The NBA thread

aww
Manute Bol, NBA player-humanitarian, dies at 47

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP)—Manute Bol, a lithe 7-foot-7 shot-blocker from Sudan who spent 10 seasons in the NBA and was dedicated to humanitarian work in Africa, died Saturday. He was 47.

Bol died at the University of Virginia Hospital in Charlottesville, where he was being treated for severe kidney trouble and a painful skin condition, Tom Prichard, executive director of the group Sudan Sunrise, said in an e-mail.

“Sudan and the world have lost a hero and an example for all of us,” Prichard said. “Manute, we’ll miss you. Our prayers and best wishes go out to all his family, and all who mourn his loss.”

Bol played in the NBA with Washington, Golden State, Philadelphia and Miami, averaging 2.6 points, 4.2 rebounds and 3.3 blocks for his career. He led the league in blocks in 1985-86 with Washington (5.0 per game) and in 1988-89 with Golden State (4.3 a game).

“Manute’s impact on this city, our franchise and the game of basketball cannot be put into words,” 76ers president and general manager Ed Stefanski said in a statement. “He … was continually giving of himself through his generosity and humanitarian efforts in order to make the world around him a much better place, for which he will always be remembered.”

Bol joined the NBA with Washington in 1985 and played three seasons there. He returned to the team briefly toward the end of his career. The Wizards lauded him as a “true humanitarian and an ambassador for the sport of basketball.”

“Despite his accomplishments on the court, his lasting legacy will be the tireless work and causes he promoted in his native Sudan and the cities in which he played,” the club said in a statement.

After the NBA, Bol worked closely as an advisory board member of Sudan Sunrise, which promotes reconciliation in Sudan. .

Bol was hospitalized in mid-May during a stopover in Washington after returning to the United States from Sudan. Prichard said then that Bol was in Sudan to help build a school in conjunction with Sudan Sunrise but stayed longer than anticipated after the president of southern Sudan asked him to make election appearances and use his influence to counter corruption in the county.

He said Bol had undergone three dialysis treatments and developed Stevens-Johnson Syndrome, a condition that caused him to lose patches of skin. Prichard said the skin around Bol’s mouth was so sore he went 11 days without eating and could barely talk.

Prichard said it’s believed Bol contracted the skin disease as a reaction to kidney medication he took while in Africa.

Janis Ricker, operations manager of Sudan Sunrise, said Saturday the organization will continue its work building the school in Bol’s home village in southern Sudan. She said Bol’s goal was to build 41 schools throughout Sudan.

Hey Nick, where do you think Bosh will go this year? I read a rumor about he going to LA. Don't think he will stay with the Raptors.

My guess Miami Heat, there's a big chance that Jeremie O'neil will leave and maybe Amare Stoudemire or Bosh to join Miami.

Very sad about Bol passing away. Seems like his life post-NBA was quite a downturn & struggle.

Bosh won't go to LA. He has a deep desire to be the franchise player of a team, and why would LA need him? Their roster just needs to mature a bit more now and they could then come close to the 96 Bulls imo.

I'd say we'll see Bosh head to CHI or NY. And I really don't think we're going to see LeBitch stay in CLE either.

Side thoughts: I think LA winning this year has brought to light just how far ahead of LeBron Bryant really is. Physical skill is not enough to make one great. James doesn't have the right mindset to be a true champion yet. People like Jordan, Bird, Magic and Bryant do. I see James heading to New York.

Great Game 7 the other night...Was at the bar and half wanted Celtics and the other Lakers...I'm so happy I didn't have to see KG celebrate again. Kobe is incredible, and is only getting better.

Very sad about Bol passing away. Seems like his life post-NBA was quite a downturn & struggle.

Bosh won't go to LA. He has a deep desire to be the franchise player of a team, and why would LA need him? Their roster just needs to mature a bit more now and they could then come close to the 96 Bulls imo.

I'd say we'll see Bosh head to CHI or NY. And I really don't think we're going to see LeBitch stay in CLE either.

Side thoughts: I think LA winning this year has brought to light just how far ahead of LeBron Bryant really is. Physical skill is not enough to make one great. James doesn't have the right mindset to be a true champion yet. People like Jordan, Bird, Magic and Bryant do. I see James heading to New York.

Lebron is a great player but I agree with Kobe being better. Lebron doesn't have the passion like you see in the other greats. I hear he might go to Chicago as well. We will have to wait and see.

I see James heading to New York.

Wow. Now that would be a fucking waste. LeBron is not experienced as Kobe so there is no question about who is better. Kobe have been in the finals like 10 damn times whereas LeBron only 2 or 3. He is still not mature enough for reaching for NBA championship. I've heard that he could be in Miami with Chris Bosh. Miami would have a pretty nice trio in their rooster then.

I have to say that even back in the 90s, despite loving Chicago, I loved watching NY games as well. Loved the 90s Knicks, and I even loved the Knicks this season just gone. Personally I'd like to see James go to NY. It would help put the NBA back on the map too.

Sad about Bol. Unfortunate and painful death.

I was at the game at Umass Lowell when Bol took the court as a Bridgeport player. Believe this was his first time playing in the States and it was a pretty big deal. Never forget standing at the top of the stairs watching him come up the stairs from the locker-room below...he took to steps up and was already at an eye to eye level looking at us.

Amare Stoudemire is now a Knick.

I'm really not sure how much I care about this. Thoughts?

From http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/06/sports/basketball/06stoudemire.html

July 5, 2010
Knicks Reach a Deal With Stoudemire
By HOWARD BECK

After two years of roster purging and payroll slashing, the Knicks got their first big payoff Monday and could hardly contain their optimism — rules, contracts and official signing dates notwithstanding.

Amar’e Stoudemire was on the Madison Square Garden marquee, wearing a white Knicks jersey with a No. 1 on the chest. His image filled electronic billboards across the premises. A large banner inside bore a slogan, “Stat City,” that played on his nickname, STAT (Standing Tall and Talented).

Finally, early Monday night, Stoudemire emerged with a blue Knicks cap on his head and proclaimed, “The Knicks are back.”

It will be two more days before Stoudemire can sign a contract, after the N.B.A. lifts its annual moratorium on deals. But his handshake agreement — on a five-year contract worth about $99.7 million — was enough for team officials to start a small celebration.

Stoudemire, 27, is a five-time All-Star, a prolific scorer and a supreme athlete who, along with Steve Nash, anchored elite Phoenix Suns teams. He is the most talented player to wear a Knicks uniform in more than a decade, since Patrick Ewing’s decline.

“The best thing about him is he will accept the challenge, and he will not shy away from it,” said Coach Mike D’Antoni, who coached Stoudemire for five seasons in Phoenix.

The other best thing about Stoudemire, Knicks officials hope, is his ability to recruit elite free agents. The Knicks are courting LeBron James and Dwyane Wade, who are expected to make a decision in the next few days.

James made no public statements Monday as he attended a basketball clinic in his hometown, at the University of Akron. He is weighing offers from six teams. Wade met Monday with the Miami Heat owner, Micky Arison.

The Knicks have generally been viewed as a long shot to sign either player, because their roster is young, thin and generally unproven. Stoudemire’s presence means that Wade and James would no longer have to worry about lifting the Knicks back to respectability alone.

“This could help get the dominoes falling,” D’Antoni said. “He’ll be a great teammate for somebody.”

Stoudemire is friendly with both James and Wade, and said he would be recruiting both of them.

“Both guys, Dwyane and LeBron, I’m pretty sure would love to play with me,” Stoudemire said, “and vice versa. So hopefully, we can get one of those guys to join me here this year.”

As Stoudemire spoke, a series of beaming Garden officials circulated through the room, including James L. Dolan, the Garden chairman; Hank Ratner, the Garden chief executive; and Scott O’Neil, the MSG Sports president. Also circulating was the film director Spike Lee, who signaled his approval with raised eyebrows and a big smile.

Three decorated former Knicks — Allan Houston, John Starks and Larry Johnson — were also there for the occasion, unofficial as it might have been.

Technically, there is no binding agreement between Stoudemire and the team until the contract is signed Thursday, and salary figures could change slightly. Everyone present flirted mightily with the league’s rules on announcing deals during the moratorium. Team officials spoke in conditional terms about the contract, trying hard to use “ifs.”

The deal had effectively been in place since late last week, when the Knicks and Stoudemire’s agent agreed to a basic outline, pending in-person discussions. It was first reported by Yahoo Sports.

There was not much to negotiate. Stoudemire wanted a maximum contract, and the Knicks said they were willing to give him one. Once he broke off talks with the Suns, his path became clear.

Despite Stoudemire’s proven talent, there is risk in the deal. He had major knee surgery in 2005 and eye surgery in 2009, rendering his contract in Phoenix uninsurable. Donnie Walsh, the Knicks’ president, said he was uncertain about insurance for the new deal but said, “I guess because we don’t know, we’re willing to take that risk.”

Chris Bosh, the Toronto Raptors power forward, was slightly ahead of Stoudemire on the Knicks’ big-man wish list. But Bosh, like Wade and James, is dithering about a decision and seems determined to join one of those two players somewhere.

Stoudemire made a quick commitment to the Knicks, which made their decision easier.

“I just love the city of New York, the state of New York,” Stoudemire said, “and being a part of a great organization is the ultimate goal for a player, and to ultimately win a championship.”

Once the Knicks sign Stoudemire, they will have about $17 million of salary-cap room left, enough for one more max contract. If they miss on James and Wade, they could split that sum among several role players and make Stoudemire the centerpiece. They have been aggressively pursuing the sharpshooter Mike Miller and are interested in point guards Raymond Felton and Luke Ridnour.

“It’s the first step — it’s a big step,” said Walsh, who worked feverishly for two years to create the cap room for this heralded free-agent class. “I think we’re further along, that’s for sure.”

Stoudemire was undaunted by the possibility of being the Knicks’ sole star player.

“Totally comfortable, totally confident,” he said. “And my leadership qualities will uplift all of us.”

Stoudemire’s arrival probably spells the end of David Lee’s career in New York. Although D’Antoni said the two could play together, the Knicks have a much greater need now for a point guard and a true center. Lee is being pursued by Chicago, Miami, Minnesota and the Nets, as well as several teams without cap space that want to acquire him in a sign-and-trade deal.

“I don’t really say never to anything,” said Lee’s agent, Mark Bartelstein, when asked if Lee’s tenure had just ended. “Stuff goes on every day. We’ll just see what happens.”