The great and all powerful religion thread!

Spirituality may not be competition, but anyone who is spiritual loses anyway.
Can we cease this bullshit? You're acting like a 12 year old with good grammar.

@ WAIF: Exactly. I can't think of a single religion without a good message.
Depends on what you consider a good message. Jesus said turn the other cheek, and frankly I think that's a shitty message, but he also said be chill to each other, and that's a good one.

Depends on what you consider a good message. Jesus said turn the other cheek, and frankly I think that's a shitty message, but he also said be chill to each other, and that's a good one.

The thing about any messages like that is they don't apply to all situations. Sometimes revenge would make shit worse, and sometimes it would be needed.

Some people believe in God for comfort. Thats what makes them happy, and it is incredibly annoying when people are like "face reality lolz."

This does not help me comprehend why you'd rather believe in something that doesn't obviously exist in the world we can experience and perceive.

Quoting a black metal band isn't the best way to argue this stuff...and while you may not think Christianity is a system of control anymore, I would argue that it's just become more subtle. Ever heard of the Christian Coalition? Religion being used as a tool for political power.
And of course in islamic countries religion is absolutely a tool of the power elite.
And I don't think that a significant number of christians worship because of fear.

So, an observation isn't valid when it's made by a possibly prejudiced source?

And, yes, while still a system of control, at least nowadays invading a foreign country with the aim of imposing your religion is likely to be severely frowned upon.

And I think more christians worship out of fear than love... a lot worship because they think it's the right thing to do, others as a method of ignoring science, yet more simply to fit in or because their family has brought them up to.
Mind you, the ones doing it out of a misguided sense of love are the dangerous ones, the sort that would become suicide bombers in other religions...

I find it funny how people are willing to make up some shit right on the spot to justify their immediate desires.

If you don't get the pizza you get eternal suffering. But if you get it, you get virgins in paradise.

I find it funny how people are willing to make up some shit right on the spot to justify their immediate desires.

I find it funny that you're like 2 years old.

Regardless, his point was pretty well made. His listed reasons why a lot of Christians worship are all valid.

I was talking about Muslim extremists, iirc the virgins in paradise doesn't exist in the Quran. And they made it up because they were going to be killing themselves.

The thing about any messages like that is they don't apply to all situations. Sometimes revenge would make shit worse, and sometimes it would be needed.
He didn't say "turn the other cheek, unless you think you can take the muthafucker"

So, an observation isn't valid when it's made by a possibly prejudiced source?

And, yes, while still a system of control, at least nowadays invading a foreign country with the aim of imposing your religion is likely to be severely frowned upon.

And I think more christians worship out of fear than love... a lot worship because they think it's the right thing to do, others as a method of ignoring science, yet more simply to fit in or because their family has brought them up to.
Mind you, the ones doing it out of a misguided sense of love are the dangerous ones, the sort that would become suicide bombers in other religions...
No, I just think you should speak for yourself instead of quoting others.
As for imposing your religion, that's true. It will be frowned upon. The UN might even right a strongly worded letter.
And for the fear/love thing, i doubt there are numbers for this, but I've never met a christian who worshipped out of fear, only faith.
And I think that as for suicide bombers it's more a social than religious pressure.

No what I meant was I don't think turn the other cheek is the best choice in every situation. But thats just my opinion.

Yes, but I don't think that is always the best choice. Like if a parents child disrespects them, is it best to just turn the other cheek, or punish?

WeAreInFlames said:
No, I just think you should speak for yourself instead of quoting others.
As for imposing your religion, that's true. It will be frowned upon. The UN might even right a strongly worded letter.
And for the fear/love thing, i doubt there are numbers for this, but I've never met a christian who worshipped out of fear, only faith.
And I think that as for suicide bombers it's more a social than religious pressure.

Speaking for yourself is all very well, but the complex and highly confusing lyrics of DSO are extremely good for illustrating a point. I've been mulling this concept around my head for an age, I didn't just hear it and think 'Z0mG they has a point'.

And, like I said, I doubt any christian would admit to themselves that they're only doing it cos they're scared. It's impossible to justify this statement, but as an eternal and painfully observant cynic I can't see why anyone would put themselves through a lifetime of servitude because they have a crush on an invisible deity.

Yes, but I don't think that is always the best choice. Like if a parents child disrespects them, is it best to just turn the other cheek, or punish?
I did say that I think it's a shitty idea, didn't I?
Although the example you gave is obviously missing the point.

Speaking for yourself is all very well, but the complex and highly confusing lyrics of DSO are extremely good for illustrating a point. I've been mulling this concept around my head for an age, I didn't just hear it and think 'Z0mG they has a point'.

And, like I said, I doubt any christian would admit to themselves that they're only doing it cos they're scared. It's impossible to justify this statement, but as an eternal and painfully observant cynic I can't see why anyone would put themselves through a lifetime of servitude because they have a crush on an invisible deity.
okay.

and go back and reread the thing about the comforts of faith.

If people want to treat religion as a big fluffy comfort blanket, I ain't going to stop them. But they'd better not try and make me hug it too.