The name "Opeth" and racism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't read the book. But after google for ten minutes, it seems that only a minority of readers mentions the word racism in their articles/reviews/...

Amazon.com:
The charge of racism voiced by several reviewers is perhaps understandable, but one has to keep in mind that the book was written at a time (the late 1960s) when the kinds of events described in the "modern" section of the story (tribal Africans taking up arms against descendants of white colonists) were common.

It looks like someone's got to read the book and tell us, I think it's a matter of reading the book well.

This is pretty interesting

Lone Isle I salute you for coming up with this original thread

Thanks I was trying to think up a thread title that wouldn't imply that I'm accusing them of being racists or anything, which I definately don't think they are.

Opeth wasn't origionally made by Michael and besides that why the fuck would it matter if they hated some other cultures anyway? It doesn't affect the music. Everyone needs to stop being so obsessive compulsive.

"LiEk omgogmgogmhg!~`111 what iff mikAal actuAllY washed His Hairrr??// thAT Wuld B soo0oO0o0o0 untr00!!111"

The term "racism" is essentially meaningless since all it details is "catagorizing by race". If you note that the Martins are "hispanic" or Mike and Peter are "scandinavian" you are "racist" because you describe their genetic lineage.

Racism is reality- whether we like it or not, there most certainly are distinctly different population groups on Earth with genetic variation. The often ignorant and senseless use of it to victimize others is the problem, NOT the validity of the classification method.

I wish "racism" would cease to be a dirty word and political/PR tool.

Yeah, Emerson, I agree completely. My band is named Hexxus, which is the villian in a disney movie representing pollution and the destruction of nature... but its not like I want to set all the trees in the world on fire and bathe in petroleum.... or do I?

I do not agree. I think that Opeth sounds way too stupid to be chosen as a band name. It was chosen because of an ideology. This proves that Mike is Hitler's son. (look at that moustache, practically the same)
I learned way too much lineair algebra today.

Status
Not open for further replies.