The Odyssey vs. Paradise Lost

Which album do you like better?

• Total voters
I took guitar lessons for 5 years and never got too far into the scales. Some guys get way too carried away with the particular wood their guitar is or the pickups or whatever. I always joke about semitones. Guitar is more of a side instrument in my music, I'm mainly into synthesizers and bass lines.

I took guitar lessons for 5 years and never got too far into the scales. Some guys get way too carried away with the particular wood their guitar is or the pickups or whatever. I always joke about semitones. Guitar is more of a side instrument in my music, I'm mainly into synthesizers and bass lines.

LOL, I just quoted you when you talked about Semitones in another thread a few minutes ago.
There's nothing wrong with people getting really into their craft. It may not be for everybody, but it's still something to respect.

This thread isnt fair. The song Odyssey alone is better than most albums alone.

Good songs on Odyssey:
Inferno
Accolade
Awakenings
Odyssey
Frontiers (Masquerade doesn't count for obvious reasons)

Good songs on PL:
Everything besides the Sacrifice which has a good solo and...wait, thats the only weak song.

Quality and quantity balance out.

I don't like Frontiers, Masquerade, or Incantations. Every other song still kills PL though. If Walls of Babylon were on Odyssey - it would be perfect. The song fucking rapes my ears.

Frontiers and Masquerade are awesome, I've always liked the newer version of Masquerade with Russel better. Walls of Babylon is the only "heavy" song in PL that's good. (could be just me, but I think whenever SymX does a song with an exotic feel to it, it ends up being pretty awesome)

Incantations is filler.

Frontiers and Masquerade are awesome

Agreed. I actually think Frontiers is one of the most interesting songs they've done (both musically and lyrically), although I understand why MJR thought that it wouldn't fit on The Odyssey album due to its tonality (some major sections) and theme (space exploration). It may have been a departure from the typical Symphony X mythology formula, but I don't mind that once in a while. The music was also amazing; Lepond and Rullo's standout parts make the song for me. I also love the depth of the vocal layers in the chorus. The song almost has a 70's prog feel to it...

While Masquerade '98 is great, I can't help but wonder what other songs from the s/t album would have sounded better re-recorded with Russ and Lepond. Premonition, Asbinthe & Rue, Thorns of Sorrow, ALBD, Shades of Gray...

Yep, joking about that last one.

Frontiers and Masquerade are awesome, I've always liked the newer version of Masquerade with Russel better. Walls of Babylon is the only "heavy" song in PL that's good. (could be just me, but I think whenever SymX does a song with an exotic feel to it, it ends up being pretty awesome)

Indeed, this is why i would put Egypt in my top 5 SX songs.

Incantations is filler.

Half of the album is filler.
//

Paradise lost is no doubt a good album, but the odyssey is what defines Symphony X. Its magical music and you just don't get that vibe from Paradise Lost.

I'm not going to pick either because I like them both for their own reasons.

Regarding Russ' 'rough' vocals on PL, I mentioned this once before in another thread but I might give it a re-run because I've never heard this theory/analysis anywhere else. The first couple of songs as Russell is singing 'rough', he's singing as the devil. He's p!ssed off and wants to revolt against god and heaven, of course he's not going to croon! Then later, in Paradise Lost, when he realises the path that he's taken and what he's brought about, he is much more regretful and resigned, and Russell reflects this in the vocals.

There are touches like this all through the album which you start noticing when you listen to it in its entirety (it is a concept album after all!) that reveals a depth that you might not notice if you just dismiss the songs as not proggy enough or a power metal sellout or whatever.

I'm not going to pick either because I like them both for their own reasons.

Regarding Russ' 'rough' vocals on PL, I mentioned this once before in another thread but I might give it a re-run because I've never heard this theory/analysis anywhere else. The first couple of songs as Russell is singing 'rough', he's singing as the devil. He's p!ssed off and wants to revolt against god and heaven, of course he's not going to croon! Then later, in Paradise Lost, when he realises the path that he's taken and what he's brought about, he is much more regretful and resigned, and Russell reflects this in the vocals.

There are touches like this all through the album which you start noticing when you listen to it in its entirety (it is a concept album after all!) that reveals a depth that you might not notice if you just dismiss the songs as not proggy enough or a power metal sellout or whatever.

Did you actually hear someone from the band say this or is it your own theory? Because I highly doubt it is that deeply thought through:loco: Russel has on numerous occasions said that he just does stuff that feels right at the time. Plus in one interview he states that he has poured a lot of frustration into his singing in PL and that's why it sounds rougher than before. Your theory does make it a lot more interesting though...

Did you actually hear someone from the band say this or is it your own theory? Because I highly doubt it is that deeply thought through:loco: Russel has on numerous occasions said that he just does stuff that feels right at the time. Plus in one interview he states that he has poured a lot of frustration into his singing in PL and that's why it sounds rougher than before. Your theory does make it a lot more interesting though...

Have you read John Miller's Paradise Lost? I did, and Russel most definitely is singing as the devil/demons who are in hell planning their revolt. I think it might be hard to argue against this one, just look at the lyrics. We know this is a concept album being the story of Paradise Lost as the band have stated.

But does this give the album any value or justify the change in singing style and genre? NO!
I have no clue why he chooses to sing with his harsh vocals, they are awful and simply unnecessary.

Have you read John Miller's Paradise Lost? I did, and Russel most definitely is singing as the devil/demons who are in hell planning their revolt. I think it might be hard to argue against this one, just look at the lyrics. We know this is a concept album being the story of Paradise Lost as the band have stated.

But does this give the album any value or justify the change in singing style and genre? NO!
I have no clue why he chooses to sing with his harsh vocals, they are awful and simply unnecessary.

Believe it or not, I have read it:p I'm just thinking about what he himself has said about it, no more that that:)

The Odyssey, despite being inferior to V or other earlier works, is my favorite album of all time. PL ranks pretty low in how it stacks up to their whole discography in my opinion. Despite that, it's still better than 99% of all other music.

Believe it or not, I have read it:p I'm just thinking about what he himself has said about it, no more that that:)

Okay : ) Yeah anyway he hasn't said anything about that for sure.

Even if it was true, Russel has always had a way of doing aggressive vocals before PL, but it was different, and a lot better in my opinion.

The Odyssey has plenty of harsher vocals but they are very well done and sound a lot more convincing than on PL.

I just listened to The Odyssey all the way through a bit ago. There is so much maturity felt in the songs it's amazing. And I don't see anything wrong with the lyrics at all. Also Romeo's solos are still creative and full of emotion.

The biggest thing that stood out to me though, was how amazing Russel's vocals are on The Odyssey. His style seems perfected, which makes me absolutely shocked and saddened to hear his vocals on PL and Iconoclast (live 3 songs). His new vocals are so amateur it's just dumbfounding. Someone who has a distinct style and a great voice suddenly changes to sound more like someone on American Idol. I have no idea what happened other than Russel just running out of ideas. Which in that case, he isn't really to blame.

I just think it's such a bad move. It's like he started over with his voice and song writing skills.

Nearly every aspect of Paradise Lost is lacking when compared to The Odyssey to me. Though I agree with what some people have said in regards to PL being better than most music these days. While true, I still cannot enjoy the album personally.