The ENSLAVED thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
i don't think i've watched a music video since i stopped watching MTV like 8 years ago

edit: and is opethforum down for everyone? :erk:

i watched like 15 seconds of it... some girl and some guy in a mask or something, and the boys miming... i don't really see what's so interesting about watching that

i always just think "why watch this video when i could just listen to the song?"

it'd be more tolerable if they'd make actual videos to the song instead of showing the band miming most of the way through... like Radiohead's "Fake Plastic Trees" video... is just like Thom sitting in this grocery cart singing the song... or Madder Mortem's "My Name is Silence" video, of them in a room miming the song... it's kinda like :Smug:

actually i think i did watch this one video full through like a month ago, an Aphex Twin one i think... Rubber Johnny? or something like that, i don't remember... i think it was more like a short film thingy... twas creepy

House of Seance said:
it'd be more tolerable if they'd make actual videos to the song instead of showing the band miming most of the way through... like Radiohead's "Fake Plastic Trees" video... is just like Thom sitting in this grocery cart singing the song... or Madder Mortem's "My Name is Silence" video, of them in a room miming the song... it's kinda like :Smug:

actually i think i did watch this one video full through like a month ago, an Aphex Twin one i think... Rubber Johnny? or something like that, i don't remember... i think it was more like a short film thingy... twas creepy

I actually like that radiohead video/song.

House of Seance said:
an Aphex Twin one i think... Rubber Johnny? or something like that, i don't remember... i think it was more like a short film thingy... twas creepy
that video is a short film by chris cunningham. he has shot several videos for aphex twin in the past and in rubber johnny, the music is by aphex twin as well. it is weird and a little creepy, too. not my favorite of cunningham, though. his video for bjork's all is full of love and aphex twin's come to daddy are top notch.

affinityband said:
well the song 'Just' and the well known 'street spirit' are really cool videos to watch.
well i'll youtube them later and see

the_drip said:
I actually like that radiohead video/song.
i love the song... i just hate the miming... if i spend the duration of the song watching them act like they're playing/singing i might as well look up a live video instead where they actually are, else i can just listen to the actual album since i'm not really missing out on anything

i doubt cunningham would really shoot a video for a metal song. i don't know which directors would be the ones to go to if you want a good and nonstandard video for metal.

Nomansvally said:
Post your thoughts and opinions about Enslaved, this Norwegian Progressive-Extreme Metal band!:cool:

*Any opinions about their new album?
*Favourite albums?
*Favourite songs?
*What's great about them and what's not?
*Attended any gigs, how about it?

Enslaved fans are welcomed!

1. RUUN, like all of Enslaved's recent releases, is the work of a band in obvious creative decline. It's pretty clear at this point that they are out of ideas and are essentially throwing things up to see if they stick: the shoegazery elements in particular were frankly embarassing. The strength of their brilliant early recordings was a dynamic approach to composition, not just in terms of volume, but structure, tempo, texture, intensity and concept. The inner spirit as well as the outer form seethed with passion and energy, sometimes tensely restrained, sometimes fiercely exploding. Often waxing, occasionally waning as if spent. Now, the spirit is gone and only the form remains. What we get are either static songs that go nowhere and do nothing, or irritating attempts to reduce the throughgoing dynamic tension of their career defining works to a technique to be applied without context - soft LOUD, soft LOUD, soft LOUD - it might as well be grunge.

2. Their best overall work is Vikinligr Veldi, but there is some transcendently beautiful material on both Hordane's Land and Frost.

3. My favorite individual song is "Lifandi Lif Undir Hamri".

4. As I mentioned, the early albums are brilliant in their dynamic compositional approach. The post-Frost releases, on the other hand, have none of that spirit and fire, and vary between merely uninspired (Eld and Blodhemn) and fucking dogshit (everything else).

Status
Not open for further replies.