The Gaming Thread

Played DOOM open beta a bit over the past couple of days. I love the background music and the art is amazing too. The game mechanics are lacking though... I was expecting Quake-like mechanics but they're dumbed down to make it accessible to plebs.

Doom looks kind of boring to be honest... I noticed some people were getting pretty exciting after the trailer, but I thought it looked really repetitive. Multiplayer might be okay.

Played DOOM open beta a bit over the past couple of days. I love the background music and the art is amazing too. The game mechanics are lacking though... I was expecting Quake-like mechanics but they're dumbed down to make it accessible to plebs.

Yeah, as a huge Quake 3 fan for many years I'm not even excited about it. This guy really nails it how I feel about it. I love his reviews/previews, he is like me also kinda disgusted the way mainstream gaming has gotten over the years.

Yeah, as a huge Quake 3 fan for many years I'm not even excited about it. This guy really nails it how I feel about it. I love his reviews/previews, he is like me also kinda disgusted the way mainstream gaming has gotten over the years.

I'm exactly in the same boat. Loved Quake 3, used to have so many mods for it back in the day as well.

I'm trying to keep an open mind about DOOM and evaluate the game for what it is and not as a Quake successor of any kind. And even then, the game mechanics are what piss me off too... They did the same with CSGO, coming from CS 1.6... they lowered the skill ceiling, removed skill-based mechanics and added RNG to make it more accessible.

^What is a skill ceiling? I find CSGO plenty hard!

Skill ceiling is basically the max level of skill that can be reached in a game... If the skill ceiling is low, many many players would be able to reach (close to) it. If the skill ceiling is high, there will be a wider distribution of skill levels. The game developers have a vested interest in lowering the skill ceiling because it helps with the longevity of the title. After 5 years of a game release, there are players at such insanely high skill levels that they dominate and demotivate lower level players and the newer players find it hard to come into the game (because everyone else is already at a seemingly unreachable level). Quake and Starcraft are really good examples of this... two of the highest skill ceiling games ever. Whatever players are left today are mostly pretty good... a first time player would get wrecked 24x7 and just quit.

CSGO is extremely dumbed down from CS 1.6. There are a lot of artificial nerfs and buffs to make sure the game has a lower skill ceiling. The first bullet accuracy is shit, the movement feels squishy (for the lack of a better word), tons of RNG that makes it impossible to master spray control, jumping accuracy, running accuracy, insane damage output on pistols, unreliable grenade mechanics. I could go on, but I think you get the point.

Mind you, CS 1.6 (over a decade old at that time) was ahead of CSGO in player numbers before they introduced skins and started pumping huge money into the CSGO majors.

Last edited:
Umm, it just sounds that you need to get gut.

I find 1.6 to be extremely easy now and even though i play csgo now I can easly rekt people on 1.6.
I mastered spray pattern of 5 guns perfectly, i know the spray pattern of the most remaining guns. Since im p90 lover I even know how bullets go during running and jumping.

Ive got absolutely no problem with granades, i hit 95 % of what i want to hit, the only problem is with HE explosion pattern, sometimes it does little to no damage even if youre close to explosion, something to do with "hitboxes" of terrain or something.
I also like the fact that pistols are not shit, this makes eco rounds more exciting.

What I dont like in csgo (or cs generally) is first pistol rounds. Win pistols, get 2 more rounds almost for free.

Umm, it just sounds that you need to get gut.

I find 1.6 to be extremely easy now and even though i play csgo now I can easly rekt people on 1.6.
I mastered spray pattern of 5 guns perfectly, i know the spray pattern of the most remaining guns. Since im p90 lover I even know how bullets go during running and jumping.

Ive got absolutely no problem with granades, i hit 95 % of what i want to hit, the only problem is with HE explosion pattern, sometimes it does little to no damage even if youre close to explosion, something to do with "hitboxes" of terrain or something.
I also like the fact that pistols are not shit, this makes eco rounds more exciting.

What I dont like in csgo (or cs generally) is first pistol rounds. Win pistols, get 2 more rounds almost for free.

I'm fine at the level that I am. I was GE before my rank expired and I stopped playing. But that doesn't mean shit. There's so much random bullshit even in pro games that it's not even funny (see DD on seized from last week). You see pros muck up simple nades because the grenade mechanics (especially when moving/jumping) aren't predictable.

You find 1.6 "extremely easy" because you haven't played against actually good players. Only scrubs and hackers are left in the scene... the meat of the playerbase is gone.

They shifted ranks recently, so GE then is Eagle / LEM now. + depending on region there is difference in player level.

There is random factor in csgo, yes, like unscoped awp (see double noscope midair kill by Fallen in major that potentially won the game) but its at reasonable level. Sure, im pissed off when some scrub hits me midair through the whole map, but what can i do.

Cant agree about the nades though. There is little to no random factor in them. Pros sometimes just fuck up like any normal human being.

They shifted ranks recently, so GE then is Eagle / LEM now. + depending on region there is difference in player level.

There is random factor in csgo, yes, like unscoped awp (see double noscope midair kill by Fallen in major that potentially won the game) but its at reasonable level. Sure, im pissed off when some scrub hits me midair through the whole map, but what can i do.

Cant agree about the nades though. There is little to no random factor in them. Pros sometimes just fuck up like any normal human being.
That was coldzera, not fallen with the jumping awp 4kill.

As for nades, pros have been suggesting different ways to Valve for making nades more consistent. You have to be an utter pleb to not even realize how inconsistent jump throwing is (without jumpthrow script). The pros talk about it all the time... example :

But why would jumping nades be consistent every fucking time? It doesnt make any sense, and using jumpthrow script should be vacbanned.

If jumpthrow nade is inconsistent that you should find a better way to smoke / nade certain spots. Personally all jumping nades I use are good enough, its mainly used in cache mid and mirage ct smoke and 90 % times it lands where I want. That 5 % is me being lazy with the throw and 5 % just random factor im fine with.

But why would jumping nades be consistent every fucking time? It doesnt make any sense, and using jumpthrow script should be vacbanned.

If jumpthrow nade is inconsistent that you should find a better way to smoke / nade certain spots. Personally all jumping nades I use are good enough, its mainly used in cache mid and mirage ct smoke and 90 % times it lands where I want. That 5 % is me being lazy with the throw and 5 % just random factor im fine with.
Because consistency means you can practice and perfect something. Or in other words : SKILL.
Inconsistency means there's a random element affecting the outcome, so you can't perfect the outcome. In other words : LUCK.

Skill is for the hardcore, luck is for scrubs.

So lets get rid of spray pattern and recoil, all shots should hit where player is aiming even with fullauto. If someone was good enough to always throw nade at the perfect time while midair there wouldnt be a problem, so pros need to just get good and stop moaning.

So lets get rid of spray pattern and recoil, all shots should hit where player is aiming even with fullauto. If someone was good enough to always throw nade at the perfect time while midair there wouldnt be a problem, so pros need to just get good and stop moaning.
Eh do you even fucking know how the recoil and spray pattern of the guns works?
The recoil pattern is one thing... the randomness in recoil pattern is another. You do a 30 bullet AK spray 2 times, the pattern in CSGO can be wildly different (despite following the same general trend). If someone has mastered the micro-movements to be super precise with their spray control, they should be rewarded. The current mechanic negates that advantage and while you still get the benefits of sticking to the broad spray pattern (easier to master or lower skill clevel in other words), you don't get the benefits if you go a step further an refine your spray pattern further (higher skill level).

You also clearly have no fucking clue about jumpthrow mechanics either... if your throw is 1-server tick off (easily possible because of jitter and latency in general), your smoke will go in a different spot... the problem gets worse when your smoke is supposed to bank off a ledge or something.

Oh and don't even get me started on the stupid wallbang mechanics. I mean, sure they had the right idea of different materials having different amount of penetration but their execution was utterly fucked. It was one of the key aspects of 1.6 gameplay.

1.6 and CSGO suck in this case.

I remember dying to the flashbang in 1.6 through the doors and penetration in general doesnt make any sense. Sometimes something fucking solid is like cardboard box and cardboard box is titanium.

And still, you wont convince me about granades, if the nade is risky find a better way to throw it, it's that easy. Most jump throws dont make any sense anyway, I mean who the fuck tosses granades 100 m in the air and hopes it lands in some magical spot its just stupid thing turned into game mechanics.