The Gaming Thread

for me, it's mostly the story that ruins the game for me, especially with all the ridiculous wrestling introductions "MEET BLABLABLA" and the villains constantly heckling the hero and telling their plans so you know exactly what to do because the evil dude said so (and of course, laughed evily while doing it)

gameplay wise, i'm not very fond of the skill system, i liked it when you had to make choices with the skills, some of the skills are downright ridiculous (like the rofl-zombies or machine gun crossbows), there's no exploring anymore really because the game constantly points the way so you don't get lost (i do have a love/hate relationship with act3 in diablo 2, haha). oh, and i do not like the item system, i played through entire normal, nightmare and most of hell without finding any set items or uniques? i remember finding several of each the first time i played d2, in normal only... much of the stuff feels like they have tried to balance the game, but the game doesn't really need balancing since there is no pvp or anything like that. at the same time, items feels much more important in d3, which means you need to grind more or use the auction house.

the things i liked best about the game is the monk, the thief character/mercenary (he was pretty funny iirc), the cinematics and the fact that all skills felt more or less useful (something which was pretty ridiculous in d2 - who ever got skills like "find potion" or "bone ward"?)

with all that said, i haven't played the expansion set, so i cannot say anything about that :)

for me, it's mostly the story that ruins the game for me, especially with all the ridiculous wrestling introductions "MEET BLABLABLA" and the villains constantly heckling the hero and telling their plans so you know exactly what to do because the evil dude said so (and of course, laughed evily while doing it)

gameplay wise, i'm not very fond of the skill system, i liked it when you had to make choices with the skills, some of the skills are downright ridiculous (like the rofl-zombies or machine gun crossbows), there's no exploring anymore really because the game constantly points the way so you don't get lost (i do have a love/hate relationship with act3 in diablo 2, haha). oh, and i do not like the item system, i played through entire normal, nightmare and most of hell without finding any set items or uniques? i remember finding several of each the first time i played d2, in normal only... much of the stuff feels like they have tried to balance the game, but the game doesn't really need balancing since there is no pvp or anything like that. at the same time, items feels much more important in d3, which means you need to grind more or use the auction house.

the things i liked best about the game is the monk, the thief character/mercenary (he was pretty funny iirc), the cinematics and the fact that all skills felt more or less useful (something which was pretty ridiculous in d2 - who ever got skills like "find potion" or "bone ward"?)

with all that said, i haven't played the expansion set, so i cannot say anything about that :)

The story is neither better nor worse than any other diablo game imo and the cheesy villan speeches are found in every game/movie. I think the acts are much better in D3 than i D2, I do truly hate act 2 and 3 in D2 and never really liked the exploring thing, it is all about the mass killing and slaughtering of demons which is a far better experience in D3 than it was in D2.

Having said that they still have improved ALOT of things since the game first launched and it is a much better game now, there are more sets and uniques now but most of them you have to make yourself using the blacksmith skill and finding the right parts.

act 2 is my favourite act in d2 :lol: but seriously, master tactician über death lord demon in d3 act 3 tells his plans to his enemy :erk: they have definitely succeeded in the satisfaction of killing stuff in d3 though, i agree. however, i find the ragdoll bodies flying around a bit ridiculous :D

the graphics, story etc felt more evil in d1&2 imo

worst part of the story is when they kill off cain for shock effect by random fairy chick bitch

mechanic wise, there are lots of improvements in d3 compared to d2, like the chest and money being shared between characters and the fact that you cannot spam potions as easily (but the life orbs make the game smoother instead, and rewards killing stuff if you're low hp)

act 2 is my favourite act in d2 :lol: but seriously, master tactician über death lord demon in d3 act 3 tells his plans to his enemy :erk: they have definitely succeeded in the satisfaction of killing stuff in d3 though, i agree. however, i find the ragdoll bodies flying around a bit ridiculous :D

the graphics, story etc felt more evil in d1&2 imo

worst part of the story is when they kill off cain for shock effect by random fairy chick bitch

mechanic wise, there are lots of improvements in d3 compared to d2, like the chest and money being shared between characters and the fact that you cannot spam potions as easily (but the life orbs make the game smoother instead, and rewards killing stuff if you're low hp)

I love the ragdoll bodies flying around, nothing satisfies more than killing a screen full of foes in one stroke and se their bodies scatter before my awesome power...wish I could do that in real life somtimes! :lol:

I agree on D 1 & 2 having more serious and more "evil" looking design. They are much darker than D3 but I think the story in D3 about the young girl being possessed by diablo as the prime evil and assulting heaven is far darker and more evil than anything in D2. The expansion act is also far darker and more evil than anything in previous games.

i played it when it came out, it was fun :) felt kinda like a single player game though, so few people running about (too many servers i think)

Yeah at launch the BH and Inquisitor were a blast, story mode wise. The max PvP was disappointing, and the content was lacking at that point.

i played it for a good 2700 hours lol (at least 1500 before RoS).

to answer your question it was a mix of
A) didnt care about stupid chemistry
B) only went out on friday/saturday night
C) made friends along the way, many of whom i no longer speak to lol
D) played diablo when i had free time :lol:

it was nuts. ladders start soon (the test realm is down), now i dont have the time lol

I'm just waiting on the new Halo game. I have completely lost all interest in owning a gaming PC. I am just wondering why these "next gen" console games are looking like Xbox 360 games. I have even heard rumors that the current consoles are a nightmare for game devs.