The "Education" Thread

My link pretty much sums up my position in my disagreement about the validity of what I assume to be the general bent of Pat's field. To be completely fair, my own chosen field has a litany of problems as well, but I recognize them and seek to evade them as much as possible - at least where allowed to evade (another problem all together).

Tangentially being a member of Pat's field (in a different area of concentration though) I understand. When I edited Watermark, CSULB's scholarly journal, I read every submission and if it sounded like complete bullshit, it got returned. In my own area of study, Rhetoric & Composition, the field has turned deep into theory rather and away from practicality as a way to somehow "validate" itself

Psychology/Psychiatry suffers from, among other things, "p-hacking", where you basically just mold your study to achieve not only the desired answers, but at the desired levels within a particular statistical framework. An effort psych is attempting to make to combat it is to move away from simply accepting p values as the end all. Unfortunately that can also make the problem worse. I read research all the time where, even with my currently undergraduate understanding of what good research looks like, I see no reason to place any sort of weight on a piece of research. Of course nearly all of it is also very leftist in the orientation of the hypotheses. Ask the wrong questions, get the wrong answers (or "correct answers"). Throw in no control group etc on top of it and basically a lot of grant funding is going into just trying to buttress a rotten facade.

I have reservations about both. My biggest complaint is that they appropriate concepts from the humanities, i.e. philosophy, and then attempt to parade their findings around as a science.

I want to laugh, but then I remember that that's the sort of thing I will soon be up against (especially considering my field will be intellectual history). At least I can feel good for having sniffed out the made-up Heidegger quote without cross-referencing.

Ah, I like to at least give things a chance (academically speaking). And college forces certain courses on you, as i'm sure you're aware haha

Psych fields are at least leaps and bounds past sociology imo. Sociology attempts to do psych while ignoring the pertinence of the individual. An entirely ass backwards way of assessing anything humanistic.

Here. Kind of a jump from no interview last cycle to getting in this time around lol.

Nice! I'm still pretty blown away they didn't accept you your first time around, even if just on account of your GRE scores. Perhaps you just need sexier application essays :p I began mine with an introductory paragraph about the reptilian conspiracy theory and used that as a jump-off-the-page illustration of historical consciousness, before transitioning to how I wanted to research the historical consciousness of turn of the century Germany.

Nice! I'm still pretty blown away they didn't accept you your first time around, even if just on account of your GRE scores. Perhaps you just need sexier application essays :p I began mine with an introductory paragraph about the reptilian conspiracy theory and used that as a jump-off-the-page illustration of historical consciousness, before transitioning to how I wanted to research the historical consciousness of turn of the century Germany.

It was just a bad year for fit with the faculty taking students + I became better known to the faculty during that time. Almost nothing changed otherwise in terms of my CV/PS other than completing the things that were in process at the time. Worked out for the best, I'm in a much better situation than I would have been had I been accepted last cycle.

I'm thinking about switching programs. Grad level econ math is extremely difficult and I might not have the chops to do it.

I'm thinking about switching programs. Grad level econ math is extremely difficult and I might not have the chops to do it.

What's your back-up discipline? You could always go for economic history, though, from what I understand, that concentration is in a dismal state--but, then, what in the historical discipline, aside from identity politics, isn't?