The New Katatonia Album First Listening Ritual

MiniMoose

Apr 22, 2008
Short version of this thread:

What will you do when the new album comes out? Will you just pop the cd in the cd player and listen to it or will you make it a special evening?

By special I mean..will you do something out of the ordinary? Taking your car out for a long run with the album is also a good idea..just wondering how people here do IT. (?!)

Long version (optional):

Ok, I do actually think this might be the lamest thread I've ever made...but for some reason (probably because had a night shift and slept bad during the day today..) I feel it needs to be done.

WHEN the new album arrives...I'm thinking of creating my own little "seance"...or special first listening night.

I'm actually sure I've never longed for an album this much ever...I just imagine myself opening the album, looking at the wonderful yet strange artwork.. brushing through the lyrics before I put the cd into the cd player.
I will hush my gf...make her lie down on the sofa with me to listen through the first songs....this will be a carefully planned ritual. I know she likes Katatonia rather well now too after being carefully brainwashed these last few years..so she will actually do this with me. (or else! ;)

So far the event will be. It must be dark outside. (so I'll probably have to wait some hours..argh!)

Everything besides the cd player will be turned off.
I think I'll go for the cliche..but there must be:

Red wine
Some candles lit (not a lot..cause I'm too old for the dreamy goth stuff now)
Home made tapas...
Chocolate cake (chocolate cake is always good, stfu!;)

THat's my first thoughts on this New Katatonia album ritual. I might be sounding too much of a fan right now...and a bit childish, but my mind is made up. This means THAT much to me right now at least.

Anyone else have any thoughts around this? Will you just pop the cd in the cd player and listen to it or will you make it a special evening?

And if anyone doesn't want to answer this thread...be nice and just say something...because I do feel like a total twat already :)

Charming thread :D

I'm not sure what I would do. I will most certainly make something special out of it, but I'll leave the exact details to the moment. (I'll listen to it when the moment really feels right)
Most likely I'll wait till it's dark(ish) and everyone in the house has gone to bed. And I'll lie on the couch with my headphones on, as I usually do with my new cd's

Most likely will go to a quite and comfortable place, listen with my Monitor Headphone, and drink something. Also enjoy the booklet, view the lyrics, and repeat all again till i've memorized everything.

Most likely will go to a quite and comfortable place, listen with my Monitor Headphone, and drink something. Also enjoy the booklet, view the lyrics, and repeat all again till i've memorized everything.

Pretty similar to what I would do, except the memorize thing.

I think I'll probably just have some low lighting (late at night) and make sure there's no distractions and just relax and listen. That's what I did for the new ISIS album.

I might have some red wine though... That could go well.

When Steven Wilson released Insurgentes I sat in my room and listened to it in 5.1 surround with a couple glasses of champagne. It was great! I plan to do that for the new Porcupine Tree as well, so would probably do something along those lines for the new Katatonia :) Having a glass of wine late at night and just chilling and listening to the new CD would be wonderful.

I'll wait until bed time. Then listen to it lying in bed with headphones on in the dark just before I go to sleep. I've found this a very good way to listen to new albums because your can focus all your attention on the music, and when the album ends you simply remove your headphones and fall asleep, or hit the play button again...

Downloading it as soon as its leaked. Then just playing it right on over Notebook speakers and start writing my first review on the Kata-board while I'm half through the songs. j/k :)

I go to an old abandoned warehouse where I draw a giant pentagram on the floor in goats blood. I light around a thousand candles that surround the pentagram. I turn on a smoke machine and then I lay in the center of the pentagram nude in a crucifix position and begin listening.

I go to an old abandoned warehouse where I draw a giant pentagram on the floor in goats blood. I light around a thousand candles that surround the pentagram. I turn on a smoke machine and then I lay in the center of the pentagram nude in a crucifix position and begin listening.

Definitely trying this :kickass:

Downloading it as soon as its leaked. Then just playing it right on over Notebook speakers and start writing my first review on the Kata-board while I'm half through the songs. j/k :)

Hahah..funny..

Damn..your name is Anthony...was hoping you where a girl right now. Is it okay if I pretend you're a girl? :p

Hah! I remember that when Watershed first leaked, I turned off all of the lights in my room and blocked all of the windows. I then drew a thick blanket over myself to assuredly block all light. I then listened with noise canceling studio headphones at ample volume... yeah...

That was as elaborate as my listening rituals have ever been...