The great and all powerful religion thread!

I think the Bible says otherwise:

Sounds like an eternity of torment to me.

And where on earth do you get the notion that Heaven isn't supposed to be eternal? :lol:

Don't start quoting scripture when you don't even know what it is saying.

#1. The lake of fire and hell are two different things. I am splitting hairs, but the concept of hell as it stands is that right now there are people burning prior to the judgement. There is nothing in the Bible to substantiate this other than a parable.

#2. There is also very weak evidence to support that people go straight to heaven when they die. Regardless though of whether they do or not, the Bible is quite clear that after the events in Revelation the [saved] will spend eternity on earth.

To claim God is being an asshole for for cleansing the world of people who said "fuck you" to make room for those who did not is being slightly hypocritical. If you had two kids, one of which hated you and despised the other kid, which one is probably going to ultimately get left out of the inheritance? Pretty much the same concept if you read the Bible without wearing "omg so gay"
glasses on.

Edit: In reference to the life thing. The majority of fossils are made by sediment/rock whatever filling in the vacancy left by decayed matter unless I am mistaken. The rock that makes up the earth has been around for an undetermined amount of time (Biblically speaking).
To use a tree for arguement is weak since volcanic events can render trees fossilized quickly and give false returns on dating.

Unless "heaven" refers to a spiritual holding place, and we are talking about something along the lines of soul sleep.

There is nothing in the Bible about people dying and then partying it up somewhere prior to the rapture/resurrection.

Edit: Also,

Rev 21:3 And I heard a great voice out of the throne saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he shall dwell with them, and they shall be his peoples, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God:
Rev 21:4 and he shall wipe away every tear from their eyes; and death shall be no more; neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain, any more: the first things are passed away.

What an asshole :rolleyes:

There's no fucking evidence at all. I fucking hate you.

Explain? Are you referring to lack of [scientific evidence] or scriptural evidence. Of course there is none of the former, and I would love for you to provide the latter. If you are just jumping in with sarcasm, it's pretty pointless sir.

But we are discussing religion in this thread correct? So why jump with "theres no scientific evidence" when that post wasn't even aimed at you?

Everyone here knows you don't believe in a god so why bother coming into this thread to throw around worthless sarcasm and random insults? You get my pity at least.

Scriptures aren't evidence for anything except people writing stuff and people like you believing what they said. It's similar to a self-fulfilling prophecy as far as I can tell. To me, you're not adding anything of worth either.

Edit: In reference to the life thing. The majority of fossils are made by sediment/rock whatever filling in the vacancy left by decayed matter unless I am mistaken. The rock that makes up the earth has been around for an undetermined amount of time (Biblically speaking).
To use a tree for arguement is weak since volcanic events can render trees fossilized quickly and give false returns on dating.
Come on man. In order for there to be decayed matter there needs to have been undecayed life. What is your explanation for dinosaur fossils?

Also the Neolithic Revolution has been dated to about 10,000 BCE. This means that humans had begun stopping hunting and gathering by 12,000 years ago. For 99% of human existence we were hunters and gatherers. How does that match up with life only being around for 6,000 years?

If Richard Dawkins didn't attack religion so abrasively he wouldn't be so famous. Controversy allows viewpoints to be heard. So it shouldn't be unfair to accuse certain atheists of feeling mad at religion, because religion hasn't exactly been nice to them.

How does he plan on making that compatible with the discussion people who don't give any quarter to scripture as evidence are trying to have? I'm not seeing how we can have a discussion if he's not having a discussion that is compatible.

edit: zeph keeps ninjaing me

How does he plan on making that compatible with the discussion people who don't give any quarter to scripture as evidence are trying to have? I'm not seeing how we can have a discussion if he's not having a discussion that is compatible.

edit: zeph keeps ninjaing me

His comments aboot scripture were in reference to Vihris-Gari's comments about heaven and hell.