The Horror Movie thread

speaking of lovecraft, anyone seen the movie "dagon"?

Yup, I dig it. It's Stuart Gordon, so there are some aspects of it that are low budget or poorly done, but overall I thought they got the Innsmouth vibe down pretty good. The fish people are really creepy in it, I thought.

Another good one by Gordon is From Beyond....classic shit right there.

....and yes. I am very VERY stoked for ATMOM. Del Toro is one of my favorite directors. I think he's pretty consistent.

Well it used to be easy to rip on him when he was still practically a kid. At the time I figured him to be just another untalented, pretty-boy actor. However he started proving me wrong within the last 10 years or so.

Well it used to be easy to rip on him when he was still practically a kid. At the time I figured him to be just another untalented, pretty-boy actor. However he started proving me wrong within the last 10 years or so.

+1... yet I liked him as an actor since titanic, time proved me right, just look at his latest catalogue, blood diamond, body of lies, the departed, shutter island and now inception, all of them great movies... same with brad pitt and matt damon... on a side note, leo dicaprio just pulled himself out from the new mel gibson's project, a movie about vikings :) with all his legal problems we'll see if that movie gets to be filmed in the first place... would be cool to see an actual "acurate" movie about vikings, mel gibson always score when it comes to epic flicks.

Yeah there are not enough good Viking movies. I download any that I come across but so far they are all mediocre to above average, nothing fantastic yet. Probably because most writers that would write a Viking story only see the pillage and rape side of their history thus can't come up with an interesting story that could be considered an epic. This is where movies like Outlander (or even 13th warrior) come from, it's got some Viking/Nordic stuff but it's not a proper Viking movie. Then you have people that actually have the knowledge to write something decent, but they don't have any real talent for storytelling and you get Valhalla Rising. Sure it was okay but it's way too introverted and slow to capture most people's attention.

Yeah I edited that one in there a few minutes ago. 13th warrior is the closest I've seen, although I jsut remembered Beowulf & Grendel (not to be confused to Beowulf the animated one)

Yeah there are not enough good Viking movies. I download any that I come across but so far they are all mediocre to above average, nothing fantastic yet. Probably because most writers that would write a Viking story only see the pillage and rape side of their history thus can't come up with an interesting story that could be considered an epic. This is where movies like Outlander (or even 13th warrior) come from, it's got some Viking/Nordic stuff but it's not a proper Viking movie. Then you have people that actually have the knowledge to write something decent, but they don't have any real talent for storytelling and you get Valhalla Rising. Sure it was okay but it's way too introverted and slow to capture most people's attention.

I agree, we need more quality viking movies! There is acctually not a single one that's above average. Korpen Flyger would be the closest to a good viking movie but it is old and very old and very very very old.

Since this thread has been restored I shall give it a ramble I just saw House of 1,000 Corpses and have gotten about half way through The Devil's Rejects. I have to say that the first time I saw House of 1000 corpses I found it lame and didn't even finish it, but this second time I really liked it. Dr.Satan was fucking awesome looking, I keep hoping to see "it" return but I doubt it will given the more serious tone of Devil's Rejects.

I assume most people here have seen one or the other, and people's opinions seem to be split about these movies.

I agree, we need more quality viking movies! There is acctually not a single one that's above average. Korpen Flyger would be the closest to a good viking movie but it is old and very old and very very very old.

I just got Korpen flyger, and I will probably watch it tomorrow night. I was curious about it, but it's only 1984 so it's not that old. It's made in Iceland though so during that time it might look pretty cheap. Nice :D