The future of metal

I would like to say that all the NS stuff is a phase that black metal will grow out of, but it's probably more likely that it'll be a fairly dominant (if marginalized) force as people continue to cling to tradition. Which is probably the surest way of metal 'surviving' for more than another 20-30 years. The 'orthodox black metal' scene is another example of zealotry pushing the genre.

The current 'bedroom black metal' and 'DSBM' craze is either a phase or the (sad?) thing that metal is doomed to become as the internet becomes the driving force of the new 'underground'. We can already see that some bands resist this fiercely, and that may go on for a while.

I think that death metal is the sort of thing that may wax and wane a bit, but it'll stick around for a long while.

Hard to say, but I honestly don't see metal ever completely dying. Even if it takes on other forms, people will always crave violent, aggressive, bombastic music. Or cathartic music. Elitist music. These are things metal does well.

The post-rock influence on black metal has been happening for a while now and is presenting the genre with a significant shift in sound and aesthetic that I think could potentially be huge. Although there is quite a large dichotomy between the people who love and hate this subgenre, I believe that bands like Black Lotus, Fen, Wolves in the Throne Room, Krallice, Altar of Plagues, Cobalt, etc. comprise what is coming to be a popular and influential movement.

I think we'll have a greater understanding of all the elements that make metal what it is today. And therefore there will be even more subgenres.

I'm wondering if in the future, some middle eastern countries will be liberated from oppressive theocracies, and therefore bring a shit ton of new material to the table. Also, Asia's metal scene is still largely untapped.

http://www.myspace.com/scarabegypt

I think nu-metal will probably become to metal what metal became to rock: an offshoot that thrives without killing the original.

I'd like to imagine melodic/power metal has the capability to thrive, even in the US, among mainstream audiences. There just needs to be the right band. Many people I know who hear, say, old Sonata Arctica, say they love it and wonder why they haven't heard that type of metal in the States before.

Even a death metal band can go to 15 on Billboard and pack stadium theaters--if it's backed up by a hilarious cartoon. :p

I think nu-metal will probably become to metal what metal became to rock: an offshoot that thrives without killing the original.
I think it's been that way for years, actually. Radio-friendly nu-metal bands are the hair metal of the late '90s and lots of suburbanites and trailer trash still love that crap. Marginally more respectable bands like Deftones (though not my thing, are a far cry from Turd Bizkit or whatever in terms of talent and influences) are still releasing albums and touring, to my knowledge. Actually, for a while there was a bunch of weird cross-pollination between American nu-metal and Japanese visual kei -- two of the worst 'genres' of music shattering global bounderies... heh. So yeah, it's still thriving, in its own way.

RedFox742 said:
I'd like to imagine melodic/power metal has the capability to thrive, even in the US, among mainstream audiences. There just needs to be the right band.
I'd guess Dragonforce were about as close to that as it's gonna get.

I think it's been that way for years, actually. Radio-friendly nu-metal bands are the hair metal of the late '90s and lots of suburbanites and trailer trash still love that crap. Marginally more respectable bands like Deftones (though not my thing, are a far cry from Turd Bizkit or whatever in terms of talent and influences) are still releasing albums and touring, to my knowledge. Actually, for a while there was a bunch of weird cross-pollination between American nu-metal and Japanese visual kei -- two of the worst 'genres' of music shattering global bounderies... heh. So yeah, it's still thriving, in its own way.

I agrue with you that nu-metal was the hair metal of the late 90s and that like hair metal is now nu metal will be a nostalgia music in a few years from now and you will see festivels like you see for hair metal.I also agrue that trailer trash people love hair metal and nu metal.

I am a suburbanite and don't enjoy being stereotyped by someone whom I have yet to see make any sort of statement as to what his own taste in metal is.
I guess you haven't been reading the black and death metal threads. Anyhow, I don't see why you should be offended unless you're into nu-metal. I know suburbanites with good taste in music, too.

I was not sterotyped you Eligos and if you want to know what my metal taste my favorite metal subgeners are black metal,thrash metal, death metal, doom and sludge metal.BANDS THAT I LIKE IN METAL ARE IRON MAIDEN,EARLY SLAYER,BURZUM,DEATH,MORBID ANGEL,KING DIAMOND,NERVERMORE,DOWN,CANDLEMASS AND LOTS MORE.

clone metal: (2049) disposable hybrid human version with separate orifices on various locations on their bodies. With 20-30 of these creatures chained on a stage they can emit a greater depth of extremeity of various sounds of the normal human orifice(s) than any single human band can create. While classical metal style picks of the last century are played over the immense belching, screaming, regurgitation, flatulation, groaning, etc.

RedFox742 said:
I'd like to imagine melodic/power metal has the capability to thrive, even in the US, among mainstream audiences. There just needs to be the right band.

I'd guess Dragonforce were about as close to that as it's gonna get.

Which sort of raised my hopes that the style could find footing. Hell, I found power metal--and metal in general--through DF back in 2004. Still love 'em, but there are plenty of more accomplished bands in a similar that deserve the popularity. Blind Guardian?