The GMD Social Hobby Thread

My hobbies, no particular order:

Listening to music, mostly metal, but some other stuff once in a while
Sports: Baseball, basketball, football, & hockey
Movies & TV shows
Video Games (don't play very much anymore though)
My CD collection
Card collecting: Garbage Pail Kids, Sports cards, & other random cards that catch my interest
Drinking beer
Spending time with my GF, family, & friends

I make music, but haven't done anything in a while. Here's my SoundCloud: SoundCloud.com/zmorv

I am pretty into exercise, yoga, meditation, astrology (mostly Western, but I've just gotten into Mayan and I plan to do Vedic and Eastern, too), and Eastern "mystic" (quotes because I directly experience this stuff and it's as real to me as my skin) stuff like chakra/chi whatever work.

I also do a bit of reading about science, particularly neurological and psychological stuff, but do enjoy a fair bit of evopsych despite how speculative it is.

I write, too, but haven't done it in a while. I do poetry or fiction with "Eastern" ideas in it. I'll also write some straight philosophy.

Oh, and I smoke weed a bit, but tend to get bored of it, so not on a regular basis.

Hobbies other than getting the chance to relive childhood again through the eyes of my child? :)

Photography. I have a DECENT camera. Still trying to poke around with it and figure out what does what, angles, lighting, etc.

I've sort of developed a thing for collecting various colored nail polish and earrings.

I like doing word search puzzles.

Been dabbling a little bit back into drawing and enjoy coloring geometrical designs/mandalas, etc.

Oh and music, of course. I'd love to play music again but that will have to go on hold for awhile. Collecting and nerding out from the privacy of my own home works.

Hobbies other than getting the chance to relive childhood again through the eyes of my child? :)
and nerding out from the privacy of my own home works.

Ditto. My son is enjoying the shit out of my wishing to have had a massive wooden train set collection.

Also, board and videogames they will get to enjoy when old enough.

My current main hobby is my car. Buying things for it, installing said things, attempting to fix other things, getting other things done/fixed by people who actually know what they're doing etc.

If it is all bolt on/off I can do it. I pretty much avoid fluids and electrical though (outside of lightbulbs and oil change). Brake pad and rotor work is probably the biggest ripoff ever in automotive maintenance.

It shocks me how many people, in this amazing age of technology and free access to information, can't do their own oil changes or brake pads. I'd understand some trepidation for bigger jobs or not having a garage but these things are routine.

I'm shocked by people's ignorance regarding cars in general actually, just how little they know about common signs of things that are wrong. Like dude... The red zone is bad, that's why its fuckin seizuring blinking right now. "Oh yeah it always does that". Christ. Maybe its a factory kid thing.

Music. I've been playing bass in Retargenus for 2 years now. It's jam band music so it has it's ups and downs for me personally.

About a year ago I started playing bass for Peccant which is like crusty grind and that has been fun as fuck.

Last edited by a moderator:
It shocks me how many people, in this amazing age of technology and free access to information, can't do their own oil changes or brake pads. I'd understand some trepidation for bigger jobs or not having a garage but these things are routine.

I'm shocked by people's ignorance regarding cars in general actually, just how little they know about common signs of things that are wrong. Like dude... The red zone is bad, that's why its fuckin seizuring blinking right now. "Oh yeah it always does that". Christ. Maybe its a factory kid thing.

I know how to change a tired and add fluids. Oh and once I replaced a battery. That was fun and kind of scary. I also do not have a garage or very many tools.

Putting "EP" on the cover of an EP is retard as fuck.

It is. We got the artwork like that and ultimately decided to just keep it.
Also the idea behind the band was never to be "smart" or extremely serious.
At live shows we introduce ourselves as "pop-punk from kentucky" or state that " we're going to play kenny rogers' "the gambler" for the whole set. The vocalists are usually shitfaced when we play live.

I know how to change a tired and add fluids. Oh and once I replaced a battery. That was fun and kind of scary. I also do not have a garage or very many tools.

Batteries are totally scary, I hear ya.

Just wanna throw an update to my furniture making too.... Got the hang of a miter table saw and pocket hole jig. Ohhhhh the possibilities! I'll probably be throwing some shit in the pics thread this weekend. Started working on a perfect beveled cube but at 3x3 I was feeling a little unsafe, first time using one of them things and that's a huge blade like an inch from my inexperienced hand. You're not even supposed to use them for vertical thickness cuts like that.

I write music. I have two dubstep EPs completed, an ambient EP completed, and four albums worth of black metal that I have fully written but not yet recorded.

I draw. Mainly Star Trek stuff. I draw a really prime starship. Just sayin'.

I play Magic occasionally, but not often. The new sets are absolute garbage.

I also write lyrics and whatnot. Mine are not that good.

And I drink.

Playing/writing/recording.
Reading.
Lifting/running.
Gigs.
Languages (near exclusively Arabic for the past two years).
Visiting historical sites (not sure I'd really class it as a hobby, but I guess people that do it far less do so it can go on the list).
Making crap outa wood.
Climbing.

Nowadays mostly music, playing bass, songwriting and languages. I've played bass since elementary school, I've been songwriting for some years, even though I mostly just write lyrics, and in languages I'm fluent in English and Finnish and I'm learning 5 other languages (though I'm _almost_ fluent in two of them). Three of the languages are actually taught in our school but the other ones I'm learning at home by myself and well, Finnish is my mother tongue so yeah

Most of my days are spent on campus doing graduate student shit but in free time I like to get drunk of cheap beer (and good beer) and blast true as fuck heavy/doom metal and none of that pussy death/black metal shit. Aside from that, I spend a lot of time thinking about fantasy literature and wishing I had more time to read fantasy literature. I watch B horror films with bros and enjoy a small party on the weekends.