The Gaming Thread

Yeah, I played Slender for a second (because that's really about as long as it is), but I see it more as a tech demo. Once you get killed once it's like "Well, cool...I've shit my pants, and that's enough of that". But it's not like there is any real gameplay there.

Still awesome though and it's a funny story.
I had my wife play it and it terrified her (because we live in the woods). Well after that, I noticed that she had put this really nice picture of some woods as her desktop background. I commented on it once and she said something like "yeah, they are really cool trees! Sometimes I just look in the background because it seems like there is something JUST behind the fog".

So being the artist that I am, I had to fuck with her. I replace the image with this:
http://dustypeterson.squarespace.com/storage/background6.jpg

..which is the exact same image except for a subtle addition.
It took about 2 months but she finally saw it and shit bricks.

The long cons are always the best.

you're evil dusty :lol:

Got to the Gargoyle in Dark Souls. So far that taurus demon was the easiest, I dont know if I glitched it or something but I literally got under him and just swung my sword until he died without getting hit even once

The Taurus demon is a bitch nigga. He's more of an initiation than anything. He and the Capra demon (which is coming up for you) are regular enemies later in the game.

Been playing NFS Most Wanted, so much fucking fun! I spent 23 minutes ramming into cops and made like 60K points, and the challenge for the aero kit for my Nissan GTR was so hard but fucking fun.

Its way better than The Run, I can actually drive around and do whatever the fuck I want.

Yeah I know he wasn't a big boss, I just found it funny that he was such a pushover. I was not sure if I broke the game or something lol.

I need to get a new NFS game, I loved the old games. I played NFS 2, 3 and High stakes all the time way back but I lost interest during the whole Fast and the Furious, street racing games. I just don't find those interesting, but I'd like to play a new update of the old style NFS games.

I wanted some basic advice about Dark Souls from those of you that know the game. I'm trying to decide how to spend my points in the long term. So far I've already decided to go with melee as my main focus, and since I want the ability to wield bigger weapons I have invested in a lot of strength to get the high damage attacks going with two handed weapons. Generally my philosophy in most games the first time is to deal as much damage as possible and end fights before they can get going, so I tend to like either stealth when available, or heavy hitters.

However given the nature of this game I'm not sure investing in a two-handed weapon type character is the best option. I'm wondering if Dexterity would be a better focus overall, because with that I have the advantage of being able to switch to bows, and have bonuses on faster weapons, plus more incentive to use the shield which so far I rarely use. I rely more on dodging and killing in as few hits as possible, though I do use a sword/shield, especially in tight spaces where a two-hander is constricted. I tried dual-wielding and that seemed clunky and weak. Not sure if that's a future option but it seems completely useless.

Or is it as simple as investing in both Strength and Dexterity evenly? Does it become hard enough to level up that points can be wasted? Is Caleb ruining the game by asking these questions?

Edit: I'm also wondering how well a magic focused character fairs. So far most enemies are not too hard to keep at a distance, and it seems a mage might be effective if the damage is high enough. I was thinking of trying that out next

I wanted some basic advice about Dark Souls from those of you that know the game. I'm trying to decide how to spend my points in the long term. So far I've already decided to go with melee as my main focus, and since I want the ability to wield bigger weapons I have invested in a lot of strength to get the high damage attacks going with two handed weapons. Generally my philosophy in most games the first time is to deal as much damage as possible and end fights before they can get going, so I tend to like either stealth when available, or heavy hitters.

However given the nature of this game I'm not sure investing in a two-handed weapon type character is the best option. I'm wondering if Dexterity would be a better focus overall, because with that I have the advantage of being able to switch to bows, and have bonuses on faster weapons, plus more incentive to use the shield which so far I rarely use. I rely more on dodging and killing in as few hits as possible, though I do use a sword/shield, especially in tight spaces where a two-hander is constricted. I tried dual-wielding and that seemed clunky and weak. Not sure if that's a future option but it seems completely useless.

Or is it as simple as investing in both Strength and Dexterity evenly? Does it become hard enough to level up that points can be wasted? Is Caleb ruining the game by asking these questions?

Edit: I'm also wondering how well a magic focused character fairs. So far most enemies are not too hard to keep at a distance, and it seems a mage might be effective if the damage is high enough. I was thinking of trying that out next

Alright, I'll address each question in the order in which they were asked. Firstly, you can do well enough spreading points around as long as you don't Skyrim the fuck out of your character. I would probably, to be safe, make a choice between large, unwieldy weapons or small quick ones based on your playstyle to maximize damage. Strength scales (depending on the weapon) swords, axes hammers. Dexterity (again, depending on the weapon) scales things like spears, whips, curved swords and bows. If you spend a lot of time dodging, you would probably be wise to stick with smaller weapons so you don't weigh yourself down. The alternative is to invest heavily in endurance, which is what I did with my build. I use a halberd/greatshield with medium armor, and I still have a medium roll (three stages if you didn't know. 25% or below of total carry weight earns you a quick roll, 50% or below earns a medium, anything else earns a heavy roll). I tend to use two-handing opportunistically, rather than constantly, but I've seen players be successful two-handing exclusively.

As far as casters go, yes and no. It's an entirely different game. My caster is a glass cannon, two hits will kill her. One if it's powerful enough. Some spells have a substantial cast time, and you have to invest in attunement and faith/intelligence heavily in order to make it work, but they definitely pack a punch. Some bosses I can kill in just a few hits. The biggest problem with casters is finding spells. Sorceries come from a couple different sources, but you have to find both merchants and they are well hidden. Pyromancy as well, though it's a little easier. Don't even get me started on miracles, I still haven't found some of those. It's doable, it just takes some work to get them to the point where you want them to be.

yeah i started off as str just to build up some carry capacity and now im mostly putting it into dex so my 1 handed swords do more damage. also endurance just for stamina and defense. vitality just so i can take a few more hits (i tend to raise all my defensive stats together to get the most out of them, although resistance proved to be not worth it)

theres some tough bosses, but once you figure out their moves it gets a lot easier. the hydra is a good example of that imo. also i fucking LOL'd when i saw the moonlight butterfly. wtf

Alright, I'll address each question in the order in which they were asked. Firstly, you can do well enough spreading points around as long as you don't Skyrim the fuck out of your character. I would probably, to be safe, make a choice between large, unwieldy weapons or small quick ones based on your playstyle to maximize damage. Strength scales (depending on the weapon) swords, axes hammers. Dexterity (again, depending on the weapon) scales things like spears, whips, curved swords and bows. If you spend a lot of time dodging, you would probably be wise to stick with smaller weapons so you don't weigh yourself down. The alternative is to invest heavily in endurance, which is what I did with my build. I use a halberd/greatshield with medium armor, and I still have a medium roll (three stages if you didn't know. 25% or below of total carry weight earns you a quick roll, 50% or below earns a medium, anything else earns a heavy roll). I tend to use two-handing opportunistically, rather than constantly, but I've seen players be successful two-handing exclusively.

As far as casters go, yes and no. It's an entirely different game. My caster is a glass cannon, two hits will kill her. One if it's powerful enough. Some spells have a substantial cast time, and you have to invest in attunement and faith/intelligence heavily in order to make it work, but they definitely pack a punch. Some bosses I can kill in just a few hits. The biggest problem with casters is finding spells. Sorceries come from a couple different sources, but you have to find both merchants and they are well hidden. Pyromancy as well, though it's a little easier. Don't even get me started on miracles, I still haven't found some of those. It's doable, it just takes some work to get them to the point where you want them to be.

Thank you, that answers all my questions :).

I'm playing an INTENSELY feminine game called Ni No Kuni.
It's definitely not my style art-wise (in general, I don't like anime), but the game play is killer!

It's basically an old school Dragon Warrior/Dragon Quest game (by the same guy, too, I believe) with cel shaded art like Princess Mononoke (Studio Ghibli).
So very very high production values and old school RPG gameplay.

Fuck yeah.

DMC is fucking great.

Double Dragon Neon is such an awesome remake!

Metal Gear Solid demo is crazy fun probably gonna grab that.

Castlevania mirror of fate looks awesome as well!

I need to start saving up some extra cash.

I jsut got back into dark souls after not playing for a while, life got too busy for a time consuming game. So I jumped back in today and noticed the game should be called "walking around for 10 minutes, between dying". It's actually getting a little tedious walking such long distances and fighting easy enemies over and over just to fight for like 1 minute against something strong and then dying, and walking for another 10-15 minutes to my death point, fighting 1-2 minutes, ten walking another 10-15 minutes. It's not that I mind the challenge, it's satisfying kicking something ass after a few tries but the tedium in between is making it boring. I have to keep stopping and coming back when I'm up for fighting legions of one hit kills again for 10 minutes. I noticed trying to just skip enemies leads to a guaranteed death when they catch up with you.

Its kind of weird that so far the really intimidating looking enemies are relatively easy and then every once in a while I come across an enemy thats deceptively strong. For example, the first boss is a cakewalk, first Tauren I killed one try, the gargoyles took me two tries, and the Hydra (which I was certain would be a headache to kill) took two tries. Then I came across this little asshole knight with a big club thinking I would walk right through him and he killed me at least 10 times. One shot kills everytime. Lol the big demons are the least trouble