The ENSLAVED thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
imo out of the entire discography, Frost is leaning the least towards Viking (musically) and is the most raw overall work that Enslaved have produced.

I also feel it has much less of Bjornson's experimental thought in it, which is surprising considering that Vikingligr Veldi previously painted some interesting soundscapes through it's repetition.

I feel Frost is certainly the most "pure" Black Metal album that Enslaved did, perhaps even more so than Blodhemn would be 2 albums later. It is clear that here, back in 1994, Ivar Bjornson was still getting his feet wet, and trying to find balance in what he wanted to achieve musically.

In summary though - Frost is no less important than any other album in the Enslaved repetiore, they are all essential.

imo out of the entire discography, Frost is leaning the least towards Viking (musically) and is the most raw overall work that Enslaved have produced.

I also feel it has much less of Bjornson's experimental thought in it, which is surprising considering that Vikingligr Veldi previously painted some interesting soundscapes through it's repetition.

I feel Frost is certainly the most "pure" Black Metal album that Enslaved did, perhaps even more so than Blodhemn would be 2 albums later. It is clear that here, back in 1994, Ivar Bjornson was still getting his feet wet, and trying to find balance in what he wanted to achieve musically.

In summary though - Frost is no less important than any other album in the Enslaved repetiore, they are all essential.

epic post

Temporal phenomenon...

Armageddon, you have clearly pointed out your dislike for Enslaved. No one is hearing it anymore. I suggest that you post a band/album that you like and leave that open for discussion. And to be receptive to both positive and negative thoughts. I, for one am curious as to what type of music that you listen to; bands/albums. C'mon man, you have it in you. you can DO IT!!

Armageddon, you have clearly pointed out your dislike for Enslaved. No one is hearing it anymore. I suggest that you post a band/album that you like and leave that open for discussion. And to be receptive to both positive and negative thoughts. I, for one am curious as to what type of music that you listen to; bands/albums. C'mon man, you have it in you. you can DO IT!!

The last post wasn't a criticism - just a clarification.

Armageddon, fuckin' quit stonewallin'. What's the deal, clarification or criticizm, not the point. List some music that you listen to? Simple question requires a simple answer.

Last 5 albums listened to:

Burzum - Hvis lyset tar oss

Lustmord - The Place Where the Black Stars Hang

Robert Fripp - The Gates of Paradise

R.E.M. - UnFaggot R.E.M.

Gustav Holst - Savitri

It's a reasonably representative sample, though metal and classical probably make up a larger percentage of my listening habits than is reflected here.

Good list,man. I appreciate the Burzum, arguably the best bm album ever. Not familiar with Lustmord. Prefer Blessing of Tears by Fripp, GoP is a little harsher, no. R.E.M. never did anything for me. Gustav Holst is excellent. I also enjoy Quorthons cover of Holst's Hammerheart on Twilight of the Gods. Peace.

Last 5 albums listened to:

Burzum - Hvis lyset tar oss

Lustmord - The Place Where the Black Stars Hang

Robert Fripp - The Gates of Paradise

R.E.M. - UnFaggot R.E.M.

Gustav Holst - Savitri

It's a reasonably representative sample, though metal and classical probably make up a larger percentage of my listening habits than is reflected here.

do you prefer to listen to your music alone in the dark in your room? just a question, dont get anal

Dark ambient? sounds good. Mumble, can you give me a point of reference. Or a band that is similiar?

hmm... not really without naming a dark ambient artist. And if you don't know Lustmord, chances are you're not going to know anyone else that does it, as he's by far the "big name" of the style. I guess one point of reference might be some later burzum, but that's not really a good reference as he sucks at it and isn't quite doing the same thing. Some Blut aus Nord has a bit of that too. Generally though, black metal musicians attempting to do the style just really don't have the ability to pull it off. It's a very "sound imaging"-intensive field, and let's face it... black metal musicians don't know and don't care about sound imaging. They could record in mono for all they care. Drone metal bands like Sunn O))) have some similarities (at least in concept) as well, but are less concerned with the imaging. Movie soundtracks (especially to suspense or horror films) often have definite "dark ambience" to them, and in fact Lustmord has done some film soundtracks.

It's probably easier if i just upload a clip and you listen.
http://www.bumblelovesmusic.com/music/DarkAmbient.mp3

Status
Not open for further replies.