my campuses. It's been nice to get a break from teaching and do something else. It also helped fill up my 6:30a.m. class at that campus. I have a total of five classes for the Fall semester across three campuses, which seems to be my sweet spot. Six classes would be nice for the money, but I'm good with five. Need to work on my syllabi next week

Very cool. You remind me that I need to work on my syllabus for the fall...

Also, 6:30 am class? BU's earliest classes are at 7:00, and those are severely limited. Even 8:00 am classes are often thin.

Yeah I never knew such a thing existed. But it filled up super quick with students from this Summer program I'm coordinating. That's how you get it done haha

When I start teaching Latin this Fall, along with an online Classical Mythology class, both syllabi will be for the most part manufactured whole cloth for me by the director of the Latin program, which is a nice break for me after having to design a syllabus from the ground up for Rhetoric. However, I will have freedom to supplement the lessons with my own material, which will be mostly Roman history/culture stuff.

Can't decide on my senior history seminar, which course do you guys think sounds better?

HIST 3115-801 Seminar Early American History (Emancipating the United States: The Abolition of Slavery and Embodiment of Freedom, 1790-1865)

vs

HIST 3628-801 Seminar in Recent Chinese History (Chindia: A Historical Comparison of the Recent Chinese and Indian Developmental Experience)