the hate thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Susperia said:
I turned 21 a week and a half ago. I don't feel any more adult. =/

Oh well--- Will you enter it next year?
You feel or you don't, but 21 is official adult age :) (Im not sure if I've built my phrase correct).
I think no, as its pretty expensive for me, and my skills in photography probably wont justify my hopes and tries. Its just not worth it. I still take it all serious though...

biggsy said:
Absolutely... I haven't really been into soccer before but this World Cup i got into it because of Australia doing well and I realised that it was a generally flawed game. The amount of diving is incredible, not just by Italy and Portugal but even by Australia, my home country. Put it up against a game like rugby leage or rugby union... it's ridiculous.The fact that there is one ref that lags behind play is laughable... the whole game is put in the hands of someone who can't see properly. Then there is no fall back system like a 3rd Umpire in cricket and rugby. The penalty against Lucas Neill was clearly, CLEARLY a dive, but the best team on the day were sent home. Another bitch, the refs at the WC have been absolutely fucking deplorable. Did anyone else see the Australia vs. Croatia game? One bloke got given 3 yellow cards... what the fuck? By the way, I hate France, I hate Italy (the soccer team anyway) so I really don't care who wins...

The annoying thing is, if it was played honourably it would be IMO (I'm English, go figure) the most interesting sport by quite a way. I admittedly pay close attention to it anyway, but find myself frequently disgusted not by the sport itself but by the way it's played, and things are only getting worse.

I think some of the refs should be cut some slack, the fact is that they do a very difficult job where, as you say, they can't help but lag behind play. Others do completely lack common sense, mind you. FIFA don't help either, they're well renowned for having ambiguous expectations and rules (see: offside rule), I'm not surprised the refs were inconsistent. You'll note that FIFA were very quick to blame the referees for all the tournament's problems - seemed like a scapegoat to me.

The Timebird said:
The annoying thing is, if it was played honourably it would be IMO (I'm English, go figure) the most interesting sport by quite a way. I admittedly pay close attention to it anyway, but find myself frequently disgusted not by the sport itself but by the way it's played, and things are only getting worse.

I think some of the refs should be cut some slack, the fact is that they do a very difficult job where, as you say, they can't help but lag behind play. Others do completely lack common sense, mind you. FIFA don't help either, they're well renowned for having ambiguous expectations and rules (see: offside rule), I'm not surprised the refs were inconsistent. You'll note that FIFA were very quick to blame the referees for all the tournament's problems - seemed like a scapegoat to me.

Truth, unfortunately.

t1_wallace.duncan.jpg

tim duncan > gay football

More like Teh Gayarse.

And yeah, the active thing is open for interpretation I suppose. But then that is the job of a referee. In a way all rules are ambiguous. How do you determine if a given action by a player is worth a yellow card or not? There are no concrete guidelines for that in most cases. It's the ref's responsibility to interpret those events to the best of his ability and to try and be fair and reasonable when judging them. Same with the active player thing. It is generally not incredibly hard to see whether a player is actively participating in the current action or if his presence there is just not relevant at the moment.

The main thing that they need to change is that they need to give refs the ability to judge by video footage instead of just their own eyes. If it were up to me I'd make the 4th official the overruling authority. He can sit at the sideline with a monitor and watch replays and overrule decisions made by the ref in the field when he misjudged something. And the ref in the field could speak to the 4th official through a mic/earpiece. The refs were already wearing those now, but I never saw any benefit from them. Even the 'giving someone a second yellow card and not sending him off' thing wasn't caught by anyone apparently (you'd think the 4th official would have noticed and made the ref aware of it).

Stuff like that is pretty ridiculous on a tournament of this scale where a lot is at stake.

Video evidence of dives should be reviewed and punished after matches with fines and suspensions handed out accordingly, I think this would help a lot and is not hard to put into practice. Football would be slowed too much for video replays to be implemented in the middle of matches.

Doing it afterwards would not fix the problem though. Take Italy, the fucker who took a dive and got a penalty against Australia in the 93rd minute would be fined/suspended, but it doesn't change the fact that Italy is undeservedly still in the tournament right now.

If the 4th official is the one watching the video replays and just communicates with the ref remotely I don't think it would slow the game down too much.

CAIRATH said:
Doing it afterwards would not fix the problem though. Take Italy, the fucker who took a dive and got a penalty against Australia in the 93rd minute would be fined/suspended, but it doesn't change the fact that Italy is undeservedly still in the tournament right now.

If the 4th official is the one watching the video replays and just communicates with the ref remotely I don't think it would slow the game down too much.

If they made the punishments harsh enough I think it could work. In the case of the Grosso (the fucker as you put it), he probably would not have tumbled if there was a possibility he would be banned for the rest of the tournament. Your idea is a good one, I think fifa should try it out in a competition this year, say the UEFA cup for example, maybe just for one round to see how it effects the flow of matches. It's definitely an issue that needs to be adressed and FIFA are doing fuck all.

CAIRATH said:
It is generally not incredibly hard to see whether a player is actively participating in the current action or if his presence there is just not relevant at the moment.

I'd say it was pretty hard, even if you're just doing very little at the opposite side of the field you're affecting the game by drawing a defender over who might otherwise be involved with the central play, for example.

The main thing that they need to change is that they need to give refs the ability to judge by video footage instead of just their own eyes.
If it were up to me I'd make the 4th official the overruling authority. He can sit at the sideline with a monitor and watch replays and overrule decisions made by the ref in the field when he misjudged something. And the ref in the field could speak to the 4th official through a mic/earpiece. The refs were already wearing those now, but I never saw any benefit from them. Even the 'giving someone a second yellow card and not sending him off' thing wasn't caught by anyone apparently (you'd think the 4th official would have noticed and made the ref aware of it).

Absolutely, as long as he makes his decisions quickly that would work fine. It can't be like rugby where they take a couple of minutes to decide tries, though, and because of this the fourth official might end up having limited views as well.

Edit: This is sort of superfluous, I left this window open from when I went out so I didn't read the other replies to your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.