The Gaming Thread

Dammit, Niki is trumping me in posts in here again. I need to cast Resurrection on my nerd prowess and game game game.

Jason, have you made it through Amnesia all the way yet?

haha yes, you nerds come and go, but my nerdiness, my obsession with games, much like the watchful eye of the lich....is eternal

if on sale = for free then yes :) they've said they're releasing a patch soon-ish though, so maybe that will make the game playable (6 months after release)

well i liked warcraft 3, and i like disciples 2 and 3 a lot, and D3 is a buggy mess :lol:, but still awesome.

so maybe, im very tempted

I seem to be one of the few people that couldn't stand WC3. I went into it expecting to really enojy it (since I was a BIG fan of Warcraft 2) but was very disappointed by the small scale battles and generally boring gameplay with so little variety(in my opinion). I also hated the graphics from day 1, but that's a nitpick, I would not judge a game by that. I think I went into it expecting them tot rump Starcraft, but it turned out a completely different kind of RTS and that's not what I wanted. To this day I don't like Hero-centric RTS games, I like armies and base building.

Also I can't stand elves... Just putting that out there, I don't care much for elves in anything. They are tolerable on the side but I don't get some people's obsession with them, and the Night Elves are the most annoying ones yet, not to mention Blizzard throwing them in your face like some god damn mascot.

Actually I hate WoW too(don't even get me started on that pile of over-rated crap). What's wrong with Blizzard these days? At least Starcraft 2 was good but it deviated so little it couldn't fail.

I sense this post will not be met with much approval :lol:

you think wc2 had more variety than 3? :lol:

i partly agree about WoW, but that's because i never really liked the game that much... but blizzard has never made a bad game tbh, wow is a great game it's just a matter of taste

No, love of WC2 was going by different standards from simpler times, I realize it didn't have any variety (like one unit is different, death knight and mage had slightly different attack power). I loved WC2 so I wanted to love WC3, but I didn't dislike WC3 by comparing it to WC2.. I was comparing it more directly to Starcraft. I wanted WC3 to advance on that formula but they took an entirely different route that I didn't enjoy much.

I can't argue that it is not a matter of taste, clearly many peopel worldwide LOVE WC3 and especially WoW and I'm in the minority. WoW is still over-rated and many better MMO's get overlooked in favor of WoW, which is shitty for anyone trying to compete when they have the superior product. Thankfully WoW subscriptions finally going down as people seek alternatives. I suspect The Old Republic has something to do with that.

belac i agree with you, i mean playing as undead you could have like.....7 frost dragons and it would eat up all your resources. thats BS, i miss 200 capacity.

that being said, even on a small scale it was fun. elves have always been shit imo :p. i liked uprooting the trees and sending them in with my main force during the final crush

of course i play against bots cause i know i can win :lol:

On the other hand... Total War series is fantastic. Thank you massive scale battles:)

Anyone here ever playing Galactic Civilizations 2? I don't know if there are any turn based strategy fans here but GC2 is probably the best of its kind. Even better than the Civilization series and that's saying a lot.

Galactic Civilizations 2 lets you govern a massive intergalactic empire on a HUGE map with many unique and interesting species to contend with either diplomatically or by war, or maybe you just want to be traders and build a rich, influential empire. You can win many ways, depending on your playstyle, and also on how you can best contend with your opponents. Sometimes you try to win by being aggressive only to find you're outgunned, so you make friends with another species and turn them against your enemies to even the odds. The thing is even one game on a large map can take you a RETARDED amount of hours to conquer, and due to the extreme complexity, factors and large amount of decisions you must make each turn you can get fucking OWNED if you make too many bad decisions. It has a fairly steep learning curve, especially trying to effectively manage your economy while still expanding at a sufficient rate which is the most important yet difficult factor to balance, but it's so satisfying when you get a good game going. The largest map size ends up feeling less like a game, and more like just existing within the galaxy competing with your neighbours, but if you start on a small map with a couple other species you can finish in a few hours.

The nice thing is you can create your own race from scratch, and although you can base it on another species technology so you have a vanilla ship roster to choose from, you can design an infinite amount of ships yourself engineer style and deploy entire fleets of unique ships to lay waste to your opponents. And I don't mean just changing a couple guns around, I mean they give you building blocks and you can create any look or design you want from making a Star Destroyer, or make something that looks like Cthulhu's bastard love-child. Not to mention the game still manages to not take itself too seriously, most dialogue and interactions range from humorous to hilarious, especially the things your robotic assistant says when describing any research you complete.

It's the kind of game only certain people like but I figured I'd mention it (If I have not already here).

I can't argue that it is not a matter of taste, clearly many peopel worldwide LOVE WC3 and especially WoW and I'm in the minority. WoW is still over-rated and many better MMO's get overlooked in favor of WoW, which is shitty for anyone trying to compete when they have the superior product. Thankfully WoW subscriptions finally going down as people seek alternatives. I suspect The Old Republic has something to do with that.

I have to raise an eyebrow whenever anyone says that there are MANY superior games within the genre to WoW. An MMO takes a LOT of time to accurately judge, and the idea of any one person having put that much time in enough MMO's (keeping in mind the longevity, patches and advancement of the game etc that takes months to years to have a good take on) to objectively state that there are MANY superior ones...is well...hard to buy.

On the other hand... Total War series is fantastic. Thank you massive scale battles:)

Anyone here ever playing Galactic Civilizations 2? I don't know if there are any turn based strategy fans here but GC2 is probably the best of its kind. Even better than the Civilization series and that's saying a lot.

Galactic Civilizations 2 lets you govern a massive intergalactic empire on a HUGE map with many unique and interesting species to contend with either diplomatically or by war, or maybe you just want to be traders and build a rich, influential empire. You can win many ways, depending on your playstyle, and also on how you can best contend with your opponents. Sometimes you try to win by being aggressive only to find you're outgunned, so you make friends with another species and turn them against your enemies to even the odds. The thing is even one game on a large map can take you a RETARDED amount of hours to conquer, and due to the extreme complexity, factors and large amount of decisions you must make each turn you can get fucking OWNED if you make too many bad decisions. It has a fairly steep learning curve, especially trying to effectively manage your economy while still expanding at a sufficient rate which is the most important yet difficult factor to balance, but it's so satisfying when you get a good game going. The largest map size ends up feeling less like a game, and more like just existing within the galaxy competing with your neighbours, but if you start on a small map with a couple other species you can finish in a few hours.

The nice thing is you can create your own race from scratch, and although you can base it on another species technology so you have a vanilla ship roster to choose from, you can design an infinite amount of ships yourself engineer style and deploy entire fleets of unique ships to lay waste to your opponents. And I don't mean just changing a couple guns around, I mean they give you building blocks and you can create any look or design you want from making a Star Destroyer, or make something that looks like Cthulhu's bastard love-child. Not to mention the game still manages to not take itself too seriously, most dialogue and interactions range from humorous to hilarious, especially the things your robotic assistant says when describing any research you complete.

It's the kind of game only certain people like but I figured I'd mention it (If I have not already here).

hahaha i have heard of it but never played. i am interested in sins of a solar empire though, i think there is a new one coming out and it seems "similar" ie dimplomacy and junk. theres also one (which may be the one im thinking of) called like Xs or something, was advertised on steam in the past month.

basicly what im saying is i have an interest in your topic belac :lol:

No, love of WC2 was going by different standards from simpler times, I realize it didn't have any variety (like one unit is different, death knight and mage had slightly different attack power). I loved WC2 so I wanted to love WC3, but I didn't dislike WC3 by comparing it to WC2.. I was comparing it more directly to Starcraft. I wanted WC3 to advance on that formula but they took an entirely different route that I didn't enjoy much.

fair enough :)

yes, it's very irritating that people don't try out other mmo's because of wow, i can give you that. personally, i loved warhammer online, but because of bad patching and wow it died... swtor has fared better, so that's nice at least. it's not really an mmo though, feels like a star wars mod for neverwinter nights.

I have to raise an eyebrow whenever anyone says that there are MANY superior games within the genre to WoW. An MMO takes a LOT of time to accurately judge, and the idea of any one person having put that much time in enough MMO's (keeping in mind the longevity, patches and advancement of the game etc that takes months to years to have a good take on) to objectively state that there are MANY superior ones...is well...hard to buy.

Let's go with "there are better MMO's out there" then. I get into rants every once in a while lol. Either way it doesn't matter I'm not even that big a fan of MMO's, I've tried several but I never invested in them like some people, I was never convinced to stick around too long, and WoW never hit a chord with me. I think I just don't care for the Warcraft universe anymore.

I'll just say this, no matter what I think of the last 2 Warcraft installments, I'm still going to play and love Diablo 3, and Starcraft 2 kicks my ass even if it is remarkably similar to the first. Thus I end my bitching

i cant convince myself to pay for a game every month.

60$ and free online is the way it should be, expansion packs every couple years. dont even care about the business side of it

the only disappointing thing about starcraft 2 is *note Starcraft and SC2 spoilers, dont read on*

kerrigan made human again, that was lame imo. it was tragic that raynor lost her :p, but now it is like that entire portion of starcraft about them bringing in the beacon to call the zerg, and in the process wiping the planet clean didnt even matter. i always liked how brutal it was, but now its like oh that all happened a long time ago but we got the girl back :D.
basicly i feel like they went back and changed a tragedy into a lame happy ending, i hope enough blood is shed in the heart of the swarm to return this back to equilibrium