The ENSLAVED thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leaving aside the tricky question of whether Maeror Tri was ever really associated with drone

:lol: i'm sorry, i said i wouldn't argue, but you CAN'T be serious. There's no way. How about for starters, they released music on the label DRONE records, which ALSO happens to be OWNED by one of the members of Maeror Tri. Troum (which is a continuation of Maeror Tri with only 2 of the members) has an album SUBTITLED "drones", and their webpage, is subtexted "unbearably beautiful drones [...]", Not to mention the fact nearly EVERY mention of Maeror Tri or review of the band has "drone" somewhere nearby. Google it.

IRIS LIGHT - MAEROR TRI
Maeror Tri
Hypnos Online Store: Maeror Tri - Meditamentum I
New Page 1
.ANGLE.REC. - events

...ad infinitum. I can hardly even think of a better example of drone than Maeror Tri/Troum. doesn't seem "tricky" at all to figure out. Unless you struggle and make it difficult in some sort of elusive way. Maeror Tri is undoubtably rooted in droning techniques. In fact, why don't i email them and ask? Surely a comment from the band along the lines "yes, we were employing drone techniques and we were a drone band" would be even more solid evidence? I'm sorry, but if you choose to argue this point that it's uncertain whether they were associated with drone, you are no longer thinking rationally and merely trying to defend a silly, unresearched comment. Nobody likes people who do that.

(they're not radically different from most of the rest of what we'd call ambient or dark ambient, for starters)

that i'd mostly agree. I also stated before that these artists are often using drones in their music. Drone isn't really a style, it's more a technique, one employed very nearly all the time by ambient artists. A lot of artists these days you could completely interchange drone and ambient as descriptions of their styles (eg Aidan Baker, Colin Potter, Akira Rabelais, Andrew Liles, Mirror, Andrew Chalk, Encomiast, Oophoi, etc. etc. etc.).

Regardless of what they call it, nothing in Maeror Tri's technique differs from the technique of any other ambient act. If they're 'drone' then 'drone' doesn't exist - it's just another word for 'ambient.'

The 'drone' doom movement has NOTHING to do with ambient artists like Maeror Tri and everything to do with an annoyingly contrived synthesis of noise rock, feedback laden artfag alt-rock and the stoner rock standbys of the mid to late 90s.

Regardless of what they call it, nothing in Maeror Tri's technique differs from the technique of any other ambient act. If they're 'drone' then 'drone' doesn't exist - it's just another word for 'ambient.'

Nothing different except they do EVERYTHING with guitars, which is nearly unheard of in most ambient. lol dude, i'm sorry. I really am. You've come into something you don't know enough about to be talking about. Now 'drone' doesn't exist. Just read more about it and figure out what it is, i don't feel like explaining anymore.

Nothing different except they do EVERYTHING with guitars, which is nearly unheard of in most ambient. lol dude, i'm sorry. I really am. You've come into something you don't know enough about to be talking about. Now 'drone' doesn't exist. Just read more about it and figure out what it is, i don't feel like explaining anymore.

So do a lot of the Fripp solo records, your point?

look. I'm sick of arguing. My point was obvious. "nothing in Maeror Tri's technique differs from the technique of any other ambient act." You figure out what i meant by explaining a technique that differs from the MAJORITY of ambient groups.

read this, and learn. Textura

If you still don't understand, try some google searches.

look. I'm sick of arguing. My point was obvious. "nothing in Maeror Tri's technique differs from the technique of any other ambient act." You figure out what i meant by explaining a technique that differs from the MAJORITY of ambient groups.

read this, and learn. Textura

If you still don't understand, try some google searches.

Compositional technique is independent of instrumentation - artists can (and have) achieved much the same result with pianos played by hand as Maeror Tri or Robert Fripp accomplished with processed guitars or Brian Eno achieved with sythesizers and tape loops.

Burzum and Darkthrone > Emperor, Immortal, Enslaved and Weakling anyway imo

Just for the record, and so that I may contribute to this thread, as far as I can tell...

Darkthrone are quite possibly THE single most overrated, rubbish band that I have ever heard anyone attach credibility to. Seriously, IMO their cd's are a horrible waste of plastic.

Just for the record, and so that I may contribute to this thread, as far as I can tell...

Darkthrone are quite possibly THE single most overrated, rubbish band that I have ever heard anyone attach credibility to. Seriously, IMO their cd's are a horrible waste of plastic.

I own two of their releases. Transilvanian Hunger is very disapointing considering it's status but I do rather like A Blaze In The Northern Sky, though it's definitely not close to my favorite black metal album.

Anyway... Enslaved...right. I just asked for Below the Lights for Christmas, as well as their latest DVD!!

Well, thing is.. Enslaved > most bands around.

Burzum, Darkthrone and Immortal wouldn't stand a chance against them. And don't get me wrong, i'm a fan of each band. But anyone with sense could see instantly who would win.

Hvis Lyset Tar Oss, Filosofem and Transylvanian Hunger are probably my top 3 bm records even though there are unlistenable tracks on the first two (tomhet, rundgaing). The rest of the tracks are just that good. Enslaved is the best bm band going but there is something to these records that nothing by Enslaved has come close to. 90% of Darkthrone might be junk, but Transylvanian Hunger really does have something special about it. Enslaved's stuff is better than the rest of the discography of these two bands for the most part, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.