The great and all powerful religion thread!

Well I can't speak for everyone, but personally I don't lack love in my life.
The "imaginary friend" comment is an underhanded attack. No matter what I say about personal experiences the response can always be "That's what all people with imaginary friends say".
Poor sport.

Oh I know the solution. Let's call God by his proper name, Jupiter. Seems whenever someone prayed to Jupiter his spear always hit the target.

When you read The God Delusion there's a whole section about scientific studies regarding prayer for the sick. It concluded that prayer is not any more effective than no prayer at all. It's worse if you consider the performance anxiety I mentioned earlier.

But of course you have the "testing God" cop-out to rest upon.

It's awesome that the International Day of Prayer is also International Atheist Give Blood Day. For 1,000 hands clasped in prayer cannot do what one donor's pint of blood can.

Well, the "testing God" thing is not a cop-out. I am just showing a consistency in the behavior of God, as defined in the bible. If you no longer believe, then this whole thing is a sham and it doesn't even matter, right?

So what the hell do you pray for Dakryn?

Pretty much just thanks for what I have and for whatever God wants to happen to happen. I might list something I would like to see happen but I don't expect it and its tempered with something along the lines of "not my will but thine" because if it's not actually best for me then I don't want [it].

@Zeph :rolleyes:

#1. Not everyone who claims to believe in "the imaginary friend" is telling the truth.
#2. The amount of people on one bandwagon or another has nothing to do with validity.

#1. Not everyone who claims to believe in "the imaginary friend" is telling the truth.
#2. The amount of people on one bandwagon or another has nothing to do with validity.

#1. Who are these people?

#2. I was testing you. I'm glad you have the sense not to fall upon the "number of believers shifts the burden of evidence" argument. You just proved to me you have some logic. I know someone who tried that and he's a smart person, except for that point.

I would also point out that both myself and AcK at least, also hold the belief that prayer does not exist to [get what you want] which is how it is treated by the majority in all religions.

True. But those are the only kind of prayers worth attacking. Thus everyone keeps setting them up as what Christianity is all about, and then burning them down.

#1. Who are these people?

#2. I was testing you. I'm glad you have the sense not to fall upon the "number of believers shifts the burden of evidence" argument. You just proved to me you have some logic. I know someone who tried that and he's a smart person, except for that point.

Well I can't "know the heart" but out of billions the odds are with me. Especially since its in the Bible :p

Tbh, my personal leaning on issues that aren't cut and dried is usually to go with the less popular side.

Pretty much just thanks for what I have and for whatever God wants to happen to happen. I might list something I would like to see happen but I don't expect it and its tempered with something along the lines of "not my will but thine" because if it's not actually best for me then I don't want [it].

*facepalm for eternity*

He's fucking God dude, he's all-powerful, and you, a human, are praying that whatever he wants done gets done? Sounds like that has a point and this definitely helps your position.

*facepalm for eternity*

Yes I know, us non-athiests are so lame. But tbh, you would have /facepalm-ed no matter what I put, so you should have put that along with the original question. :rolleyes:

He's fucking God dude, he's all-powerful, and you, a human, are praying that whatever he wants done gets done? Sounds like that has a point and this definitely helps your position.

I am not trying to "help my position". The things that happen don't prove "prayer works". I am just following Jesus' example. Prayer to show devotion to Him, not to bring about some kind of personal benefit. Of course assuming He is God, His will is going to happen. So I pray in agreement with that, as opposed to whatever I want.

I am not trying to "help my position". The things that happen don't prove "prayer works". I am just following Jesus' example. Prayer to show devotion to Him, not to bring about some kind of personal benefit. Of course assuming He is God, His will is going to happen. So I pray in agreement with that, as opposed to whatever I want.

What's the point of the devotion if it's not to your benefit?

These are only notes about freedom,
I wish you had the time to read them.
Speaking about freedom; what´s that like?
Rolling a joint, go for a hike,
missing the point, renting a bike?

What's the point of the devotion if it's not to your benefit?

I assume it's "spiritually beneficial" but I fail to see real life implications to that.

See, with these comments you guys are making it painfully obvious that you have no comprehension of Christianity. Benefit? Benefit is irrelevant. Truth is what is important. I believe it as truth, and accept it as truth. I have no motivation except to live life in a way that my creator intended, in contact with, and in obedience to, him.

*facepalm for eternity*

You conveniently missed the part where he said that he does bring his petitions to God. This is part of how we are taught to pray. But this, as Dakryn said, is tempered with the acknowledgment that my plans and ideas are flawed and I may or may not be on the right track, and that in the end I believe God has the best in mind for all who are involved.

Benefit is irrelevant. Truth is what is important.

This, however tbh I would think that AcK would agree with me that we believe that the life God wants us to lead is beneficial in terms of happiness, not necessarily in physical measurables....also there is that whole "eternal life on a perfect earth" thing.

This, however tbh I would think that AcK would agree with me that we believe that the life God wants us to lead is beneficial in terms of happiness, not necessarily in physical measurables....also there is that whole "eternal life on a perfect earth" thing.

Yes, truth. There are benefits to being at peace with God. Joy, peace, fulfillment, purpose, and these things in spite of the circumstances. Of course hard times come, and it's not easy, but there is a peace which surpasses understanding. And the future, definitely. Looking forward to that! :kickass: