The Encylopethian

Benighted Joe

Opethian
Oct 21, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
www.myspace.com
We all here know alot about Opeth. What if we'd type down some of
the tastiest facts and stuff here for people to read? Like a sticky thread.
I mean even if you've been a hardcore Opeth fan for like 10 years, perhaps
you have overlooked some small detail? :) I know this may seem a bit
corny, but I think it can be a great source for noobs to look through.

For example:
Mikael Åkerfeldt actually know the guys from the Italian
metalband Novembre! Opeth released their debut CD just a couple
of month before Novembre. [Mike's post]

Sounds fun yeah? Of course there has to be rules for this kind of thing,
so here goes:

RULES

Please...

1. Try not to repeat entries. Use Search.

2. Always reference your entries within [brackets] as shown above.
If you fail to reference your entry may be questioned.

3. Type how many entries per post as you like, but remember rules no. 1 & 2.

4. Avoid useless gossip and nasty rumours.

5. Avoid entries that are either irrelevant to, or stray too much from Opeth.

6. No personal facts such as, "I know this fella that looks just like Bassplayer,
although my friend is more articulate, I guess" :)

When looking for a drummer and a bass player Mikael was shocked to find that only a few people rang and were interested considering they already released 2 albums. He acctually found out that Lopez and Mendez went around and ripped down the advertisments for the positions because they were fans and wanted to join.

In an interview by face culture.nl

http://www.faceculture.nl/opeth/index.htm (cant remember which part of the interveiw)

Nichtsicher said:
When looking for a drummer and a bass player Mikael was shocked to find that only a few people rang and were interested considering they already released 2 albums. He acctually found out that Lopez and Mendez went around and ripped down the advertisments for the positions because they were fans and wanted to join.

In an interview by face culture.nl

http://www.faceculture.nl/opeth/index.htm (cant remember which part of the interveiw)

those are my boys :cry: what a nice story

When drunk......!!!!..........Mike will challenge you to a fight in the bar.....donot partake...coz u could easily get jumped by his Entourage...!!!.........PEAC EOUT

'The Baying of the Hounds' is a lyric from the Comus song 'Diane'

'My Arms Your Hearse' is a lyric from the Comus song 'Drip Drip'

your posts are kind of like walking in the middle of a big field with nobody around. and you come across a soccer ball and in front of you a huge goal. most people are NOT going to be able to resist kicking that ball.

but anyway. i dont think theres too many obscure Opeth facts that most people on here dont know by now. perhaps the fact that mike worked at the mellotronen record store in stockholm for a long time, in which he helped garner his record collection and music knowledge, while befriending stefan dimle who owns it and yada yada. im sure theres more details to all that im not aware of, but maybe some people dont know that.

NineFeetUnderground said:
your posts are kind of liking walking in the middle of a big field with nobody around. and you come across a soccer ball and in front of you a huge goal. most people are NOT going to be able to resist kicking that ball..
You're a real poet. Nice metaphor!

NineFeetUnderground said:
but anyway. i dont think theres too many obscure Opeth facts that most people on here dont know by now. perhaps the fact that mike worked at the mellotronen record store in stockholm for a long time, in which he helped garner his record collection and music knowledge, while befriending stefan dimle who owns it and yada yada. im sure theres more details to all that im not aware of, but maybe some people dont know that.

Yeah that's true. Have you been to that store? It's rather small, but very
very nice! Did you know what one clerk of Mellotronen had written on the
record "Five leaves left" by Nick Drake? It was written: "One of the best ever
made" :D

Benighted Joe said:
You're a real poet. Nice metaphor!

Yeah that's true. Have you been to that store? It's rather small, but very
very nice! Did you know what one clerk of Mellotronen had written on the
record "Five leaves left" by Nick Drake? It was written: "One of the best ever
made" :D

peter or stefan most likely wrote that on the record because theyre right. it IS one of the best ever made. although i havent been there, since im in california, and it is located in sweden. however, i am travelling to stockholm for their 20th anniversary boat festival in january. mecki mark men, morte macabre, flasket brinner, asoka, solid ground, charlie & esdor, emma nordenstam and more of my favorite scandanavian bands of decades past are to be performing. will be an event to remember. anyone who wants to hear some REAL music should attend. that is if they can pry themselves away from moonsorrow and agalloch for a few days.

Great thread. I'd love to read more Opeth-facts!

Great to have them collected like this - this is something even more specific than the ordinary faq.

Keep 'em coming...!

How about these FACTS

Mikael Akerfeldt got his first guitar from his grandmother (faceculture interview @ www.faceculture.nl)

Before Mikael Akerfeldt was in Opeth, he was in several projects including a grindcore band, even doing 'improvised' grindcore performances. (faceculture interview @ www.faceculture.nl)

To Bid You Farewell was in fact written about a girlfriend Mikael broke up with. (faceculture interview @ www.faceculture.nl)

This forum and the Opeth Website is partly run by Mikael Akerfeldt's wife, Anna.