The Never Ending Now Playing Thread

Amorphis - the Lost Son

My uncle, who doesn't listen to metal anymore, introduced me to metal when I was 11 years old via King Diamond and Sepultura. I outgrew Sepultura, as most people did. But King Diamond is just one of those things that, as you get older, you realize how fucking amazing he is relative to anything new you encounter as the years go by.

I mean, I'm not a huge fan of almost anything after In the Shadows and Time (to me Mercyful Fate and KD are the same band). But Them, Abigail, Conspiracy, Don't Break the Oath, Melissa... since 1993, my playlists have changed so much. King Diamond is the only constant. Also... Black Horsemen is my favorite song on Abigail!

(FYI, I picked up Iron Maiden much later in life, if I had listened to them earlier, they might have always been there, too).

i discovered king diamond when i was 16. it was like... "wow what the hell is that?" it was something really new, and incredible and diverse from what i was used to....
he has been a constant in my life since then. fav groups come and go in years but some things remain unchanged. i totally worship him.
i think he is one of the most brilliant musicians in alltime's metal history. he is a gorgeous singer, a fantastic story/songwriter, a superb actor ( if you have seen him live you know what i mean), a perfect interpreter and live performer....
i have the same impression about the kd/mf thing, he is the mind behind both groups so i see them as a whole, like you....
i had the fortune to see mercyful fate live, in 1999, few time before they decided to have a pause with the group.
i've seen king diamond live two times, 2000 and 2006, and i can say they are probably the best shows ever seen in my life!
i don't like the latest works of KD, especially the puppet master and give me your soul. but i loved voodoo or house of god, and abigail II was really brilliant!

puppet master was great.

i hated it! :lol:

first i didn't like the introduction of the female voice, king is THE VOICE, second the story wasn't that beautiful, especially the love part between king and his wife, "do you remember the butterfly" "yes it made my cry"

oh my fucking gooooooooooooooooood! you're the king of darkness!!!!!!!!!!
what the hell are you doing???????
you're married ok...you're in love, ok! i understand that....
but keep this all OUTSIDE YOUR WORKS! PLEEEEEEEEEEEEASE!!!!

:lol:

I don't care what he sings about as long as the music's good like it is on puppet master. King diamond lost his satanic lyrics a very long time ago..

well, the king isn't the king without his lyrics.
what made him special to me was the concept thing, the horror stories (not necessarily connected with satanism, the satanist lyrics belong more to MF), the fact he is a sort of actor, who plays all roles in the story .....king is not only a singer, he is more than this.
so i DO CARE about lyrics.
there are so many groups out there of which i don't give a fuck about what they're speaking, but he is one of my favourit artists....and i felt very bad, disappointed and betrayed from the last two albums....

Therion - Gothic Kabbalah

"do you remember the butterfly" "yes it made my cry"

oh my fucking gooooooooooooooooood! you're the king of darkness!!!!!!!!!!
what the hell are you doing???????

Laughed hard at this.

I think one thing I like about the older albums is that the lyrics' cheesiness is practically the best part of the music. This isn't just regarding the King Diamond albums, even the less story-driven Mercyful Fate albums are interesting their own way.

I mean, for example, the Old Oak from In the Shadows. The lyrics themselves are cheesy but when accompanied with the music, it's freaking EVIL. The old oak hanging tree... it's just the way he writes up these really evil things that could be anywhere. The old oak could be in front of anyone's house.

It's the same with Them. What makes the story scary is not that there are demons, but that it's freaking grandma who is possessed by Amon, and the MUSIC is scary. It's scary but it's also cheesy. It's kind of its own mythology among people who listen to metal. The newer stuff doesn't have that oomph for me.

Maybe it's just me. I love fairy tales. And King Diamond is very good at putting together something that actually accompanies the music, a narrative, that doesn't take itself too seriously but is fun to follow. No one would ever claim that Them and Abigail are great short stories in themselves. But as concept albums? They're amazing!

FYI that's also why I like the Protomen, as cheesy as it sounds. I know it's Megaman rock opera, but when people take these story-based albums, like King Diamond, and focus on making great music while giving you a story, it can be very good!

On the opposite side of that is pretentious narrative shit like Coheed and Cambria. What a terrible fucken band. Unlistenable. And their die hard fans... wow. Tragic.

Therion - Gothic Kabbalah

Laughed hard at this.

I think one thing I like about the older albums is that the lyrics' cheesiness is practically the best part of the music. This isn't just regarding the King Diamond albums, even the less story-driven Mercyful Fate albums are interesting their own way.

I mean, for example, the Old Oak from In the Shadows. The lyrics themselves are cheesy but when accompanied with the music, it's freaking EVIL. The old oak hanging tree... it's just the way he writes up these really evil things that could be anywhere. The old oak could be in front of anyone's house.

It's the same with Them. What makes the story scary is not that there are demons, but that it's freaking grandma who is possessed by Amon, and the MUSIC is scary. It's scary but it's also cheesy. It's kind of its own mythology among people who listen to metal. The newer stuff doesn't have that oomph for me.

Maybe it's just me. I love fairy tales. And King Diamond is very good at putting together something that actually accompanies the music, a narrative, that doesn't take itself too seriously but is fun to follow. No one would ever claim that Them and Abigail are great short stories in themselves. But as concept albums? They're amazing!

i agree with that. i think is the whole, music + lyrics, that makes him special.
you can follow the story only by listening to music, sudden changes, diverse atmospheres, vocal armonies and change of tone let you understand where there are moments of horror, moments of laught, moments of peace.
you can follow the story only by listening, only by reading, or both together, which is a very absorbing experience....it's like you're throwed inside the story....
that's why king diamond isn't the same for me without interesting lyrics.
i think he had reached perfection in acting all parts, i love the Trial's dialogue between the inquisitor and the witch, it's amazing how he can act both male and female voice....

well, the king isn't the king without his lyrics.
what made him special to me was the concept thing, the horror stories (not necessarily connected with satanism, the satanist lyrics belong more to MF), the fact he is a sort of actor, who plays all roles in the story .....king is not only a singer, he is more than this.
so i DO CARE about lyrics.
there are so many groups out there of which i don't give a fuck about what they're speaking, but he is one of my favourit artists....and i felt very bad, disappointed and betrayed from the last two albums....

I found the puppet master story to be intriguing, and the lyrics on that album are meant from the thoughts from the puppets minds. I can relate to the puppet master story, and I believe King is still doing fine, even for being older now. So be happy he's still making music, and not another dead legend. The new King diamond dvd will be out soon, so that should be very interesting. I know King will not start singing about butterflies so we don't have to worry too much.

What's it like? (och var fan fick du tag i den?)

It's very much a continuation of where they've been headed in the last couple records. As my personal favorite Anathema is probably Judgement followed very, very closely by A Fine Day to Exit (though, honestly, I'd say these days they're tied), I'm enjoying it. Though sometimes there's a little bit of Coldplay, which isn't cool. (Fick den av kvinnan som ordnar Peaceville/K-scope i Sverige.. har äntligen fått kontakt med henne, men jag är ganska säker att det inte kommer finnas nån läckt kopia eftersom bolaget är jättestrikt med promo kopior..)

It's very much a continuation of where they've been headed in the last couple records. As my personal favorite Anathema is probably Judgement followed very, very closely by A Fine Day to Exit (though, honestly, I'd say these days they're tied), I'm enjoying it. Though sometimes there's a little bit of Coldplay, which isn't cool. (Fick den av kvinnan som ordnar Peaceville/K-scope i Sverige.. har äntligen fått kontakt med henne, men jag är ganska säker att det inte kommer finnas nån läckt kopia eftersom bolaget är jättestrikt med promo kopior..)

Sounds great! Judgement is easily my fave as well (followed by Alternative 4 and Eternity). I've come to love A Fine Day To Exit as well, but I wasn't that happy with A Natural Disaster. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to this record. (och jag får så snällt vänta till den 31e Maj :saint:)

Boards of Canada - Open the Light
Music Has the Right to Children (1998)

got a pounding headache somehow since a couple of hours ago, trying to cure it with some relaxing tunes. doesn't seem to help, maybe taking an aspirin is a better idea :Smug:

Ikuinen Kaamos - Fall of Icons. It's too damn Opeth. They always were to Opeth like Vulture Industries is to Arcturus, but now it's too much IMO.