The Odyssey vs. Paradise Lost

Which album do you like better?

• Total voters
The Odyssey was the first Symphony X album I picked up mainly because it was the only album available given it was your typical retail music store. I never really listened to their style of music before, so it took a few listens to really start appreciating it. After that I was hooked and the rest of the discography was purchased as funds were available.

My favorite album will always be DWoT, not because it's the more popular choice, but it has the songs that I don't need to be in the mood for to listen to; they put me in the mood to listen to them when they start up. I don't get that feeling with PL, though I do like the album.

Lately, I've been doing extensive listens of all of their albums. I wasn't a big fan of TiO in the past, but the album really grew on me, and is one of my more favorite albums. Also, hearing the extended version of Through the Looking Glass at a concert is probably my favorite Symphony X moment, more so than The Odyssey. Even though The Odyssey played lived is more epic, it's near impossible for Allen to hit those Ithica notes, and I like the more improv nature of TtLG live.

I wasn't a big fan of TiO in the past, but the album really grew on me, and is one of my more favorite albums. Also, hearing the extended version of Through the Looking Glass at a concert is probably my favorite Symphony X moment, more so than The Odyssey. Even though The Odyssey played lived is more epic, it's near impossible for Allen to hit those Ithica notes, and I like the more improv nature of TtLG live.

I completely agree with you about Twilight; it took me a long time to really appreciate the album (Church, Looking Glass, and Orion are amongst my favorite Symphony X tunes). And yeah, Looking Glass live is incredible. They busted it out in '08 (they hadn't played it since the V tour to my knowledge) and it had the extended middle section with bass and guitar solos that were great! I kinda wish it was on the studio version!

Remember though, the band was under massive time constraints with the Twilight album; if they had the time to perfect it, the album might have been as good as Divine Wings.

Paradise Lost. It was my first SX album, if you can believe that. It is more consistent than The Odyssey, across the board. Every song is top-notch.

It is more aggressive, yes, but I like that, and it is also very technically challenging, which I love. I also love the sound. (Then again, I'm probably the only one in the universe who thinks Train of Thought is the best Dream Theater album, so who knows). On the whole PL is a very tight and well-knit album.

I agree with some of the "favorite songs from PL" chosen above, but "Seven" has not yet been mentioned. What's wrong with the keyboards on that tune? Not a bad little bass break either. I think that song is greatly underrated. (I might compare it favorably against songs like Wicked or Fool's Paradise).

I also think "The Sacrifice" is one of SX's finest songs, bar none. Are there any grown men out there who can listen to that song without getting goosebumps?

[Note: I just turned up The Sacrifice on my player just now, and I had to (a) crank it up to "eleven," and (b) completely stop diting this reply. I just can't do anything else when that song is playing.]

The Odyssey has some songs that are not as good as others. It is an uneven album, as others have said above, tho I do have great respect for it in its entirety, and the songs I do like on it are amazing and excellent.

I agree with the comment above that both albums are of different genres and might not be And I see no reason to put either one down. It's like the "favorite child" question.

But if you're holding a gun to my head, I'm picking Paradise Lost. The whole album sets my heart pumping like an aerobic workout, from the first beat to the last.

I think the hostility toward PL might come from the lack of an epic track, which I agree is sorely missed. But still, as an album -- a hour-long block of music from start to end -- I think PL makes a very strong case for itself.

Paradise Lost. It was my first SX album, if you can believe that. It is more consistent than The Odyssey, across the board. Every song is top-notch.

It is more aggressive, yes, but I like that, and it is also very technically challenging, which I love. I also love the sound. (Then again, I'm probably the only one in the universe who thinks Train of Thought is the best Dream Theater album, so who knows). On the whole PL is a very tight and well-knit album.

:headbang: Not the only person. Agreed on both counts. As I said earlier, title tracks and Accolades on The Odyssey and DWOT are amazing but V and PL are more consistent to me.

Then again, I'm probably the only one in the universe who thinks Train of Thought is the best Dream Theater album, so who knows.

While I don't think it's their best album (that has to go to Images or Awake), it is certainly one of my favorites. It's the only post-1997 album from them I can enjoy in its entirety.

I agree with some of the "favorite songs from PL" chosen above, but "Seven" has not yet been mentioned. What's wrong with the keyboards on that tune? Not a bad little bass break either. I think that song is greatly underrated. (I might compare it favorably against songs like Wicked or Fool's Paradise).

Seven is a bit too thrashy for my tastes; there's only so many palm-muted sixteenth notes in rapid-fire succession that I can take without getting bored. I find it to be a decent song with an excellent instrumental section (the bass solo is incredible), but the rest of the album is just stronger to me.

I also think "The Sacrifice" is one of SX's finest songs, bar none. Are there any grown men out there who can listen to that song without getting goosebumps?

While I think it's a good song, most would say it is one of the weaker tracks on the album. Personally I think it is completely overshadowed by the title track.

I'm surprised by how pwned PL is in this thread. To me, it's more brutal, in a good way, but also has its share of so-sos (Serpent's kiss, The sacrifice). 'Odyssey' is more consistent in that regard. Really a tough choice.

I feel that overall PL is a fine album. There is little deviation between the good songs and the 'meh' songs, which shows consistency. However, the levels of 'good' just never really hit that greatness plateau, or don't hit it for long enough. So while TO has songs that I dislike more than PL, the good songs on the album are truly amazing, making it more memorable and gives a better lasting impression as time passes.

On a graph, I picture PL starting at a decent height with subtle ups and downs where TO looks more like a mountain range.

If Twilight was given the full time to be completed, V might not have turned out as amazing as it is! Most of the title track for Twilight, which was cut, was transformed into Rediscovery II (From what I've heard).

I think Seven and Sacrifice might be my two least favorite songs on the album. I don't really like Eve of Seduction either. StWoF, Babylon, Paradise Lost, and Revelation may be the only songs I really enjoy and love off the album. The rest are just okay IMHO.

Turning and Incantations are the only two off the Odyssey that I would consider "filler" but even then, they are still both decent tracks...

The Odyssey is a masterpiece, and full of dynamics. It has everything that Paradise Lost doesn't.

True Story.

I take Odyssey over PL but i do enjoy Paradise for what it is a more strait forward metal album , also out of those two albums i enjoy the shit out of serpants kiss and wicked i don't care what anyone says LOL:oops:

Easily the Odyssey for me. It has some of the best Symphony X songs, in Accolade II, Awakenings, and the title track. I also like Inferno, and Wicked and especially The Turning has grown on me. Incantations is a filler though.

On PL, my favourites are Revelation and the title track, which both are excellent. Set the World on Fire and Eve of Seduction is decent, while Babylon has grown on me. The rest of the songs I seldom listen to, tbh. Songs like Domination and Seven just get too heavy/less progressive for me( though I admire the evil-sounding piano part in Domination at 4:10, and the epic interlude in Seven at 3:40)

Generally, The Odyssey has more great songs, and is a better album overall.

I don't feel we're ripping on Paradise Lost. But come on, everything about the odyssey is more appealing. Paradise Lost, is not 'actually' heavier. Its just them turning the amps to 11, and throwing a wall of noise with over compression. Thats what Paradise Lost is, The Odyssey is heavier, and more raw. And more so, V is there heaviest album, its like the feeling you get when some motor cycles drive by, blast paradise lost, it feels like a crotch rocket. Blast V, you feel it down to your soul. Hence, the harley! Obviously the vox arnt as heavy, but thats part of why everyone prefers them.

tough choice.. don't get me wrong, i love both. although Odyssey i just "got" musically.. and it was my first SX album (that and their self titled, which i also love).. Paradise took me about a month to really get into the album.. the sound, the mixing, etc.Odyssey I can listen whenever, Paradise you kinda have to be in a mood to fully appreciate it..

aside from serpent's kiss.. the album sounds pretty flawless to me.. despite the fact there are a few songs on Odyssey i skip, it still gets my vote.

The Odyssey was my first SX album as well. I bought it back in 2003, and although I liked it right off the bat, I found it too heavy, and I didn't fully "get" it yet (save for the title track... I instantly loved it).
I was coming off of a Maiden streak...
Whenever an odd time signature came up, I knew something was different, but I didn't understand what it was... I liked it.
7 years later, and I'm a proghead. V is now my favourite SX album. PL was disappointing, but I still think it's a quality album.

Oh... and I can barely stand Maiden anymore.