The most influential band in your life

Queen made me really listen to music when I was 14, Metallica (One) turned me into a meatlhead at 16, then Paradise Lost (Draconian Times) introduced me to darkest metal, and then Opeth and DT made me fall in love with extreme metal (and prog rock :) ). the last step was the discovery of Neurosis' A Sun That Never Sets a couple of years ago, followed by Isis' Oceanic

iron maiden for metal. DT for death metal. Bad Religion for life.

@Hyena: :lol: Sounds good.

It's odd to see people being steered by Paradise Lost; a band I always saw as some semi accomplished local group. Plus, arn't we usually lead into things by the accesible bands (most kids these days will hear 'Him' before they here sentenced or entwine)? How comercially available are Paradise Lost in your country Strider, or am I getting the wrong idea... i.e. you were already into some underground scenes when you heard of PL?

What I found strange about that post was that PL introduced him/her to the "darkest" metal, and DT plus Opeth to "extreme" metal. But it was probably meant in a more general sense (at least I hope).

@KC: Paradise Lost were good up to Draconian Times imo, and they are commercially available in the whole Europe, although I know what you meant, they are certainly not as "visible" as HIM. :)

And btw.: thanks for your replies so far everybody.

well about paradise lost, the first time I heard them was so about in 94 or 95 and a girl played a cassette with the gothic album.I was really impressed by this musik, so dark and someone who sings like dragon!!! they had a big influence in the mid-90s, so everyone who got in touch with gothicmetal in these 90e, he knew it from PL and not from HIM

My first metal band was Metallica in the middle of 6th grade when I turned 12. For the next few years I basically just got into thrash/classic metal, nu metal and some extreme metal like Slayer, Iron Maiden, Pantera, Morbid Angel, Tool, System of a Down, Soulfly, Black Sabbath, Napalm Death. Then when I was 15, I basically narrowed down to being this metal elitist only liking real metal with solos, RIFFS, extreme values or anything real interesting. Death, Opeth, Dream Theater, Emperor, Bathory, Summoning, Judas Priest were some bands that really hit me. Then when I was 17/18 I started liking Pink Floyd and I eventually got into progressive rock like King Crimson which made me accept other styles of music while still retaining my love for metal...

When I was in third grade I got into ZEPPELLIN, then more classic rock. Then in fourth (sigh..I can't believe I'm going to say this) grade I got into SLIPKNOT and CANNIBAL CORPSE. In fifth grade I got back into classic rock. During fifth grade, I had an awesome teacher who was into metal, and he made a metal tape for me. Mostly MEGADEATH and METALLICA, but he put FUTURE BREED MACHINE on there,and I shit myself. It is such a great song, and without it, I wouldn't be here. So thank you MESHUGGAH

So hard to say but i'll try to... :p
A stupid Twisted Sister video (which was a cover song,actually!!! :ill: ) introduced me to hard-rock in 1986,but the real flame was the mighty IRon Maiden.So I should say:
Iron Maiden---->metal
Agnostic Front---->old-school HC
Nuclear Assault---->thrash metal
Obituary----->death metal
Bad Religion---->melodic HC
Sense Field----->emo (which actually i don't like as a genre)
Dissection---->black metal
DT and In Flames---->melodic death metal
System of a Down---->nu-metal
Still Remains--->metalcore (which actually is a worse copy of swedish metal :p )
hum,i hate labels but i'm talking about it... :p
anyway i wanna say that the bands i like the most are DT and Blind Guardian...
:Spin:

Metallica and Opeth. Both bands being my absolute favourite for at least a few years each. I owe a lot to both bands, especially Opeth. Those two mark the turning points in my music listening uhh career. I do wonder how many more times in life a band is capable of meaning that much to me.

Nevermore, I listened to some Metallica and other stuff beforehand, but never really was interested enough to look for more. Then one day on the bus in sixth grade a friend gave me a CD to listen to. The CD happened to be Dead Heart in a Dead World, that was quite a shocker to me... It definately opened my eyes to a whole different world of music.

There In did it all for me. It just opened the door to a whole new experience, it is still one of my favourite songs, then came the rest of Projector which changed me into a different person. So it was DT that drew me towards metal and then everything else followed.

Interesting.

Basically I can sing along to three groups of music nowadays - just about anything played on the radio (i.e. pop&rock) between '96 and '98, any metal i've heard since 98 and anything I hear in the car nowadays with my gf.

I used to just listen to music for the hell of it, not really taking too much away from it as far as lyrics or actual playing went. I started to hear some Metallica when Reload released, and thus made my first foray into metal. I went a bit into some Pantera at that point, as well as some Dream Theater (which I highly underappreciated), scoffed at Megadeth in my ignorant Metallica fan-boy state, and claimed I'd listened to Maiden, when I couldn't name a single song.

In late '99, though, a good friend of mine heard some Dimmu Borgir, and recommended I download some. I did, found it a little harsh comparable to what I'd been listening to, and so I just basically downloaded about 2 songs from each band on Nuclear Blast and Century Media that I could find on Napster. At that point, I discovered Dark Tranquillity, The Kovenant, and Hammerfall. The last of those was mostly just humorous for me, though I still found it entertaining musically. The other two really defined the way in which my music tastes grew from that point on. From DT, I went to IF, then later to Opeth, though more to Katatonia. From the Kovenant, I really hit Dimmu hard, got a bit into Emperor, but more into Borknagar. Between the two, somehow I heard of Therion, and that got me into a whole new realm, that I still enjoy today.

~Kov.

as far i can remember, i've always been surrounded by music, like the doors, the rolling stones, the beatles because of my parents
but i got into heavy metal stuff thanks to metallica (wow how original hehe) and into more 'extreme' metal by DT...

I was never really into music until I heard Pink Floyd. They were my absolute favorite band for a two years!

Then I heard Opeth, really liked the mellow stuff (Benighted, Harvest, etc.) and eventually got into Dark Tranquillity, In Flames, and the rest of the melodic death scene.

Later on, I discovered Emperor, Burzum, Immortal, and delved into the black metal scene as well. :Spin: