The great and all powerful religion thread!

How can God tell us that worshipping another god is a sin when he doesn't know if another god created him? That's the biggest contradiction of them all and i'm surprised no one seems to think of that.

How would he not know whether or not another god created him? Presumably, he's omniscient.

He's omniscient by his own perception. The only way for him to deny someone ever creating him was if that being told him which would contradict it anyway. He's blatantly denying a higher being while telling us not to.

Just to throw this out there, heaven and hell are two of the most misunderstood concepts in the Bible, even by Christians. No one is going to heaven or hell forever. The way those concepts are understood by the majority are of pagan origin.

I think the Bible says otherwise:
The Bible said:
And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever. And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them. And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Sounds like an eternity of torment to me.

And where on earth do you get the notion that Heaven isn't supposed to be eternal? :lol:

I think the Bible says otherwise:

Sounds like an eternity of torment to me.

And where on earth do you get the notion that Heaven isn't supposed to be eternal? :lol:

um... i assume he gets it from his own revisionist version of Christianity.

I like that even though it may not be eternal because Dakryn the Almighty said so, it's still like, multiple fucking eternities (MAYBE NOT FOREVER THOUGH OKAY!?) so...that's basically nitpicking anyway.

Also, from Revelation 14:

And the third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark in his forehead, or in his hand, The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb: And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.

What a nice god.

Also, from Revelation 14:

What a nice god.

and who said that God got all nice in the new testament? in the OT he was commanding the israelites to slaughter entire nations, man, woman and child... now he just sends them to an eternity of torment.

I remember reading a comparison between god and devil according to the Bible in some magazine several years ago, and it was like
"number of humans killed by the devil: (I don't remember the exact numbers but I think it was like 9 or so)
number of humans killed by the god: dunno-how-many thousands"

well all those evil infants god ordered Saul to slay had it fucking coming to them! (1 Sam. 15:1-4)

He's omniscient by his own perception.

What the heck does that mean?

The only way for him to deny someone ever creating him was if that being told him

Why? Why would an omniscient being ever need to rely on the testimony of someone else in order to know something?

He's blatantly denying a higher being while telling us not to.

How is this a problem? That would be problematic if he were denying his own existence while telling us not to deny his existence. But he's not doing that. He's denying the existence of a being that's higher relative to himself, and if he's omniscient then presumably he's justified in doing so.

I'll continue my Bible quoting with an interesting case of God deciding that he screwed up when creating man (even though he's supposedly perfect?), and that he has to kill off nearly everyone to fix his mistake.

The Bible said:
And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart. And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.

These are all from the King James version, btw. Not sure which particular versions are considered to be more "accurate" than the rest, but as AchrisK says, the gist of it should be clear.

What the heck does that mean?

That he thinks he knows everything of course, what else would it mean?

[/QUOTE]Why? Why would an omniscient being ever need to rely on the testimony of someone else in order to know something?[/QUOTE]

Yeah he wouldn't, but of course there's no such thing as an omniscient being which is my whole point. Something must make him know he's omniscient right, what the hell in the universe would that possibly be?

Something must make him know he's omniscient right, what the hell in the universe would that possibly be?

The God figure in the Bible is represented as omniscient, and being omniscient, he'd know he was omniscient since he knows everything. He wouldn't need anyone else to tell him that he was, since he'd automatically be aware of it.

The God figure in the Bible is represented as omniscient, and being omniscient, he'd know he was omniscient since he knows everything. He wouldn't need anyone else to tell him that he was, since he'd automatically be aware of it.

I'm doing the exact same thing as God if i'm a lunatic in a mental hospital with the aspiration of being omniscient. I can believe that i know i am omniscient. But to claim to be omniscient is like thinking about where space ends, it just goes on in circles. I get what you mean but i assume you're not a Christian so you probably don't believe in an omniscient being.