The official and most atmospheric Children of Joonas thread

The thing is, I feel bad sometimes being mean to the guy, but I don't know too many people that are more pretentious and self-absorbed. It also doesn't help that I only hear him talk about one band over and over.

Still, Joonas, you did mention In Flames. I wasn't aware you were a fan of them. I figured you'd be very against them if anything since their take on melodeath was very different from Bodom

It's clear you know nothing about me. Pretentious and self-absorbed, meaning...? That I know I've directly and indirectly influenced certain things? Of course I have, so what? Last time I checked this forum is about one band... You guys are so funny and it's a shame you have this negative approach which always puts a lid over the flame of creativity.

I'm a fan of Bodom, In Flames, Cradle of Filth, Hypocrisy, Death, Amon Amarth, Swallow the Sun, and countless other bands and single albums from various styles of music. In Flames do what they're supposed to do, while Bodom got lost on the way and need to be reminded they should sound dark, intense and atmospheric.

It's clear you know nothing about me. Pretentious and self-absorbed, meaning...? That I know I've directly and indirectly influenced certain things? Of course I have, so what? Last time I checked this forum is about one band... You guys are so funny and it's a shame you have this negative approach which always puts a lid over the flame of creativity.

It's almost as if you're insinuating that you have some sway over the way Bodom has wrote for their last few albums. If that's the case, then why are the last few albums all trash?

In Flames do what they're supposed to do, while Bodom got lost on the way and need to be reminded they should sound dark, intense and atmospheric.

In Flames hasn't released a good album in a while though. The last decent thing they did was A Sense of Purpose and even that wasn't a groundbreaking album. They stopped being In Flames when their founding member and last original member left. Jesper was their main songwriter for years and with him gone it shows in spades. It's sad to see. I'm actually more disappointed in them than I am new Bodom actually. At least Bodom is still trying to write metal whereas In Flames are just trying to break into the mainstream.

It wasn't the music I talked about, but some other cool stuff, but it's needless to repeat what happened...

I didn't even bother to give a full listen to the last albums Purpose, Playground, Siren, because I can instantly tell they were forced despite not having enough creativity, and the newest album is clearly trying to appeal to young modern listeners. My point is they haven't deviated from their style the way Bodom has. Their new stuff still sucks tho. Some good songs but that's it.

Honestly, out of all of those old melodeath bands, DT might be the most consistent. Granted, there are a few albums by them I don't care much for, they still haven't dropped the ball as hard as a lot of other bands from their era. I still haven't heard the recent At the Gates though so who knows. Maybe it's decent?

Anyways, the song is definitely a step forward. That solo was pretty cool.

Considering you like atmospheric stuff, do you like DSO?

also

The other song didn't touch me.

If you mean Deathspell Omega, I haven't listened enough to form an opinion. Listening to some song now, but hard to grasp what they're trying to do musically and whether they control their music or it's just a fortuitous attempt to throw together musical elements in hopes of causing an accidental brainchild.

I'm willing to bet that you just haven't listened to the right material by them. They're ingenious, but some of it does take some time for it to click.

So they'll play My Bodom live next, announced by the band.

Too bad very few pics were sent for the video...

Strangely it became the song I gave the most spins on the album, despite hating it at first. I grew liking catchy riffs with as little melody as possible. The chorus is great obviously, the verse is good and the bridge riff is good... the first melody is nice, but I don't mind the rest, and that goofy riff after the midway is stupid, but it's a potential song. Arranged awkwardly, but some nice sections. It just gets fucked up in the middle. Should've maintained the intensity of the first half all the way thru, maybe with another darker riff in the midst, then a third chorus and end the song with an echoing orchestral hit or something. After the first unison melody I think a short twin guitar harmony solo could've been more fitting, stop the solo immediately to a loud orchestral hit and continue with the riff. If there was a third chorus at the end, it would've been great without lyrics, just a scream, since the song started so abrubtly with immediate vocals.

Last edited:
This band is really not taking care of their social network. No information even on their live tours anywhere to be found. Makes me think they're in some sort of crisis and probably not making another album anymore. Fans don't film their shows anymore, and suddenly no-one's making covers of their songs anymore. At least they're doing a few interesting song choices to spice up the live side. Are they really that rich already there's no need to care? Because they could easily harvest gold by taking care of this side.

Maybe I am their unofficial and pay-free network agent.

This has to be among the best Finnish songs ever. COB should make a cover of this if they intend to keep going slow and heavy and more simplistic without much solos...

What I personally think they should do is dark and heavy soundworld, but keep it fast and intense. Speed and intensity can make up for both creativity and technicality, so even on a bad day it would be difficult to go wrong... only go slow when you have an atmospheric melody or riff going on. You can always wish 'be more creative' or 'make epic songs', but technically all I can suggest them is to try to get an electric, dark soundworld for the next album. You have the invincible elements of electric speed riffing, orchestral hits, euphoric melodies and earth shattering riffs, focus on that and forget the rest.

Just stumbled upon this new shit, nicely dark sound and menacing guitar atmosphere.

Last edited:
What the hell is wrong with the world...? Metal is becoming a minority sector in music, nobody uploads a video of My Bodom, jobs are scarce and few, you're invisible to women unless you're a super model, smartphone mass hypnosis, vegans getting so much hate, nature being ravaged, F1 racing made for pussies... fuck this. Take what you still have, care about the few close people you have and watch the world burn like a torch.

Last edited:
I've always thought that Halo of Blood was the worst song of the so-called album, but the more I listen to it, the more I think it might be one of the best. I don't want to act like Joonas, but I must admit that the atmosphere is really catching.

Hey Joonas. You're always talking about atmosphere and shit, and today a friend of mine played me a band I had never heard before, and it's quite amazing. It's some kind of mix between black metal, folk, and Chinese opera. IMO the whole album's a masterpiece, so give it a shot, you might like it. And it's particularly interesting considering the fact that there are so few Chinese metal band worth listening.

Hey Joonas. You're always talking about atmosphere and shit, and today a friend of mine played me a band I had never heard before, and it's quite amazing. It's some kind of mix between black metal, folk, and Chinese opera. IMO the whole album's a masterpiece, so give it a shot, you might like it. And it's particularly interesting considering the fact that there are so few Chinese metal band worth listening.
It's really nice, but how can he listen to it if you didn't write the name of the band, just described it's style?