The Mix that SUCKS THE MOST! TOPIC

Agreed on Nile, LOATHE their guitar tones and always will (now Behemoth, THAT is a band with a tone Nile should envy).

The newest As I Lay Dying album sounds kinda akward to my ears aswell. The guitar-tone sounds veeery compressed.

99% of true blackmetal sucks. because not only the mixes suck but also the music itself :p

The funn thing about Orde ad Chao is this, some time ago there was this interview with Atilla about the album.

He said nothing was done at the tables, only the kickdrum was triggered.

Now that made me piss my pants for weeks, why would you trigger the kicks if you don't do anything with the mix.

I know a lot of people hate me for it but Nile's production on pretty much every CD makes me feel physically sick.
The fact that they're a fucking awesome band just about makes up for it though.

Lamb of God - New American Gospel is pretty disgusting too. Half the time I can't tell whether he's using kick drums or toms, everything's so clicky haha.
The Burn The Priest remaster is full of clipping aswell, it's horrible

The Burn the Priest one really is one of the worst mixes I've ever heard. Digital popping everywhere - who the fuck let that go through?
My buddy really doesn't like the As The Palaces Burn mix, but I think that album has some of the absolute ballsiest guitar tones ever.
One I really hate is the newest Dimmu Borgir album. Worst sounding drums ever, and even worse is they managed to get that horrible sound live too.

Yeah Burn The Priest has to be one of the WORST mastering jobs ever. Sounds awful and unlistenable with the amount of clipping. As The Palaces Burn is a weird mix, I think it lacks low end, but I think its tracked pretty well in terms of performance which for me cancels out the strange sounding mix (somewhat ;)).

Yeah there was something about Undoing Ruin that sounds weird to me. I generally like Devin's stuff, but he has had a couple of funky mixes in my eyes.

Agreed. A lot of, or very apparent, high end perhaps? There's something very clear yet too piercing/compressed about certain frequencies on that record.

I was gonna say the early Lamb of god stuff as well, as much as I enjoy their last three records I only listened to new american gospel once after I bought it about 5 years ago. I'd be interested in hearing it again these days - but i seem to recall the kick drum sounding like lolly pops hitting against cereal packets...

I like the guitar tone quite a bit on "The Fall Of Ideals" myself. But I also find the drums to be pretty annoying bc they tend to have a very programmed sound to them. As for records that I am not real fond of the mixes......hmmmm
I am not very fond of my own band Bloodjinn's cd "This Machine Runs On Empty"s mix and I definantly hate their older stuff.
Other than that.....well I don't know.

Jamie King tried to apply his Swift formula to every band he recorded so everything that came out of the Basement sounded the same.

Jamie King tried to apply his Swift formula to every band he recorded so everything that came out of the Basement sounded the same.

Ehh I dig a lot of the stuff Jamie King has done. I mean I agree they all that sort of swift sound and tone to them, but for some of the projects it works really well.

New American Gospel has some really good stuff tucked away in there, but our downloading buddy Steve Austin made a bit of a hash of the recordings. The band said they were fucked out of their heads the whole time in the recording and thats why the quality is as it is.

The remaster I think was an improvement, but only helped as much as a remaster even can help........

Bloodsimple's first CD - if you listen to it through headphones you can hear punch-ins all over the place. The overall sound is okay, but it's almost like they played every riff/rhythm once and cut n' pasted the whole album together from there.

Steve

i like as the palaces burn. has a futuristic type sound i really dig. in fact. its my fav log production, which is weird. i like the sterility there is in the mix. reminds me of deftones white pony (another fav. mix)

i like as the palaces burn. has a futuristic type sound i really dig. in fact. its my fav log production, which is weird. i like the sterility there is in the mix. reminds me of deftones white pony (another fav. mix)

I wouldn't call it futuristic... it is my favorite mix of theirs though. It has this low fi sound, but it is incredibly ballsy, like two military boots to the face kind of ballsy.

+100000000 to the people who said As The Palaces Burn sounds good.
Ballsy as hell and deliciously lo-fi.

Got another to add..
Dream Theater - Images and Words + Awake
That horrible 80's snare reverb.. Ew..

the first after the burial. every song has a different sound from the other and sometimes it's that harsh it hurts my ears.

true that but dude their second album is omfg wow. it sounds amazing i talked to justin about it and they an amazing job on the drums he produced it by him self to, i love that band. but yeah their last album was with a pod DI the whole time