The Gaming Thread

Halo 4 is starting to look pretty cool...it sounds like a really ambitious project. Half of me thinks it will be awesome, and half of me thinks they'll utterly drop the ball because they're not Bungie.

sometimes i wonder myself. like is newer halo just stale because its a reskin of an old xbox game (with upgrades obviously), or is it actually uninteresting.

i guess i mean that more in general, i only played halo 1 and 2

sometimes i wonder myself. like is newer halo just stale because its a reskin of an old xbox game (with upgrades obviously), or is it actually uninteresting.

i guess i mean that more in general, i only played halo 1 and 2

Come on, Battlefield exists within the boundaries of one of the most tired genres ever to exist.

This isn't to say it's not fun to play...but it's a reskin of a reskin of thirty other reskins...+ jets.

yeah i was agreeing with part of what you said :lol:, perhaps i just misunderstood what you were driving at. i used to love old halo, playing the story with friends, and over the years ive become more and more disinterested. maybe its cause i killed it playing with friends all the time back in the day and there hasnt been enough change to bring me back in. i played some halo reach and didnt feel the same draw as i did when i first loaded up halo 2.

to put it in perspective bf bad company 2 was my first online shooter, so with all there was to do in it i was quite amazed. bf3 expanded upon that for me, but had i been playing since bf2 or 1942 (have it but only played against bots) i could see myself getting sick of it.
the campaign is a good example, it sucks i cant even bear to finish it :lol:. just another linear shooting story mode in middle eastern town, cant even use vehicles.

I never thought Halo was anything special myself. From the first time I played it I thought it was pretty average, and although I admit I had fun playing through the campaign in co-op (hell a lot of fun, we played on hard and laughed the whole time) after we beat it I never saw a reason to go back, and as far as deathmatch it was utterly outdated by PC shooters from years before it so I was bored.

I guess it was a step forward to console shooters but I don't think it was anywhere as well done as say Perfect Dark which was far more complex (although graphically inferior duh), and although some would say Halo had a bigger effect on console shooters, I would say it just had more players.

Nice, Is till have not played. For some reason in the latest MK games I've been awesome with Ermac.

He is really good in this one as well. Pretty OP at midlevel play, and frequently active in top tier gaming. He is a punish machine, being the main reason. Play the game man, it is truly one of the best MK games. Actual depth to it, AND it stays true to its aesthetics. Probably the most single player content in a fighter game as well (even though thats obviously not the purpose of fighters).

I never thought Halo was anything special myself. From the first time I played it I thought it was pretty average, and although I admit I had fun playing through the campaign in co-op (hell a lot of fun, we played on hard and laughed the whole time) after we beat it I never saw a reason to go back, and as far as deathmatch it was utterly outdated by PC shooters from years before it so I was bored.

I guess it was a step forward to console shooters but I don't think it was anywhere as well done as say Perfect Dark which was far more complex (although graphically inferior duh), and although some would say Halo had a bigger effect on console shooters, I would say it just had more players.

If you're talking about the first Halo game...things have changed since then. They have gone from a game where a multiplayer mode was added as a novelty to a game that focuses on multiplayer and remains on the cutting edge.

I've played Halo: Reach for hundreds of hours and can confidently say it's my favorite shooter of all time 5ever.

To me, it's perfectly balanced.

It takes more damage to kill a player than in the slew of recent military shooters, so it rewards teamwork in a manner that feels very organic without forcing the point...but doesn't make the 'lone wolf' style impossible either. The gameplay mechanics make sense...four shots remove the replenishing shield and a fifth shot to the head is a kill. Hitboxes are beautiful, I seldom feel cheated. Weapons are varied, but they all have their own charms and they never feel redundant...and they are all effective enough where I'll use anything.

The forge mode is unprecedented. People have been given an incredible tool that makes them capable of inventing new maps and gametypes - including a game mode called "Grifball," a Halo sport that now has it's own league. Two teams with hammers and swords vie for a ball in the center, then try to carry it to the opposing team's goal. Players are then given the ability to share these maps with each other, and Bungie is gracious enough to sort through the millions of entries and to place the best into it's online play cycles...so playlists change every month or two.

Gametypes range from the the very basic to the ultra complicated, and to the absolutely absurd. I've played modes that focus on single shot precision and modes that focus on teamwork on the very large scale. Classic modes like Capture the Flag, Oddball (mobile Cap the Flag) and Infection (zombies)...where survivors try to last the round equipped with shotguns and pistols while players with lunging swords chase them down...and new ones like hockey or skiball. One of my recent favorites is called Invasion. Teams try to capture three pairs of points on the map one at a time, opening new weapon and vehicle loadouts and they accomplish this. The opposing team tries to keep them from holding these two points for 20 seconds. The clock decreases when the circle is stood in until it's at 7, the last 7 seconds must be held all at once.

Maps are versatile and vastly different from one another....some of my favorites are Boneyard - an ENORMOUS gutted ship/warehouse area, and the largest map every created in Halo. Spire - a map that centers around an enormous structure with dozens of entry points and several smaller satellite structures around the base. Paradiso - A map that the Bungie staff created in it's own forge mode tool. It's an island with three structures around a mountain with a cave system at the base. Warthogs buzz around the base while Banshees fly overhead, snipers rape people from random holes and tanks battle across the center.

Everything is mitigated. There is no ultimate strategy that works 100% of the time. Vehicles can be boarded and destroyed, or stolen from the enemy if they aren't protected or careful. Larger weapon spawns take time, so there's little guarantee that any one player will whore a single weapon for the whole game as teams are constantly pushed and pulled across the map. Assholes who betray teammates can be booted, and quitters are punished by being banned for fifteen minutes after a certain number of abandoned games.

There's an easy to use theater mode, something Call Of Duty didn't pick up until it's seventh entry (and even then it sucks balls) and Gears still doesn't have, where players can capture their exploits from a variety of angles/POVs and share them with other players.

They even recently brought back classic Halo - no sprint, no jetpacks, no invisibility - for the old-school diehards in it's own playlist with some classic maps.

Kills are made more satisfying by a system of medals that denote certain actions from different killstreaks to wiping out an entire team in a few seconds. Character customization is aesthetic only, but it leads to hundreds of different combinations...even more through color and emblem customization.

The game is literally jam-packed with content.

I would argue that while Perfect Dark WAS influential to shooters and is still an awesome game, Halo has done more for multiplayer shooters than Perfect Dark by far and continues to set an incredibly high bar.

TL;DR Halo is absolute stunning, I can't think of anything I'd rather play.

And all I have to say to that is I've never played it. lol. Only played Halo 1 and 2 and I was talking strictly about hose two. Based on those two games I never went back for more. If Halo Reach upped everything considerably I could see it being a better game, but Halo 1 & 2 just are not that great. And with that I'd like to ask what you think of the first few games in the series. Do they stand up to the praise you put on Halo:Reach, or is Reach way beyond the original games?

halos multiplayer was always barebones, never saw the appeal, i only played co-op :lol:.
never owned an xbox either

perfect dark was my favorite mp shooter of all time probably, ill have to load it up sometime, i remember having a ridiculously high rank (like after a while you needed so much to rank up.....the rank up system didnt even make sense but it was interesting i guess)

lol, yeah the star system was somewhat random I found. I tested it a bunch of times and half the time I'd play a match specifically to get a medal and I'd get the ones I wasn't trying for. I also had a ridiculous rank, I played Perfect Dark a hell of a lot. At the time 8 bots plus players?? That was amazing for a console shooter. Rare knew how to use N64's full power that's for sure.

I played through the single-player and some multiplayer on emulators about 5 months ago, it's still a cool game, even though it's very dated :lol:

lol, yeah the star system was somewhat random I found. I tested it a bunch of times and half the time I'd play a match specifically to get a medal and I'd get the ones I wasn't trying for. I also had a ridiculous rank, I played Perfect Dark a hell of a lot. At the time 8 bots plus players?? That was amazing for a console shooter. Rare knew how to use N64's full power that's for sure.

I played through the single-player and some multiplayer on emulators about 5 months ago, it's still a cool game, even though it's very dated :lol:

I do miss bots. I wish some modern shooters would bring them back.

i really got into battlefield normal mode lately. always loved hardcore (no HUD, 60% health, no 3d spotting) but normal mode definitely rewards aim. you dont need to get the first shot if you make headshots. rewards skill.

i also liked needing a good squad (of 4). having a squad working together, reviving, healing, giving ammo, spotting, motion sensors, mines can EASILY dominate an entire game of lone wolves. also loved rush mode, trying to arm a bomb in the enemy base and defending it for a good 30 seconds was insane, loaded up on C4 and smoke grenades :lol:. thats i suppose what i loved about battlefield, it may not ever be perfectly balanced, but theres so many guns, vehicles, classes, accessories etc that there will never be one sure fire strategy. bad company 2 had fucking amazing rush maps

those i suppose were what drew me to those over call of duty. which is more spawn, run as fast as you can and fire first, best man wins. when teamwork becomes involved you can get some unbelievable games. halo 1 was like that (please note that i only played it with friends, so they set up the matches), just mindless deathmatch. what miasma is describing actually sounds like a lot of fun, and was not my multiplayer experiance at all.
those arcade shooters have their place but i just cant get into it for long periods

i used to run meat sims all day every day. that was back when i liked playing with cheats and stuff. got pretty far in terms of difficulty but those were back before my difficulty masochist reform :lol:
i remember fighting dark sims, that was insanity

damn this forum is active right now