The Odyssey vs. Paradise Lost

Which album do you like better?

• Total voters
Bad and unnecesary comparison. The Odyssey is SICK and can't really be compared with any other album. What I don't understand either is that why Incantations Of The Apprentice would be a filler song. Haven't you heard it?? Riff starting at 0:22 could bring down walls.

For me PL was the quickest SymX album to get more uninteresting the older it gets.
This. No doubt PL is a good album regardless, as it comes from quite a decent band.

What I don't understand either is that why Incantations Of The Apprentice would be a filler song. Haven't you heard it?? Riff starting at 0:22 could bring down walls.

I used to think it was filler, but it's grown on me over the last few years. I still think it is the second-weakest song on the album (to me, The Turning is the very definition of filler), but the other seven songs (I'm including Frontiers here) are so excellent that they make a good song (Incantations) seem like filler. Incantations also doesn't really have the melodic aspect that the rest of the album (sans The Turning) has, so it's hard for it to compete. But I do like the song; in particular the bass groove and funky guitar chords in the intro. The main riff is good, but I feel they've done better with their "pedal" riffs, and the solo is excellent. I also like the "open" style of the verses for the vocals to take over.

It took quite a while to open up for me too, but now it's actually one of my favorite songs on the album. I could imagine the thrashy feel doesn't appeal to everyone right away either.

When I listen to Incantations of the Apprentice, I laugh every time I hear "magic hands," because I have the mind of a seven year old...

When I listen to Incantations of the Apprentice, I laugh every time I hear "magic hands," because I have the mind of a seven year old...
There will be a song called "The Mighty Masturbator" in the new Devin Townsend album. Could probably utilize those magic hands in that context better.

It took a while for Incantations to "hit" me as well, but I love it now.
Once again, a fun song to play on drums (I used to play it for fun with my guitarist friend on drinking nights at my place).
The solo has a part that sounds like Fantasia, which I don't think is a coincedence.

I don't think you can say which of these is better because they are so different. If I have to choose one, it would be The Odyssey. But I also really like Paradise Lost. The Odyssey is slower and heavier and more like their previous releases. Paradise Lost is faster and less prog. The Walls Of Babylon is the best track and my favorite from Paradise Lost. It's not that easy for me with The Odyssey. Wicked, King Of Terrors, Accolade ll, Awakenings, The Odyssey. They are all outstanding tracks. In the end, of the two CDs, I voted for The Odyssey.

^ wtf

It does?

From The Odyssey special edition liner notes:

"Being that the lyrics were based on The Sorcerer's Apprentice by French composer Paul Dukas, my original thought was to incorporate a large section of the actual score into the song, with orchestra and the band. It didn’t seem to fit and slowed the momentum of the song down... so we scratched it. Although there are still hints of the original Dukas melody in the guitar solo section." - MJR

They have all the liner notes on Wikipedia (and yes, they're accurate):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Odyssey_(album)

I wish they had done notes like these for PL - did they even have a special edition of PL? I like the depth and analysis.

The Walls Of Babylon is the best track and my favorite from Paradise Lost.

Gotta agree with you there!

Haha, awesome.

I can't listen to the song right now, but the part I'm referring to is within the solo section; there are multiple lead guitar lines haromonizing... right before the blistering alternate picking end to the solo (as far as I remember).

Another person referred to the "rough voice"---I am with him. I see no need to "growl" as I put it when you have such a great voice. Odyssey does indeed have more melodic moments which I also like. Have tickets to see them in Phila. in April and I can't wait !

A good prog metal vocalist can and will utilize a plethora of vocal techniques. I wouldn't listen prog metal if I only enjoyed pop vocals. Altho, there's always bands like Seventh Wonder...

Plus, it's NOT growling. More like distorted belting - Pressured vocal fry is usually referred as growling/guttural vocals, and Russell hasn't done that on any album yet. I couldn't really imagine SX with blastbeats and growling, but you never know what they'll do in the Allen/Orlando/Portnoy project. :)

I couldn't really imagine SX with blastbeats and growling, but you never know what they'll do in the Allen/Orlando/Portnoy project. :)

Ha, Portnoy will probably sing more than Russ will. :lol:

Orlando: So guys, I've got this sweet riff, listen...
Russ: Cool, I'll figure out a melody...
Portnoy: Actually, I was thinking I'll just play a simple drum part for most of the song and talk-sing these awesome lyrics I have about the time I got addicted to booze, cocaine, and sex all in the same night! I also have a sweet trilogy of songs about me not getting over how much I hate my stepdad! Russ, you can sing improv "woah woahs" in the background!
Russ: ...

I had heard of SX throughout the early-mid 2000's, then read in a Guitar World article that they would come out with a new album. I forgot about it for like 4 months then found it in a FYE shop (yeah, remember those?) and bought it. I went home and listened to it and thought overall it sucked. About a year later, I found "V" on a top 100 prog album list and decided to give the band another try. That album blew me away, and remains in my top 5 favorite albums. I then immediately bought Odyssey and DWOT.

I enjoyed half of the Odyssey and didn't really care for the rest. I didn't really like PL at all though so I will have to go with Odyssey. There are still traces of V scattered throughout the album I think. And as we all know, the song, The Odyssey is a masterpiece.

Ha, Portnoy will probably sing more than Russ will. :lol:

Orlando: So guys, I've got this sweet riff, listen...
Russ: Cool, I'll figure out a melody...
Portnoy: Actually, I was thinking I'll just play a simple drum part for most of the song and talk-sing these awesome lyrics I have about the time I got addicted to booze, cocaine, and sex all in the same night! I also have a sweet trilogy of songs about me not getting over how much I hate my stepdad! Russ, you can sing improv "woah woahs" in the background!
Russ: ...

That doesn't sound like Portnoy at all to me. He did great in Transatlantic at least. And I don't think Russ seems to care much for melodies anymore. I think it'd go more like this:

Orlando: So I am trying to get more semitones in this c scale chromatic minor pentatonic scale. Should I play this lick in 3/4 time or 7/8 time?
Russ: I don't know, let me ask the librarian what story I should use for this song...
Portnoy: Ok, guys, I want this song to be a 42 minute epic about addiction, hope and faith...
Orlando: Hey, are you guys even listening to me?
Russ: Fuck it, I'll just scream the lyrics, I think NASCAR is gonna come on in 4 minutes...
Portnoy: Alright, I'm gonna tweet about this for the next two weeks...