The "Education" Thread

I was actually thinking the first option might enrich your participation in discourse on certain domestic issues in this country.

The first would definitely still be interesting and beneficial for understanding the history of issues like race; but I think the latter might yield more information regarding the contemporary economic terrain in potential future superpowers (particularly China).

I actually don't think "embodiment of freedom" is meant in the colloquial fashion of an ideal manifestation of something. I think it refers more to the attempt to codify liberal values in a body of law whilst preserving a system of slavery.

It may even be an intentionally ironic title.

I was actually thinking the first option might enrich your participation in discourse on certain domestic issues in this country.

That's what i'm thinking, but CU Boulder is a very race-less campus and I can't imagine the kind of shit would be said in the course.

I think the second one sounds fascinating and would potentially yield more practical knowledge beyond the classroom.

I agree, I signed up for this one originally. I've taken more courses on Chinese history as well than black America / the period between Revolutionary War and the Civil War.

The first would definitely still be interesting and beneficial for understanding the history of issues like race; but I think the latter might yield more information regarding the contemporary economic terrain in potential future superpowers (particularly China).

I actually don't think "embodiment of freedom" is meant in the colloquial fashion of an ideal manifestation of something. I think it refers more to the attempt to codify liberal values in a body of law whilst preserving a system of slavery.

It may even be an intentionally ironic title.

Here's the rest of the description if you guys care :loco:

The burning of Pennsylvania Hall was one violent event among many in the highly contested social and political struggle over slavery in America, a conflict ultimately resolved only through Civil War. In this seminar we will explore abolition as a product of organized white opposition and black resistance. We will investigate violence on the streets, the floors of Congress, and slaving ships. We will discuss electoral and judicial politics, and examine how political speech and symbolism enlisted Americans on both sides of the issue. And we will study the rise of African American leaders, the self-emancipation of fugitive slaves, and slave revolts as we address the question of how the institution of racial slavery was haltingly and violently overturned in the United States.

Today I submitted, for the first time in my career, an article for publication. I worked all summer on it, working closely with my professor who's helped me whip it into shape.

He emailed me last night, after I sent him my latest draft, and he said not only that it was ready to go, but that he'll "be very surprised if it isn’t accepted." This is coming from the man who is also the editor-in-chief of the most prestigious Classics journal in the United States (TAPA).

This is very exciting. Hopefully his sentiments aren't in vain.

Good job, I'm finishing up my experiments and manuscript to submit for publication hopefully in a few weeks. Luckily our lab got a nice grant so I can dedicate more time on research instead of teaching, so the summer coming to an end won't delay me. I did love teaching tho.

? That's fantastic Jeremy; congrats! I think if the editor gives his/her approval then it's a pretty good shot.

Different journal, to clarify. I'm submitting it to Greek, Roman, and Byzantine Studies/ That said, the prof in question is buddies with the editor of GRBS, so perhaps he'll put in a good word for me under the table.

Working on the final revisions of my second article, which I'm hoping to get published in the Journal of Late Antiquity. I'm going to keep this momentum up as long as possible.

I'm told it could take between one and six months for any decision on acceptance/rejection for a submission. Best to just not think about it.

Working on the final revisions of my second article, which I'm hoping to get published in the Journal of Late Antiquity. I'm going to keep this momentum up as long as possible.

I'm told it could take between one and six months for any decision on acceptance/rejection for a submission. Best to just not think about it.

It took me a year to get a rejection from a journal, once. Just for clarification, that is WAY too long to wait. Eight is really the maximum acceptable time; after that, start giving them shit (politely :cool:).

My advisor informed me that twelve months is unconscionable and that they had forfeited any ethical standing. He then told me to submit it to another journal without telling them, which I chose not to do. He's a big name in modernist scholarship, so he can afford to pull shit like that. I can't.

It's about that time to start putting together a statement of purpose for graduate school applications. I don't feel confident enough to apply to PhD programs and, with the field I'm planning to focus on, my foreign language skills aren't nearly up to par. So, I'll be applying to about nine different MA programs and crossing my fingers that I can secure at least some funding. I'm pretty nervous about writing the statement of purpose. In general, I know what I'll say, it's just nerve-wracking to think about. I'm applying for a Fulbright as well, but it's much less intimidating. Do you guys have any experiences you'd like to relate or advice?

The semester is going well. A few of my classes are basically independent studies, one because German 201 isn't offered due to low enrollment numbers and the other two because Morgan's administration is bonkers. In addition, I have a Contemporary Europe course that focuses on intellectual and cultural history (the class began with the absurdity existentialists) and a "Kant/Great Books" course. The professor of the course wanted to teach a course on Heidegger, but because the course is required for philosophy majors, he had to stick with Kant, but he was given some leeway. With the leeway, he's turned it into an anti-Kant course: the first week of the semester we read an essay on Kant's Eurocentrism, the next three weeks consist of reading Kant's philosophy of history, and then the rest of the semester is spent reading Being and Time :lol:

Very nice! Man, an anti-Kant course primarily through Heidegger... that's intense.

The only bit of advice I have regarding writing the SoP is to try and get some assistance from a professor (preferably one who is familiar with your work and with whom you get along). These are people who often sit on admissions boards, so they know what schools look for in applicants. A post-doc fellow at UChicago helped me with my SoP, and her advice was invaluable.

If you don't really have anybody to look over it for you, I'll just say this: no personal stuff, no "love of philosophy/history/literature" etc., and no personal history (outside of academic). The statement of purpose is entirely your reason for wanting to attend a grad program. Start with you interests so the committee can see what your field and period are. Expand on your interests, but not too much - just enough to demonstrate that you've engaged with the work and are familiar with the state of the field. Most importantly, state why you're interested in the program, and which faculty members you're specifically interested in working with (I usually try to find three professors to name-drop).

I'd be interested to hear what other people say too.

It's about that time to start putting together a statement of purpose for graduate school applications. I don't feel confident enough to apply to PhD programs and, with the field I'm planning to focus on, my foreign language skills aren't nearly up to par. So, I'll be applying to about nine different MA programs and crossing my fingers that I can secure at least some funding. I'm pretty nervous about writing the statement of purpose. In general, I know what I'll say, it's just nerve-wracking to think about. I'm applying for a Fulbright as well, but it's much less intimidating. Do you guys have any experiences you'd like to relate or advice?

The semester is going well. A few of my classes are basically independent studies, one because German 201 isn't offered due to low enrollment numbers and the other two because Morgan's administration is bonkers. In addition, I have a Contemporary Europe course that focuses on intellectual and cultural history (the class began with the absurdity existentialists) and a "Kant/Great Books" course. The professor of the course wanted to teach a course on Heidegger, but because the course is required for philosophy majors, he had to stick with Kant, but he was given some leeway. With the leeway, he's turned it into an anti-Kant course: the first week of the semester we read an essay on Kant's Eurocentrism, the next three weeks consist of reading Kant's philosophy of history, and then the rest of the semester is spent reading Being and Time :lol:

It's been a while since I read Heidegger's work on Kant, but he's by no means anti-Kantian in any simple sense of the term. He's heavily influenced by Kant and actually thinks Kant comes closer to revealing the meaning of being than any philosopher since Aristotle. There's some point in the Critique of Pure Reason where Heidegger thinks Kant shys away from what he's revealing... it might be the noumenal realm, I can't totally remember. Anyway, Check out Heidegger's Kant and the Critique of Pure Reason. I think it's Heidegger's best analysis of another philosopher and will also provide a ton of insights into both thinkers.

I'll be happy to read through your personal statement to give you advice. What I can say now is that you should express clearly where your interests lie and goals for applying the knowledge you gain, and how that particular institution you're applying to can help you pursue those interests and goals. They need to be persuaded that you really want to be with them instead of other places for tangible reasons, e.g. there are faculty there whose research areas match yours. You need to make it look like you looked and thought deeply about whether that particular school is the right fit for you.