The ENSLAVED thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
A basement-dwelling tolkien nerd better then Enslaved?

He have a good track or two, paticularly in the first half of Filosofem where he actually showed some signs of learning to play his ''negro instruments''. When you listen to a Burzum album you can be certain half of it either socks or is ruined by casio.

A basement-dwelling tolkien nerd better then Enslaved?

He have a good track or two, paticularly in the first half of Filosofem where he actually showed some signs of learning to play his ''negro instruments''. When you listen to a Burzum album you can be certain half of it either socks or is ruined by casio.

not sure if its casio on tracks like "Dunkelheit" but it does wonders for the atmosphere of the song

Both awesome tracks if you ask me :loco:

What can ya do? To me I guess its more about what's actually going on in the track than whatever he used to record it.

Man, I LOVE Burzum. I can safely say Burzum is my favorite Black Metal band. I just gave his self titled album a spin last night and it's great!!! I think Varg really has great compositional skills (as far as Black Metal goes, obviously). I really like his ambient stuff on the Black Metal albums, like Tomhet. I think they're perfect to end an album, or side of an album.

Immortal, I love too, especially their later stuff. At the Heart of Winter is quite possibly one of my all time favorite albums. Great songs. Tubbs McGee, if you see this, check out that album.

I think it's kind of hard to compare Enslaved to these other bands. Well that's not true, actually. It's just their later stuff that's so hard to compare; it's just so drastically different. Of their old stuff, I've only heard Eld, but I really don't think it stands up to a lot of my favorite albums by the mentioned bands (Immortal, Burzum). It's by no means bad, but it's not particularly great either. I don't think the songs were as well thought out as they should have been. Some of it feels too pieced together and I always find myself thinking how they could improve on certain sections. Other parts though, are absolutely majestic. There's great stuff, it's just a little scattered.

Eld isn't even the best way to compare Enslaved to other Black Metal because you can feel them getting progressive on it. I actually own Vikinligr Veldi, but haven't listened to it just yet (I have the CD in some box with a bunch of others that I'm saving for winter, heh) because I think it would be better suited for later winter, so come January or February, I'll give my opinion on it. I have a feeling it will be easier to compare that work to Burzum etc...

EDIT: Heh, that looks a lot longer than I expected it to be. I guess that's what you get when you start posting when you're in the middle of writing an essay about Moby Dick.

differences with NFU aside, he does listen to a huge variety of music.
Listening and comprehending what is being done, are obviously two different things. NFU, does appear from his posts that he is aware of both of these elements. But, as i inquired from him some time ago as to NFU having any musical skill or background, he stonewalled and sidestepped that issue. I'm saying as to NFU being on this forum for yrs, why would he not divilge his musical background/experience? Some even seem to IMO, overvalue his opinions. Expressing your credibility in this would certainly help you to puncture my pessimism in any "actual" ability you may have( I know, NFU, you don't feel the desire to explain yourself or the need) I was just curious, so I'll continue to pass over anything you may say for I'm not convinced. And I know you feel that explaining yourself is no one's business. How about just being honest and admit to stonewalling. Period.:err:

I guess that's what you get when you start posting when you're in the middle of writing an essay about Moby Dick.

mastodon_leviathan.jpg

Reactions: Selkie
Listening and comprehending what is being done, are obviously two different things. NFU, does appear from his posts that he is aware of both of these elements. But, as i inquired from him some time ago as to NFU having any musical skill or background, he stonewalled and sidestepped that issue. I'm saying as to NFU being on this forum for yrs, why would he not divilge his musical background/experience? Some even seem to IMO, overvalue his opinions. Expressing your credibility in this would certainly help you to puncture my pessimism in any "actual" ability you may have( I know, NFU, you don't feel the desire to explain yourself or the need) I was just curious, so I'll continue to pass over anything you may say for I'm not convinced. And I know you feel that explaining yourself is no one's business. How about just being honest and admit to stonewalling. Period.:err:

There's only one line of argument in discussions about music that is lamer than "My record collection is huge" and that's "Well, I play guitar and..."

that is totally alright with me. cheers.

Haha! Yes!!! I actually brought that album into class one day. We didn't get through the first 30 seconds of Iron Tusk :mad:.

Oh well, metal in school, no matter how short the duration is OK in my book :headbang:.

EDIT: Hah, now I remember what happened. After Iron Tusk got turned off someone put on Moby, which was left on, for the petty reason that he is the great-grandchild of Herman Melville.

Status
Not open for further replies.