The New Katatonia Album First Listening Ritual

heh, just a WHAT??!1

Some beers, some darkness outside and some good headphones are usually what i need in (serious) cases like this.

As with every Katatonia release it will just disappoint you as it always has done.

Thats because to expect to put this album on and appreciate it in any way with in first play is impossible. TGCD for me was a journey of listening, to me now each and every song on that album has a huge place in my soul. But that took time.

So my plan is to prepare myself for an experience like no other forat least a year before I really understand the album.

As with every Katatonia release it will just disappoint you as it always has done.

Thats because to expect to put this album on and appreciate it in any way with in first play is impossible. TGCD for me was a journey of listening, to me now each and every song on that album has a huge place in my soul. But that took time.

So my plan is to prepare myself for an experience like no other forat least a year before I really understand the album.

I find this very true...
But only with the two last albums.

jesus...

your posts really are kind of pessimistic

Wait a sec. Is that even possible?
You are going to hear music you've never heard before, but it's not going to strike you as beautiful at the first listen 'cause you've imagined it more beautiful?
Whatever you are expecting it will ALWAYS be something you didn't expect or would be able to predict, and therefore it will always impress...
At least... it works like that for me with Katatonia

Wait a sec. Is that even possible?
You are going to hear music you've never heard before, but it's not going to strike you as beautiful at the first listen 'cause you've imagined it more beautiful?
Whatever you are expecting it will ALWAYS be something you didn't expect or would be able to predict, and therefore it will always impress...
At least... it works like that for me with Katatonia

Like how you finish off this argument :D

Very very funny...not being mean here...just think it's very funny how you start off VERY sure and finish off not AS sure at all anymore.

It's very likely that Myownsilence is trying to say that he's not going to have a chance no matter what he does when it comes to becoming let down in the beginning. But he will try to prepare himself..even though he really doesn't have a chance.
...in the end he will love it.

I feel the same kind of confusion...so I think I understand this, even if I might not. :D

jesus...

your posts really are kind of pessimistic

Myownsilences has a tendency to be pessimistic, but also very enthusiastic (if you ask me). I think what he said here was positive, because in the end..he knows he will love it. Isn't that positive?

Like how you finish off this argument :D

Very very funny...not being mean here...just think it's very funny how you start off VERY sure and finish off not AS sure at all anymore.

Hehe yeah, I also felt I was missing my point towards the end :p
I understand that you can not be VERY enthusiastic about it at first listen.
I understand that the album will have to grow on you before you really can value it.
But I don't understand where disappointment fits in here really.
And yeah I agree with Phoenix5; it's pretty pessimistic to say you will be disappointed at first.
I would say I'll probably love it at first listen, and love it even more later. But hey, that's me

i agree, there are only a few albums that blew my mind away in the first listening

Hehe yeah, I also felt I was missing my point towards the end :p
I understand that you can not be VERY enthusiastic about it at first listen.
I understand that the album will have to grow on you before you really can value it.
But I don't understand where disappointment fits in here really.
And yeah I agree with Phoenix5; it's pretty pessimistic to say you will be disappointed at first.
I would say I'll probably love it at first listen, and love it even more later. But hey, that's me

:-D
I guess it all depends on how your mind works.
I'm always afraid that I won't like it in the beginning. Viva Emptiness was like that with me..I just put it away for a loong time..tried it again. Still didn't like it. Then TGCD came..didn't like it much, but there was something about it..and *bang* all of a sudden I loved it..and then I tried ViE again..and suddenly I loved that album too. This only happened with the two last albums though. I'm not sure I'm hoping for this progression...but I hope the new album will be a grower..but not take years before I like..heh.

Probably a beer in a dark room, taking it easy.. Not really do anything but listen to the cd while lying in my bed with my eyes shut .__.