The Mix that SUCKS THE MOST! TOPIC

I really like the mix on God Forbid's last couple of records! Never noticed them being muddy?!

Oooookay... I DISTINCTLY remember both 'To The Fallen Hero' on music channels here, and the entire album being nigh-on indecipherable, to the point where I decided I couldn't listen to it again...

Just listened back to it and it's really nice! What the hell happened with my ears 3 years ago?! :lol:

I forgot... Slayer. Divine Intervention. Nasty distorted sounding kick drum. :zombie: Though I don't know if Slayer with a pleasant-sounding mix would be quite the same.

Another "I forgot"... Megadeth. Rust In Peace. It's not the mix so much as the tones. Thin, boxy guitars (isn't that album Bogner and VHT? That's downright embarrassing!), the bass tone has no bottom, and... well, I guess the drums were probably alright in the room. I like generally like dry drums, but the drums seem to suffer from the same problem as the guitars. This is the original mix I'm talking about, mind you; I haven't heard the remix/remasters and I'm not sure I want to. I like the album, but it just sounds so... not heavy.

Another "I forgot"... Megadeth. Rust In Peace. It's not the mix so much as the tones. Thin, boxy guitars (isn't that album Bogner and VHT? That's downright embarrassing!), the bass tone has no bottom, and... well, I guess the drums were probably alright in the room. I like generally like dry drums, but the drums seem to suffer from the same problem as the guitars. This is the original mix I'm talking about, mind you; I haven't heard the remix/remasters and I'm not sure I want to. I like the album, but it just sounds so... not heavy.

I don't mind Rust In Peace, wouldn't say its particularly bad - So Far, So Good, So What? on the other hand.....

If looking only production wise, without concerning the musical content:

Metallicas ...And Justice For All, Ride The Lightning, Kill Em All, and St. Anger in that order. Those albums really suck productionwise. Master of Puppets, Black and Load/Reload are still one of the all time best sounding heavy metal records on any standard.

And Vio-Lence - Eternal Nightmare is quite awful too, some of you might know guitarists from their current band called Machine Head.

the first after the burial. every song has a different sound from the other and sometimes it's that harsh it hurts my ears.

Man, there are so many famous crap around that I can't tell the "top 3". But I'll name some productions I dislike.

In overall, I wouldn't remember anything that crappy except for the clear winner: St. Anger - and I think no explanation is needed. When something sounds too bad for my ears, I simply discard it.
Oh yeah, I got no words for FF's Transgression. It worse than my worst produced stuff. Guitars, drums, everything.
Another album I don't listen much because of the production is Evergrey's Monday Morning Apocalypse. Very lo-fi guitars, drums and vocals. I'm poiting this album 'cause they have made some kick ass stuff before, like Recreation Day and even The Inner Circle (although I find the guitar tone very tiring for long listenings).

If looking only production wise, without concerning the musical content:

Metallicas ...And Justice For All, Ride The Lightning, Kill Em All, and St. Anger in that order. Those albums really suck productionwise. Master of Puppets, Black and Load/Reload are still one of the all time best sounding heavy metal records on any standard.

And Vio-Lence - Eternal Nightmare is quite awful too, some of you might know guitarists from their current band called Machine Head.

I always thought AJFA was poorly produced, but it is good for it's time, I guess.

And I think everyone knows Robb and Phil used to be in Vio-lence.

I love the AJFA production. That guitar tone is crushing, and although the overall drum sound isn't phenomenal it was the beginning of the mid-scooped kick sitting prominently in the mix. How many records before it had guitars that heavy or kick's so clicky? We all know there isn't little bass guitar so no point banging on about that.

That album is also about 20 years old as well so deserves to be cut some slack. Poor? I think that album was a trend-setter for most metal bands that followed it!

Killswitch- As Daylight Dies. Maybe the mix is not to blame but the mastering. Absolutely no dynamics...such a boring sounding bloody record! Theres no punch, no ups and downs, no light and dark!

When "And Justice For All" came out, I thought it sounded so vastly superior to everything else I just couldn't believe it. When I got subwoofers in my car a few years later and found out how ridiculously heavy the kick drum was I just thought it was that much better.

I'm still hung up on that a little bit. When I put that record on I get that nostalgic feeling and I automatically think it sounds awesome. If I heard a new release that sounded like that I would probably think it had some problems....:lol:

God, I HATE the Justice tone - I guess it's considered "new-school" to actually like mids in my guitar tone, cuz Metallica still defines "most wretched guitar tone EVAR" to me, and the guitars on that album are the worst culprit because of how HIDEOUSLY woofy they get on the palm mutes. No thanks. Kick does rule, though.

when AJFA came out i remember thinking whats wrong with the drum sound ? its like lars is playing a little tin-pot kit! And i totally agree on Metaltastics comment about the wooffy gtrs
More interesting sound wise than Killswitch ADD though! ha! least AJFA has character.

I know a lot of people hate me for it but Nile's production on pretty much every CD makes me feel physically sick.
The fact that they're a fucking awesome band just about makes up for it though.

Lamb of God - New American Gospel is pretty disgusting too. Half the time I can't tell whether he's using kick drums or toms, everything's so clicky haha.
The Burn The Priest remaster is full of clipping aswell, it's horrible