The GMD Social Hobby Thread

How is ESO? If I were to have time to try something other than EQ1 (which I don't even have time for), it would be ESO.

Firstly, I'd have to say 1) Don't expect Skyrim Online and 2) Don't expect WoW/EQ in Tamriel. It's a pretty even mix between an Elder Scrolls title and an MMO (IE you have a skill bar, but also mouse click attacks, blocking, and have to (rough) aim your skills).

That being said, the skill system is fantastic if you're the type who likes to create custom builds. Your class determines general passive bonuses and 3 magical skills lines you have access to. On top of that any class can use any weapon/armor, and those will determine a lot of your stamina based skills. There's also side skill lines like Mage's/Fighter's Guild, PvP skill lines, Vampire/Werewolf, etc. You have 2 skill bars for your main/secondary weapon. Each bar can have 5 skills + 1 ultimate skill.There's only 4 classes and while each may lean towards a particular role, they can all dps/tank/heal in their own way. The difference in most cases isn't so stark that you can't pick a class for the aesthetics/skill types and then build for your role. For example, I play a Nightblade (the "assassin" class) healer/nuker. I may not do as much burst spell damage as a Sorceror, or have as high a healing throughput as a Templar I make up for it by being able to effective damage/heal at the same time, having better resource regeneration than the other classes, and being able to go invisible to escape whenever I want.

The quests are solid, graphics look and run at a nice framerate on an affordable GPU. Combat/animations need a little work, but an overhaul is coming in Jan/Feb. The justice system is coming in the next few months also, which will allow for Enforcers/Outlaws (Cops & Robbers effectively) to fight in the world as a form of world pvp when crimes are committed. The only real downside is the PvP. I was very much let down by Cyrodiil. It's a massive zone (3 faction pvp) with a bunch of empty/wasted space for people to zerg on bridges and fire catapults at keeps. Wasted potential, but the justice system & the (also upcoming) Imperial City small scale PvP will hopefully make up for it. It's not a bad idea to start now to get leveled up a bit for the Jan/Feb patch.

Don't expect Skyrim Online ...... also mouse click attacks, blocking, and have to (rough) aim your skills).....There's only 4 classes

Ugh, thanks for the warning. I wish someone could or would have take(n) EQ1 and improve(d) upon "The Vision" and actually see(n) the project through. The only thing that came close on that was Vanguard and it was hamstrung and set up for failure practically from the get go.

Ugh, thanks for the warning. I wish someone could or would have take(n) EQ1 and improve(d) upon "The Vision" and actually see(n) the project through. The only thing that came close on that was Vanguard and it was hamstrung and set up for failure practically from the get go.

I get if the mouse attacks/etc is a turn off. But definitely don't let the 4 classes get you down. There's a lot packed into each of the classes and the limited skill bar + weapon/armor options makes it so one Dragonknight can play drastically different from another one. Think of it like how EQ2 has the 4 general archetypes, but multiple sub-classes/specializations within. Only in ESO the role archetypes are instead class/thematic based and you create whatever you want with that base. IE A dragonknight has skills to tank, obviously, but can also be a short ranged fire mage, a healer who stacks health shields/makes enemies miss with clouds of ash, or a sturdy archer who can take a few hits and not have to kite.

Listen to and collect music, get high through various forms of weed, watch Seinfeld and The Simpsons reruns, drink quality beer, play bass guitar, read shit, and finally stare at a wall and fall into an endless pit of insanity.

I've got just a few things left to paint on my IG before I'll have a tourney size army. Haven't been able to work on it during the semester. Hoping to finish up during the break. Fortunately I sort of a know a couple of guys who do/have played 40k through doing other gaming, so hopefully one or more people will be happy to teach this newb. I have the new rulebook/codex but trying to just read the rulebook without context is a little fucked.

Learning is actually pretty easy, its basic concepts once you've played and had to refer to a cheat sheet a few times. You also have the advantage of usually playing against the same people, so tactics can mainly be set in stone. How you pointing things out, and got any pics? I know almost nothing about Imperial Guard.

My 'Hive Fleet Metallicus' is still only 3/4ths painted after three years of about 1200 points... Couldn't settle on a scheme. Nids can be really rough because the absence of fluff gives you ENDLESS options. I decided to make them keen on industrialized planets of humanoids, lots of ore and gore.

I get if the mouse attacks/etc is a turn off. But definitely don't let the 4 classes get you down. There's a lot packed into each of the classes and the limited skill bar + weapon/armor options makes it so one Dragonknight can play drastically different from another one. Think of it like how EQ2 has the 4 general archetypes, but multiple sub-classes/specializations within. Only in ESO the role archetypes are instead class/thematic based and you create whatever you want with that base. IE A dragonknight has skills to tank, obviously, but can also be a short ranged fire mage, a healer who stacks health shields/makes enemies miss with clouds of ash, or a sturdy archer who can take a few hits and not have to kite.

The mouse aim stuff for an rpg definitely isn't a fave, but the non-specified classes is even worse imo. I understand tree systems, and don't like them. It just makes grouping etc so much more annoying. If I want a super healer, I don't want to have to explain 3-4 different trees. Just "Group LF Cleric"

Learning is actually pretty easy, its basic concepts once you've played and had to refer to a cheat sheet a few times. You also have the advantage of usually playing against the same people, so tactics can mainly be set in stone. How you pointing things out, and got any pics? I know almost nothing about Imperial Guard.

My 'Hive Fleet Metallicus' is still only 3/4ths painted after three years of about 1200 points... Couldn't settle on a scheme. Nids can be really rough because the absence of fluff gives you ENDLESS options. I decided to make them keen on industrialized planets of humanoids, lots of ore and gore.

I don't understand having much interest in fluff for gaming purposes. Comes down to aesthetics and tactics for me. IG looks cool and is a shooting army. I've posted pics before, I'll try to dig them up and repost.

Edit: Yeah, I did post them before, talking to you in the Boardgame thread :p

missileIG01.jpg

I don't understand having much interest in fluff for gaming purposes. Comes down to aesthetics and tactics for me. IG looks cool and is a shooting army. I've posted pics before, I'll try to dig them up and repost.

Edit: Yeah, I did post them before, talking to you in the Boardgame thread :p

missileIG01.jpg

I know you did man, I wanted to see what else you've done since then haha. But I won't demand more pics if ya don't feel like it. How bout dat build though? What's your army list and points lookin like?

Also curious what armies you'd be battling most of the time.

heyo!

Apparently they're coming out with a Firefly RPG I think, which is being voiced by the cast and is supposed to be really good

My mom got me an orange bat, here it is after laying some skin-texture cardstock in a shadowbox with a few of my other dead things.

CAM01793.jpg

Wish it was a fire bat but much appreciated regardless, definitely one of my new favorite pieces. Up close of him:

CAM01791.jpg

So... anyone else collect taxidermy/bones/wet specimen? I definitely have a big preference for the latter, bones are easy to prep and wet preserving something is even easier. Do a lot of my own work with them, taxidermy I purchase and mount myself usually.

@Carpe: Doing some more painting shortly. I'll post some pics of my various prior work and current stuff soon I hope. Smattering of IG, DA/RW, and Necrons.

I haven't painted in years. I hope to remedy this soon.

One thing I hope to get into is model-making again. I used to have plastic models of Voyager and the Enterprise-E but those were lost over fifteen years ago.

I haven't painted in years. I hope to remedy this soon.

One thing I hope to get into is model-making again. I used to have plastic models of Voyager and the Enterprise-E but those were lost over fifteen years ago.

I have an unassembled Voyager model sitting in my closet unopened. Someone bought it for me as a birthday present when I was younger and didn't watch Star Trek.

I want to put it together if I get room, but ultimately I may just sell it. Would you be interested?

I may be a rookie modeler, but I dare say my models come out looking better than about 80% of the shit that I see in 40k whether locally or on ebay. I just purchased a lot of 3 tanks and 2 APCs (armored personnel carrier) from someone who either brutalized them himself or just inherited them from someone else who did.

The models had this absolutely garish and poorly done blue paint job, so I had already planned on stripping and repainting the models to match the rest of my IG army. There's this APC (all purpose cleaner) that the dollar store sells called LA AWESOME that works great as a paint stripper on models, and I picked some up and started treating the models. Turns out one of them not only had 1 shit paint job, but that one shit paint job was covering up like 2 others. Shit paint jobs with horrible colors. It's really not hard to make models look halfway decent, but people not only pick really horrible colors for things, but then cake the shit on and can't even "stay in the lines". I don't get it.

I have an unassembled Voyager model sitting in my closet unopened. Someone bought it for me as a birthday present when I was younger and didn't watch Star Trek.

I want to put it together if I get room, but ultimately I may just sell it. Would you be interested?

Probably not, regrettably. I mean, I would be... but I can't. Finances are tight, I've been struggling lately and until I get back into doing stable hours each week, things are gonna be rough.

Thank you though.