The great and all powerful religion thread!

actually I think it is growing.
more and more people are leaving the big 3 and either becoming atheists, agnostics or something else.

Maybe in the west. India is converting people left and right.

I really don't understand your religion Ohiogrinder. Could you explain it a bit to me and how it works(morals,rules etc)

You have not heard of any miracles of the pagan gods because you have failed to do any real research on the subject beyond going to church.

NO. Before I was Catholic I looked into other religions. I just have never heard any miracles from the pagan gods. So just explain to me what your post on backed by.

because Christianity is more widespread than Odinism. that doesn't mean Odinism is dying, rather it exists in small pockets around the world, and will probably continue to until the end of time. I mean, nobody sees Buddha in their kebabs, so by your logic, buddhism must be dying too. to use a music analogy, Christianity is like pop/rock, whereas Odinism is like extreme metal. not as widespread, but still growing at a steady pace.

That is because Buddhism is a non-theistic religion/mindset.

Maybe in the west. India is converting people left and right.

I really don't understand your religion Ohiogrinder. Could you explain it a bit to me and how it works(morals,rules etc)

its about having pride in one's culture, honor towards one's family (I am partially adopted so this makes it difficult), and being brave and unflinching in the face of aversity.

NO. Before I was Catholic I looked into other religions. I just have never heard any miracles from the pagan gods. So just explain to me what your post on backed by.
I gave you an extremely well known example which you ignored.

That's the entire fucking point of agnosticism.
And Atheism. I just choose to take plausibility into account.

Advice is never bad to take.
It is when it is factually incorrect and morally reprehensible.

Advice is never bad to take.

Advice, sure, but the very concept of needing a religion for the rules morals ideals etc. simply boggles me. That's what I'm talking about. The idea that people need religion in order to have order in their lives astonishes me, when people can just as easily (more easily in fact) get that same direction from themselves.

See, this is what's wrong with Christianity and, indeed, most religions. They cut themselves off from the rest of the world and complain that they're persecuted but it's okay because God will save them. This is very juvenile behavior, the kind of bullshit you'd see on an elementary school playground.

I basically do not wish to place my faith in something whose major goal is to "convert all the heathens" instead of making the most out of your life. By looking up all the time, you are doing things only out of a desire to be eternally rewarded and your intentions are selfish and greedy. Why can't I do things merely because I want to.

I am not sure why you quoted me and then said this. My comments were part of a conversation, and have nothing to do with what you said. Can you enlighten me?

Advice, sure, but the very concept of needing a religion for the rules morals ideals etc. simply boggles me. That's what I'm talking about. The idea that people need religion in order to have order in their lives astonishes me, when people can just as easily (more easily in fact) get that same direction from themselves.
People are told that religion = morality and they have a knack for just believing in things despite a lack of evidence. My morals come from where everyone else's do - society and evolution. I also am free of the baggage of bigotry and hate that so often comes with religion. I also feel that needing the promise of eternal salvation and the threat of eternal torment to be moral is not very moral at all.

Ah well, people are so obsessed with the Abrahamic Religions, that they don't even think that other religions (Namely Hinduism, Buddhism, Paganism which was derived from Hinduism, etc.) may hold the key to some truths.

Hinduism doesn't preach Hell. There is a temporary Heaven for those who are good. But both Good and Evil people are born again, it is a cycle of rebirths until you learn to denounce everything Materialistic (That includes good deeds, btw) and then you will attain the abode that is beyond temporary Heaven, which is Salvation.

Oh yeah, No Offense to anyone if I said anything wrong. I am a bit paranoid about these topics, it always leads to misunderstanding when I discuss it with anyone.

Chill, I am not going on a rant against Judaism, Christianity or Islam.

The core principle of Hinduism is rational, but that's been obscured by the mistaken Polytheistic identity of the religion.

^Yeah, where I live, fundamentalist Protestant Christianity is really the only form of religion here, there's a couple Catholic churches that are small but that's it, and they all believe in the same principles basically of Hell, Heaven, and you go to Hell foreveer if you're not a Christian, which is what my fmaily believes. I think the Southern Baptists are the dominant rleigion here.