the hate thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So basically, striving towards self-perfection (physical, mental, spiritual) while disregarding the illusions of the "reality" we've created for ourselves in order to transcend this plane?

Need to start smoking again, I'm starting to disregard my own nonesense.

Décadent;5738404 said:
So basically, striving towards self-perfection (physical, mental, spiritual) while disregarding the illusions of the "reality" we've created for ourselves in order to transcend this plane?

not so much "perfection", as that implies that there is an end to the journey... the path of self-improvement and enlightenment always brings new truths, as every day existance shifts to create new truths... it's basically about finding and understanding as many truths as one can before one bites it. and hopefully spreading some of that understanding to others who aren't so enlightened.

"reality" is "truth". to know the truth is to know reality as it is, without the filters and veils of material gain and obsession over our own mortal flesh.

this color is called "dark orchid"

Self perfection is something of a myth anyway, but I've always held the belief that there is an end to the journey, which begins a new one. As circular as everything else in existence, so it works for me.

...perhaps different measurements of perfection can exist as place-markers along the spiritual path... a man may learn to be a perfect father or lover or teacher or servant or just a perfect thinker... perhaps these different forms of "perfection" cannot co-exist in the same body, so one must move along the "path", losing old traits of past perfections while striving to find the next plane of enlightenment...

one must suffer to learn and grow. if one does not constantly suffer, one will not learn, one will not grow... if one does not pull up one's comfortable roots on occasion and subject oneself to the hardships of relocation, then one becomes stagnant, and therefore like a stone or an ox; without God or Spirit, and ultimately, without meaning.

one must suffer to learn and grow. if one does not constantly suffer, one will not learn, one will not grow... if one does not pull up one's comfortable roots on occasion and subject oneself to the hardships of relocation, then one becomes stagnant, and therefore like a stone or an ox; without God or Spirit, and ultimately, without meaning.

Funny of you to say that. Quite my current situation, and quite my predicament of uncertainty.

In terms of self perfection, I guess I was thinking on a larger scale ie. over the period of many lifetimes.

i am uncertain as to where i stand on the concept of reincarnation/recurrent perspective/eternal soul and all...

it's kind of like Heaven and Hell, there's just no way to understand such things while still living this life and there's no point in being distracted from the current semi-existential journey by getting lost in the boundless dimensions of that at once more complete AND incomplete, but indeed thoroughly incomprehensible, level of existentialism.

at that point one starts questioning the nature of awareness and whether the perceptive "I" perspective of conciousness can really be defined from within... but from what other view could one attempt to see... it's just too much...

If you believe Gurdjieff, an "eternal soul" is not something we're born with, but something we can attain by becoming "self aware". That is, awakening our true cosmic selves.

For me, there's enough memories floating around in my head that have never been a part of my lifetime for me to even think of doubting the concept of multiple lifetimes.

but does that imply that the soul is extinguished with the body and that it must be re-earned each lifetime?

and if so, what exactly, if not a "soul", is the thing which carries our "perspective" from body to body, life to life? what is "awareness" if not the state of being "with soul"... what else, if this body be but a vessel and a place holder, is doing the seeing?

but maybe i'm mistaken in my understanding of this view...

I don't subscribe to this thought myself, but it's an interesting perspective none the less. I think he mistook "awareness" for "awakening", but my broad knowledge of his work and/or mind is limited.

I think of it, more as... tapping into the eternal stream of objective consciousness.

Okay, The Grimace, pretty much everything that you just said is a load of bullshit to my ears, because any concept of a god, higher powers, souls, or "spirit" in general is just a bunch of meaningless nonsense as far as I'm concerned. And the idea that one must constantly suffer in order to improve? Where the fuck did you pull that from? I'm on a "path" of "self-improvement" if you will, but it's certainly not "spiritual."

how about a nice tall glass of shut the fuck up, negative nancy

?

god makes a deep life. you can either call it all "nothing" and be bummed at the nothingness of it all, or you call it god and smile cos you know that you are just a shiny pebble in the shifting stream of everything.

both are about the same in practice. one is fundamentally happier.
i choose that one.

:)

"it" exists independant of my naming "it". i choose to name "it" "god". "it" is "god". the naming is not the existance, but merely an acknowledgement. a perspective. a choice to see everything as interconnected and alive rather than independant and static.

I don't see how I was being negative, nor how not believing in a higher power is inherently conducive of a less happy life, since I tend to be happier than the theists that I know.

i'm not a theist, btw.

theism implies belief in "God" as an entity existing independant of the surrounding universe, whereas i believe the fabric of existance is "god", that nothing exists independantly of "god", that my "god" is "everything".

Status
Not open for further replies.