The most therapeutic music?

The Deftones.
White Zombie
Stabbing Westward
Opeth - Silhouette.

It helps me think. When I think I am calm. When I think I am near-emotionless.

Although I listen to Silhouette a large amount anyway..

I find that to cure a bad mood, I listen to Raison D'etre.
Atomspheric music usually does it for me, as I find that I soothes me whether I listen to it consciously or sub-consciously. Trance music, even though somewhat repetative, does the job as well, as does, classical and down-tempo music.

Repetative music, like basic metal and pop/dance music, seems to reinforce my moods, such as when I'm feeling active/sporty, I'll listen to Fear Factory/Sepultura with it's fast beats and repetition.

Devin, Savatage, Buckethead's Colma... or really blasting black or death metal...I dunno, that relaxes me :D actually I find SUIZID very therapeutic!

Originally posted by Sadistik
really blasting black or death metal...I dunno, that relaxes me :D

Whoa, I thought I was the only one :D
Yeah, if I'm down, on goes the Mayhem, or some old Bolt Thrower, something like that. Just let it pound the negative thoughts out of you :lol:

Depends. Sometimes headbanging out my issues is the most theraputic way to handle my day and Arch Enemy's "Dead Inside", or Slayer's "Stain of Mind" work wonders.

Other times, getting lost in an album is the best approach, Anathema's "Judgement", Devy's Ocean Machine album, or just about any Opeth will do (well, not so much BWP).

Interstingly enough, soft stuff like the Therion track "The Siren in the Woods" keeps me awake, but Emperor's "Anthems" album often puts me right to sleep...

Honestly - metal cures me whether I'm angry or sad. At this point of my listening career, I find other forms of music shallow as an emotional pill.

Katatonia makes it all better for me. :)

When I'm down, it conforts me. Makes me feel not so alone in a way.

I had a whole mix just for this:
Alice In Chains - Down in a Hole
Diegrinder - Grasp
Dream Theater - Lie
Pantera - The Throes of Rejection
Pantera - Planet Caravan

It has a nice arc from sadness through anger back to mellow sadness.

I also use
Anathema - Alone... (well, most of The Silent Enigma)
To Bid You Farewell

The rest varies a lot.

usually i find these strike a chord with me when i'm down:

opeth (of course!)
empyrium
in the woods
agalloch
behind the curtain

When I'm angry any loud hard metal will do. "Kick your ass" energy is what helps

However when I'm sad, depressed, or lonely I have discovered that by far Dream Theater's IMAGES AND WORDS album will make me feel better. Something about the lyrics is genuinely positive and the music is incredible.

My own music... usually writing a simple song helps put my emotions somewhere and let me get past them... but as far as other peoples music its Katatonia, helps me really feel my problems and then im able to think clearly and get past them.

When I want to wallow in depression, or when it's raining outside and I have nothing to do that day, I love listening to Flowing Tears' Jade. Her deep voice is so hypnotic.