The Guitarist Thread

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
Thought I'd make a thread dedicated for all us axe wielders to shoot the shit, talk gear, maybe post clips and videos and just generally have fun. This was kind of spurned on just before because I wanted to finally make some videos of my not-so-new-anymore-Hellraiser.

They're up here if anyone cares at all:

http://www.freefileupload.net/file.php?file=files/070406/1144377356/hellraiser-improv.MOV

http://www.freefileupload.net/file.php?file=files/070406/1144377843/hellraiser-seven.MOV

So yeah, start talkin!

ahhh, you were just trying to be humble

in print, without soft skin, a sweet voice, a set of....etc, i think its pretty cute.

and yes, i love talking gear. when i'm with a group of friends, and one happens to be a gearhead, the two of us tend to be the important wheels.

and, while i'm here...i'll share my...whats it called on harmony central?...GAS. i NEED a godin multiac nylon. there are a few variations, but i'm leaning towards the 1 7/8th inch nut. i really like to have a wide neck. i have huge, girthy hands. for me, a classical guitar is almost the perfect fit. a classical guitar's nut width is usually 2 inches. well, 1 7/8th inch...perfect! i also really enjoy finger picking, not just classical style...but using it more "riff-like" if you know what i mean.

and yes tubbs, i vividly remember casually wondering why you haven't posted in a while. where have you been?
anywhoo, it has a piezo-like pickup system....the saddle bridge transducer, or something like that. i'd like to try to find a super-smooth distortion, with no fuzz...just a warm sizzle...but with articulate crunch...and very clear...now at first, i thought that having a nylon string guitar with distortion would be a problem, that there would be no definition, it would be too soft under some drive...but, i keep reading reviews about the problems that people have with piezo systems...that they have to much "clack" when the strings are attacked. well...hmmm...could this "clack" be the articulation that i am looking for? i am just hoping that it saturates well, and doesn't become muffled by distortion.

any thoughts? suggestions?

JoeVice said:
and yes tubbs, i vividly remember casually wondering why you haven't posted in a while. where have you been?
LOL, I've been getting into emulation a lot lately. It's true, I've been playing super nintendo games on the PC for 3 weeks straight, completely ignoring everything else. (I still play them a lot, too, but right now I just don't feel like it for some reason.)

(...Don't expect me here as often, either. :()

Sorry 'bout that, let's go back on topic.

Tubbs Mcgee said:
LOL, I've been getting into emulation a lot lately. It's true, I've been playing super nintendo games on the PC for 3 weeks straight, completely ignoring everything else. (I still play them a lot, too, but right now I just don't feel like it for some reason.)

(...Don't expect me here as often, either. :()

Sorry 'bout that, let's go back on topic.

ahhh, i hate going off topic again...but i feel for you. at a point in my life, super smash brothers melee was the center of my everyday thought for about three months straight.

okay...if you like that game too, refrain from answering...just know that the connection i have with you through this game is telepathically staging conversation and is sharing battle stories, favorite characters...:oops: jigglypuff, roy,. ahhh...that was fun.

okay, guitars.

This isn't a movie but it's something I've done recently.

Click here to listen, rawr.

It doesn't have actual 'wanking' in it. I made a movie with wanking but I'm saving that for my new website, and it requires paid registration and you must be 18 years of age to enter.

Is it OK to hijack this thread with a particular guitar-related question?

if so, has anyone ever owned/played a PRS ce24? Any opinions on whether the early 1990s ones sound better?

I have a constant need to check out guitars and eBay may ruin my life in the near future. Does anyone else suffer from this disease?

Tubbs Mcgee said:
This is a thread for me! :D

(Kidding.)

I'm trying to make some songs right now and I might have some final stuff done by May.

Anyone notice how long I've been gone?

EDIT: Nevermind, nobody probably cares.

I actually did notice. Don't let it make your head fat, too, though!

Kenneth R. said:
You're not getting any wankery from me :lol:

Is that cuz you wont... or you cant???

hehe. just busting ur balls...

so guitarists...what bands are u in right now.. or what type of music are you making...

my prog jazzmetal funk country band has been put on hiatus because someone is really sick and on their deathbed where we usually jam... so... I joined a new band that is the complete and total opposite of the super long pretentious jam sessions im used to...

its like a 60's era pop band... the beatles, the zombies, donovon.. stuff like that.. totally not my thing but im having fun and im learning a lot about songwriting and about playing a song without being the center of attention. which is usually the case in a duel guitar metal band...

so what type of music are u guys working on now... hopefully something more creative than a moody doommetal project about the end of the world :Smug:

hehehe

oh... and I've heard people say before its much harder to write a good 3 minute pop song than writing an 8 minute opus... now i can truly say that is a load of crock... writing pop music is fun but easy and much more relaxed with a "whatever" attitude when compared to prog rock writing sessions.

PS. Enslaved pwns my soul...

Heckelgruber said:

if so, has anyone ever owned/played a PRS ce24? Any opinions on whether the early 1990s ones sound better?

I have a constant need to check out guitars and eBay may ruin my life in the near future. Does anyone else suffer from this disease?

i dunno about prs, but from my experience, any older big name brand guitar is better. it seems like a lot of companies *cough* (gibson) *cough* make shit quality instruments and sell them at the same price that their good stuff used to be, then jack up the price on their good stuff in the now. its fucking capitalism at its best...its fucking shitty.

as far as initial playability, i think that its hard to judge a cared for and well-weathered guitar in comparison to a newer one. pretty much every old guitar that i have played that has been taken care of feels better because its been "broken in." newer ones always have some rough edges, but with some tlc can become beauties.

As much as id love to further massage your ego...ill refrain. i appreciate the fact that you managed to fool the previous posters into contributing, when really this thread was just a vehicle for you to show off your obviously uninspired noodling. cute shirt btw.

Heckelgruber said:

i owned a prs ce24 about 4 years ago or so. i enjoyed it, but wasnt thrilled about the bolt on neck. it was a 1998 model, so i cant speak from experience on early 90s models. i can however say that ive loved every PRS model ive ever owned (3 and counting over time now), and anyone who says theyre overpriced/overrated crap...is obviously speaking out of jealousy and ignorance...rather than knowledge and experience. i would hold out for a standard or a custom though...the CE models are definitely the bottom of the food chain for PRS.

Stimuli said:
so guitarists...what bands are u in right now.. or what type of music are you making...
FINALLY, I was able to make a band, a FULL one, and I'm going to band practice tommorow. Who knows what we'll get done there? Some days, it's nothing, other days, I have 5 songs in my head.

I'll report back on sunday when it's over. (I might not even be able to make it, though.)

Oh yeah, I play progressive metal. I really would like to add death metal elements, but my friends don't like it. (Except for one that I'm trying to get into the band now.) So basically I WANT it to be progressive death metal.

Stimuli said:
FINALLY, I was able to make a band, a FULL one, and I'm going to band practice tommorow. Who knows what we'll get done there? Some days, it's nothing, other days, I've had up to 5 songs in my head.

I'll report back on sunday when it's over. (I might not even be able to make it, though.)

Oh yeah, and I play progressive metal. I really would like to add death metal elements, but my friends don't like it. (Except for one that I'm trying to get into the band now.) So basically I WANT it to be progressive death metal.

We don't have a name yet.