The neck of Alexi/Roope's old Jacksons

SilentAfterTerror

Mary's Little Lamb Of God
Apr 21, 2010
Just wondering if anyone has a clear shot of the neck. If my memory serves they are satin or unfinished necks (same same wtv). I'm thinking about sanding off the paint on the neck on my RR24 as i like the feel of unfinished ALOT more than painted necks. I've been through the pic thread already but nothing that clear on it (best I found was a side shot of it) . So does anyone know how the neck is done for neck thru Jacksons?

I'll upload a few pics in a sec.

The WildChild was painted.
zsk2kl.jpg

The green pinstripe one was unfinished.
n14cav.jpg

The 'Stone' RR was unfinished.
27zx11c.jpg

Roope's RRs were unfinished.
2u8wku8.jpg

2570oyr.jpg

They were finished. i believe the only guitar he has with a finished neck now is the 1st Scyth guitar he had(white)

Also, instead of sanding all the paint off your jackson, you can just take a really fine grit steel wool and rub the finish on the guitar to make it smoother, essentially making if feel like an unfinished neck, but without removing all the paint.

Heres a little video that can explain it alot better than I can

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn...I should have known that. Those are the same guitar pics in the new mag I got showing all his guitars and gear.

Never realized the headstock joint on the Jacksons was so far down the neck. I know on the Ibby's it is alot closer to the headstock.

Ah thanks Mitch. Sure made things lot easier. Now that srob mentioned I totally forgot you could just sand off the gloss :p. The only thing I'm doubting is what the wood would be like if I sand off the paint. So I might actually just sand off the gloss (but would the finish go off :S) and keep it black satin. I have 2 RR24 so I guess it wouldn't hurt to try it... but is it worth it :S

If you use a really high grit like the video suggets it doesn't take all the finish off, just enought to get it smooth and get rid of the stickiness of it. the finger test he does really made me realize how sticky a painted and finished neck can be.

Mitch......is that your bike in your avatar pic? That thing looks sick!!!!

I think I'll giv that I try on my Schecter Hellraiser first. I'm just a lil bit worried on how it'll look afterwards :S

My dad plays with guitar that has neck finish, but mine doesn't have one. I could certainly feel the difference between the guitars. But ummm, are you sure that if you sand off the gloss of the paint, won't make any problems in future? Like the paint falling off and stuff. If not then this is really nice.

You are using such a fine grit that it doesn't actually take all the finish off.

Never done it to a guitar, but when I re-finish wooden gun stocks it is the same process if you want it to smooth out.

Plus you can always put finish back on it if you really wanted to.

If you use a really high grit like the video suggets it doesn't take all the finish off, just enought to get it smooth and get rid of the stickiness of it. the finger test he does really made me realize how sticky a painted and finished neck can be.

Mitch......is that your bike in your avatar pic? That thing looks sick!!!!

Yup! :D

Since you got your new bike wanna sell your J2SP now :devil:

Jk, I'm happy with my rhoads! Honestly I've been hearing ppl say Jacksons are the best and all that but I was never convinced till I owned one :p I've played the rr3 before but it is nothing compared to the rr24 :worship:

I'd sell my RR for £10,000. :D

And I haven't fixed it yet nah, haven't got round to trying to find a piece of suitable wood that'd slot into the hole.

I had drilled the hole in the back of the guitar where the screws go because they weren't very deep, but I made them a bit wider near the entrance, so when I was playing it the other day, the screw fell out so it's now unplayable.

:confused:

The claw screws?

Just break a toothpick off in the hole and put the screws back in. The extra wood will give the screw threads something to grab onto.