The "Education" Thread

It's been a while since I read Heidegger's work on Kant, but he's by no means anti-Kantian in any simple sense of the term. He's heavily influenced by Kant and actually thinks Kant comes closer to revealing the meaning of being than any philosopher since Aristotle. There's some point in the Critique of Pure Reason where Heidegger thinks Kant shys away from what he's revealing... it might be the noumenal realm, I can't totally remember. Anyway, Check out Heidegger's Kant and the Critique of Pure Reason. I think it's Heidegger's best analysis of another philosopher and will also provide a ton of insights into both thinkers.

This is a good point; it's difficult to call any modern philosopher anti-Kantian in a truly explosive sense. The very recent "speculative turn" may be the closest thing to a rupture with Kantian philosophy. There's a reason why philosophers since Hegel have been obsessed with Kant, and it's because the latter seriously set the tone for an entire tradition of philosophy that came after him. Many might disagree with Kant, but nearly everyone acknowledges the value of grappling with him (Schopenhauer may be the only early exception).

That said, Heidegger is often cited as the promoter of difference and non-presence as the bases for ontology (which people like Derrida and Deleuze will go on to champion). This strikes a pretty serious challenge to Kant's work, in my opinion.

Very nice! Man, an anti-Kant course primarily through Heidegger... that's intense.

The only bit of advice I have regarding writing the SoP is to try and get some assistance from a professor (preferably one who is familiar with your work and with whom you get along). These are people who often sit on admissions boards, so they know what schools look for in applicants. A post-doc fellow at UChicago helped me with my SoP, and her advice was invaluable.

If you don't really have anybody to look over it for you, I'll just say this: no personal stuff, no "love of philosophy/history/literature" etc., and no personal history (outside of academic). The statement of purpose is entirely your reason for wanting to attend a grad program. Start with you interests so the committee can see what your field and period are. Expand on your interests, but not too much - just enough to demonstrate that you've engaged with the work and are familiar with the state of the field. Most importantly, state why you're interested in the program, and which faculty members you're specifically interested in working with (I usually try to find three professors to name-drop).

I'd be interested to hear what other people say too.

Thanks! I know the period and field I want to concentrate on - late 19th and early 20th century intellectual history, with a focus on Germany (and perhaps France and England for my PhD if I'm able to improve my competency in French during my MA). I've given a good look at faculty at the schools I'm considering, which has limited my choices because many of the programs in the Midwest tend to be Americanist; those who aren't are currently out of my league. Honestly, my two main issues are that 1) I'm psyching myself out and 2) I'm afraid to go into debt for a MA program, though I realize it would make me a better candidate for a funded PhD program at a decent institution. But those are concerns a few steps ahead of where I'm at now :lol:

I do have a professor who told me he'll tear apart my statement of purpose until I give him a good one. He sits on the graduate admission board at Morgan as well. I also regular correspond and have lunch with my main CC professor, and I know she would like to critique my SoP as well.

It's been a while since I read Heidegger's work on Kant, but he's by no means anti-Kantian in any simple sense of the term. He's heavily influenced by Kant and actually thinks Kant comes closer to revealing the meaning of being than any philosopher since Aristotle. There's some point in the Critique of Pure Reason where Heidegger thinks Kant shys away from what he's revealing... it might be the noumenal realm, I can't totally remember. Anyway, Check out Heidegger's Kant and the Critique of Pure Reason. I think it's Heidegger's best analysis of another philosopher and will also provide a ton of insights into both thinkers.

The professor isn't too concerned with Heidegger's writings on Kant. We won't be touching any of Kant's works that were major contributors to Western epistemology. Rather, we're looking only at his writings on the philosophy of history, which, though not often given analysis today, influenced and reinforced Eurocentrism and provided the philosophical justification for imperialism. If you're not familiar with his writings on the philosophy of history, there's not much to read. It's similar to Hegel's, minus the dialectic and world-spirit. After reading Kant, the professor, I believe, intends to argue Heidegger's ontology and the historicity of dasein are effective tools for critiquing and refuting, often unintentional, Eurocentric philosophical arguments. It's certainly not a fair treatment of Kant, but he has full professor status, really wanted to teach a course on Heidegger, and really didn't want to teach a course on Kant :lol: I have to admit, too, that the course's focus on Eurocentrism and how Heidegger's philosophy critiques it is pretty funny considering that Heidegger was a Nazi. But to each his own authentic-potentiality-for-Being-in-the-World :p

I'll be happy to read through your personal statement to give you advice. What I can say now is that you should express clearly where your interests lie and goals for applying the knowledge you gain, and how that particular institution you're applying to can help you pursue those interests and goals. They need to be persuaded that you really want to be with them instead of other places for tangible reasons, e.g. there are faculty there whose research areas match yours. You need to make it look like you looked and thought deeply about whether that particular school is the right fit for you.

Thanks Jeremy! This has been my plan. I just have to figure out what to say to programs that I'm applying to purely because they offer MA funding, despite their dearth of Europeanists and intellectual historians.

Got a decision on one of my two articles today. Rejection, and not a revise-and-resubmit kind of rejection. The reviewer didn't seem to think my work made a significant enough contribution to scholarship on the topic.

However, I suspect that the reviewer was somebody who didn't want me cutting in on his action, as he wrote in the review that what I said was already mainly covered in this guy's work. He may very well have been referring to himself in the third person.

My professor also disagreed with some of the reviewer's criticisms, and think I could still get something publishable out of this particular work if I rework it in a different way, perhaps expanding its scope and working toward a different set of objectives.

This lowers my expectations for how the second article may be judged, but it was sent to a different journal and so perhaps a kinder reviewer will read it. This in no way is slowing my momentum, as I've gotten into a nice habit of writing everyday and I've got a number of articles in the works. Hopefully one of them gets through one day.

I had two rejections before I got my first acceptance (via "revise and resubmit"), and I just got another rejection from a major journal. My advisor had a similar reaction to yours, thinks the reviewer and decision weren't really on point.

It sucks, but that's good that your not deterred. Just one quick point that I learned during my acceptance process:

At one point I got some very substantial feedback from a reviewer who suggested there was some secondary criticism that I should cover in my essay, having failed to at that point. One of my advisors told me that the reviewer could very well be the author of some of that secondary work. There's always the possibility that someone who has done work in your area reviews your essay, so it's good to try and cover all your bases.

Still, it's kind of shitty if a reviewer rejects you outright because of infringing on his or her territory. It's actually more in their interest to direct you to their work, since then it would be cited in your essay...

I remember submitting an article on House of Leaves to some journal, and the editors said, "There are some things which should never be published, and this is one of those pieces." My professor thought the paper was fantastic. Whatever.

So usually students in the fall classes are...well...dumber than the ones in spring. Somehow, I've got a bunch of smarties in my classes this semester. In one of my composition classes, not a single student received less than a high "C" on the first paper. My Honors Critical Thinking Class is fucking outstanding. We read theory and criticism and they just go with it. I love it. This is one of the best semesters I've had in a while.

Even my fucking 6:30a.m. class is rocking it, both academically and in terms of attendance.

Word at one of my campuses today in the department meeting was they might be hiring for full time in the Spring. Considering I ran an entire Summer program that was the largest they ever had (300 students over 5 weeks) and I'm designing an upper division automotive technical writing course, which from what we've seen may be the only one in the country (and it definitely is the only one in the state), I better get it.

I have experience with technical writing. I won't be the one teaching the course. The Dean from Career and Technical Education is guiding the process. I'm just pouring the collective thoughts into words

This particular community college was one of fourteen in the state to be granted permission to develop a full four year Bachelor's program. So our BS is in Automotive Technology. Students can get a full bachelor's degree in the field for under ten grand. It's amazing

So usually students in the fall classes are...well...dumber than the ones in spring. Somehow, I've got a bunch of smarties in my classes this semester. In one of my composition classes, not a single student received less than a high "C" on the first paper. My Honors Critical Thinking Class is fucking outstanding. We read theory and criticism and they just go with it. I love it. This is one of the best semesters I've had in a while.

My students are great (so far...).

They haven't had any major writing assignments yet, but they all do Blackboard posts almost every week and so far they've been really good. I've also been very impressed with their comments in the classroom.

So things may be looking up for my reapplication for the PhD program. No details to share but I am encouraged. Still in the process of preparing some of my thesis work for publication. Taking quite a while since I'm coordinating with a professor and grad student who are both almost over their heads with a billion other things.

That's good news. Good to have some people who've gone through the process helping out. And professors and grad students are always over their heads with a billion other things; it's part of being an academic, always feeling like you have a billion things to do. :cool:

Got asked to participate in a roundtable session at MSA next month in Boston. It's a "What are you reading now?" session, basically about ten of us discussing books we're currently reading and how they relate to the field. I'm really excited because there are some major scholars on this roundtable, including Marjorie Perloff. It will be a great opportunity for networking.

I also organized a panel for the conference, on which I'll be presenting a paper. It's a major professional conference with lots of interesting sessions, so it's going to be a fun few days.

Just got told by a professor that my writing is "not up to graduate standards." He did bump into me after class and told me that I shouldn't worry to much about it and that I should get a second pair of eyes to look at everything, but I'm still pretty upset over it. I've been doing this graduate shit for nearly 3 years now, have seen vast improvement in my work, and yet I still cannot write to save my life.

I'm fucking sick of academia.

davemirrors.jpg

Can we make this a thing?

It's interesting how differing fields within a discipline view writing. When I was in grad school, Lit and Theory essays were very formal and dense. It was how you showed your membership in the community. In my rhet/comp classes (which, obviously, was the bulk of my classes), the writing style was much different - more expressive and reflective/introspective. As others said, I wouldn't dwell too much on it. If you've been doing well in your other classes and the professors have commented positively regarding your work, it might just be that one guy.

Problem is that this professor is supposed to be on my thesis committee. I tremble at the thought of him reading my actual thesis and telling me to throw it in the trash.

Also, interesting to note that I have actually completed all my required coursework to graduate. I just had to take some more classes to maintain my Graduate Teaching Assistantship, so...this class really doesn't matter, so long as I maintain a B, which I'm confident I will just fine. It was just a shitty blow to receive.

That's probably exactly the person you want on your committee. My thesis chair tore mine up constantly. Every other page was "Hedge your claim" and "what's the implication of this?" That made me such a better writer. Had to revise that thing so goddamn much. And then I had to submit it to the library where they nitpicked my emdashes, endashes, and every other minute detail.

I loved it. I loved every minute of it (except waiting six months for IRB approval), and would absolutely do it again.

edit: I remember sending my thesis to the Assistant Dean, who is a published rhet/comp scholar, for his approval after my chair and committee signed off on it. I was on a first-name basis with him, and he stops me in the hall a couple of days after I dropped it off for him. He looks at me and goes, "No chapter titles? I can't sign off on that." He see the blood run from my face (because I only had a week left to submit it to the library for final review) and then tells me he's joking and to relax. Goddamn