The Fallout Restrospective

I've seen this one before... Their retrospectives are awesome... I especially like the batman arkham retrospective. Check it ooooot!

Have you read the Arkham Asylum graphic novel?
it's a beast dude, you should check it out, piece of artistic genius :D

the joker in the arkham asylum game is a girlscout compared to the joker in the book

nope, but it's pretty fucked up

rev_batman_joker_arkham_asylum.jpg

first time i read it was about 4am one night, scared the fuck outta me
mark hammil WISHES he was that scary

its one of the finest pieces of art ive ever read ola, you'll love it

I wish Fallout 3 had the character, charm and ultimately, engrossing story of 1 and 2. :(

Instead they just turned it into post-apocalyptic Oblivion, with all the boredom, dull quests and no feeling of presence and effect on the game world that comes with that.

I wish Fallout 3 had the character, charm and ultimately, engrossing story of 1 and 2. :(

Instead they just turned it into post-apocalyptic Oblivion, with all the boredom, dull quests and no feeling of presence and effect on the game world that comes with that.

Let's not forget the downright inexcusably bad graphics and animations.
Last-gen graphics and last-LAST-gen animations, ew.
Then there's the broken levelling. Since when has the world levelling up with you ever been a good idea?
Terrible writing.. Yeah, because profanity equals maturity. Wrong, Bethesda. WRONG.
Terrible shooting mechanics. If it had been an FPS with very mild RPG elements it would have been a better game. Or a proper RPG with very minor shooter elements. The way it tries to be both at once just means that both sides fail miserably.

You'd think a game should be all around amazing for it to win so many game of the year awards, yet there isn't a single element that you can really call game of the year quality. As a whole it's worthy of 5/10.

I did end up modding it into something pretty playable and entertaining, just to kill a few hours here and there, but fixing the developer's mistakes and bad design doth not a great game make.

Shame, I wanted to love it.

Let's not forget the downright inexcusably bad graphics and animations.
Last-gen graphics and last-LAST-gen animations, ew.
Then there's the broken levelling. Since when has the world levelling up with you ever been a good idea?
Terrible writing.. Yeah, because profanity equals maturity. Wrong, Bethesda. WRONG.
Terrible shooting mechanics. If it had been an FPS with very mild RPG elements it would have been a better game. Or a proper RPG with very minor shooter elements. The way it tries to be both at once just means that both sides fail miserably.

You'd think a game should be all around amazing for it to win so many game of the year awards, yet there isn't a single element that you can really call game of the year quality. As a whole it's worthy of 5/10.

I did end up modding it into something pretty playable and entertaining, just to kill a few hours here and there, but fixing the developer's mistakes and bad design doth not a great game make.

Shame, I wanted to love it.

Me too but it ultimately became everything I hated about STALKER meets everything I hated about Oblivion.

And I didn't really like anything about either of those games.

Since ever, if you ask me. I finished Oblivion using the exact same katana and full body armor you get on the first quest. So glad I didn´t have to deal with stats and looting. Videogames are better when there´s more storytelling and action and less maths.

Thanks Gareth and Bekanor. I see there's still hope for humanity.

Our saving grace is that Obsidian are working on Fallout 4, which is GREAT news. If anybody knows how to get the game back on track it's Chris Avellone. He's been either directly contributing, or responsible for the best RPG narratives in existence. From the party interaction dialog in Baldur's Gate 2, to the massive narrative of Planescape Torment, to the Fallout games and of course the more recently mighty KOTOR 2. This man has it. If it lands there, Fallout is safe in his hands.

Since ever, if you ask me. I finished Oblivion using the exact same katana and full body armor you get on the first quest. So glad I didn´t have to deal with stats and looting. Videogames are better when there´s more storytelling and action and less maths.

Oblivion? Storytelling?

Oblivion is so light on starts it's ridiculous. And as for looting, why are you playing RPG's if you don't want to loot shit? It actually boggles the mind.
Most games seem to have some sort of system in place so you start the game with basic shit and end it with really powerful stuff.

Whether that be just the order in which the gives you guns (HL2 anyone?) or the way that you start an RPG with basic armour and steadily end up with access to better armour because of the enemies that you fight or the places you can go.

Part of the beauty of NON-scaled levelling is also that you can go adventuring and certain areas won't really be accessible and some areas will and if you can be clever you can get into places and get better loot than you'd usually have at your level which just adds reason to go exploring.
In Fallout 3 and Oblivion it's a complete waste of time exploring. You're not gonna find any treasures at level 3, you're not gonna be rewarded for trekking through a forest or across the wastes for 15 bloody minutes. You're just gonna find some raiders/imps and nothing actually cool.

Thanks Gareth and Bekanor. I see there's still hope for humanity.

Our saving grace is that Obsidian are working on Fallout 4, which is GREAT news. If anybody knows how to get the game back on track it's Chris Avellone. He's been either directly contributing, or responsible for the best RPG narratives in existence. From the party interaction dialog in Baldur's Gate 2, to the massive narrative of Planescape Torment, to the Fallout games and of course the more recently mighty KOTOR 2. This man has it. If it lands there, Fallout is safe in his hands.

oh that guy dude kotor 2 as well? that explains your constant raving about it at me on msn recently aha.

Oblivion? Storytelling?

Oblivion is so light on starts it's ridiculous. And as for looting, why are you playing RPG's if you don't want to loot shit? It actually boggles the mind.
Most games seem to have some sort of system in place so you start the game with basic shit and end it with really powerful stuff.

Whether that be just the order in which the gives you guns (HL2 anyone?) or the way that you start an RPG with basic armour and steadily end up with access to better armour because of the enemies that you fight or the places you can go.

Part of the beauty of NON-scaled levelling is also that you can go adventuring and certain areas won't really be accessible and some areas will and if you can be clever you can get into places and get better loot than you'd usually have at your level which just adds reason to go exploring.
In Fallout 3 and Oblivion it's a complete waste of time exploring. You're not gonna find any treasures at level 3, you're not gonna be rewarded for trekking through a forest or across the wastes for 15 bloody minutes. You're just gonna find some raiders/imps and nothing actually cool.

Oblivion has PLENTY of storytelling. The Oblivion world has lots of legends, heroes, races, sidequests, guilds, NPCs and voice work. I don´t like it that much because IMO the medieval setting is incredibly cheesy and I can´t identify myself with the main character.

I´m ok with levelling and getting better as the game goes, I´m just against you having to spend hours killing bugs, doing repetitive boring shit and running around every inch of a huge map looking for items and deciding on a stats screen which one you should bother to carry based on tons of variables.

I really liked Fallout 3 because, while I wandered through the wasteland I wouldn't meet "magical +15 critical guns", but abandoned vaults, a playboy with lots of wives, a child prison camp, and I could complete the quests for the sake of story and immersion, instead of finding enemies I can´t beat just because I didn´t spent time enough doing repetitive boring shit. Because these looting games aren´t even about how skilled you are with the controls, they´re all about how much stats your character has.

It's funny. Myself, along with a majority of the hardcore early Fallout fanbase were deathly afraid of Bethesda branching out in a more mainstream fashion with FO3 would draw players like yourself to the franchise. It seems we were right to worry :lol:

In all fairness, it sounds like you'd be more at home playing first person shooters. You seem to be playing role playing games and looking for the parts that don't involve any role playing.