The great and all powerful religion thread!

look, you atheist/agnostics are just going to browbeat me until I submit, so if you want this conversation to continue, you must calm you egos down. no "one" religion is right or wrong. its not about where you end up when you die, or evolutionism vs. creationism or the meaning of life. its about bettering the everyday so one has the strength to face daily challenges.

look, you atheist/agnostics are just going to browbeat me until I submit, so if you want this conversation to continue, you must calm you egos down. no "one" religion is right or wrong. its not about where you end up when you die, or evolutionism vs. creationism or the meaning of life. its about bettering the everyday so one has the strength to face daily challenges.
It is not egotistical to point out that you are making a logical mistake. It is not logical to believe something as absurd as a pantheon of ancient supernatural deities from a distant land because it "betters" your everyday life. Just better your life through your won actions and take credit for the good things you do and be happy about the good things you recieve.

It is not egotistical to point out that you are making a logical mistake. It is not logical to believe something as absurd as a pantheon of ancient supernatural deities from a distant land because it "betters" your everyday life. Just better your life through your won actions and take credit for the good things you do and be happy about the good things you recieve.

but doesn't it feel better to believe in something than believe in nothing at all? besides YOU don't know for sure if these deities exist or any other deities exist for that matter. thats why I acknowledge all religions, even non-religions, because one of them might be right when the end time comes. I honor these gods cause each one stands for something positive. sure, live your life by cold logic, whatever makes you happy. but don't make me feel guilty for believing otherwise.

but doesn't it feel better to believe in something than believe in nothing at all? besides YOU don't know for sure if these deities exist or any other deities exist for that matter. thats why I acknowledge all religions, even non-religions, because one of them might be right when the end time comes. I honor these gods cause each one stands for something positive. sure, live your life by cold logic, whatever makes you happy. but don't make me feel guilty for believing otherwise.
It makes me feel wonderful to only believe things that are real. I do not know 100% there are no gods, but the probability is so low it is stupid to believe positively in them. "Cold" logic is how people discover reality and you should feel guilty for knowingly wallowing in ignorance.

It makes me feel wonderful to only believe things that are real. I do not know 100% there are no gods, but the probability is so low it is stupid to believe positively in them. "Cold" logic is how people discover reality and you should feel guilty for knowingly wallowing in ignorance.

but you CAN'T prove otherwise! neither of us are correct, or even incorrect for that matter. nobody knows. not even you.

but you CAN'T prove otherwise! neither of us are correct, or even incorrect for that matter. nobody knows. not even you.
Prove Santa doesn't exist. You can't? Well then I'll just say he exists because you can't prove me wrong. Burden of proof is on the accuser, in this case the person saying Odin and co. exist.

I hope you realize how bad that argument is.

Prove Santa doesn't exist. You can't? Well then I'll just say he exists because you can't prove me wrong. Burden of proof is on the accuser, in this case the person saying Odin and co. exist.

I hope you realize how bad that argument is.

Looking for proof and empirical evidence in faith seems pretty ridiculous. That's why it is considered a leap of faith to believe in anything beyond humanity's current knowledge.

That is why it's wrong

Truth should not be considered so cut and dry as to be limited to humanity's own perceptions of it.

Now, though, I am essentially arguing what I was arguing previously, so I see no need to continue with this discussion.

Truth should not be considered so cut and dry as to be limited to humanity's own perceptions of it.
I don't see why not. If we cannot perceive it, why even consider truth as we can never discover it and it will have no effect on us.

But yeah I think we've been over this.

I would however like to go deeper into your claim that faith is "Beyond" logic and rationality. What about it makes it special? Why are certain irrational beliefs ok to hold and others actually viewed as irrational?

Now, though, I am essentially arguing what I was arguing previously, so I see no need to continue with this discussion.

Truth does not exist outside of perception. I think that humanity's perceptions about a lot of things are probably wrong. Still though, whose perceptions are more reliable than our own at this point.

I thought about this a little more.

There is no evidence to say that truth is beyond our perception. It's not like there is a magic tablet that says "Humans can't understand this". There is only what we know and what we don't know.