The Official Awesome 80s Shred Guitar Thread!

I agree with the first two, but SLAYER???
really?
I mean both of them are just hitting random notes without any key reference or meaning.
it's really just "I have arse all clue what scale/note would fit, so I'll just shake my right hand as fast as I can and move the left over the fretboard fretting random notes.

honestly, where you just kidding or do you really think they're good lead players?

Agreed about Slayer, I can think of only 2 solos that sound like they were thought out before recording...Crionics and Divine Intervention

Don't care what anyone says, but Yngwie was ON FIRE on those first two albums with his lead playing. Some of the most inspired leads of the period, that's for sure

Agreed! I mean, come on...I Am A Viking? :worship:

I just figured Yngwie was automatically implied as one of THE 80's shredders. :)

Dudes, let's not forget his Odyssey album. That album killed, the songs were catchy, and the singer is probably my favourite of all the other yngwie vocalists.

Even up to Alchemy, there were always at least a few really good songs on Yngwie's records IMHO. People are missing out when they think there's only mindless neoclassical wank on these records. Odyssey is probably the most coherent though and yeah, great performance by Joe Lynn Turner. The records he did with Jeff Scott Soto ruled pretty much too.

Wow. I was expecting a lot more Yngwie bashing...

Post your favorite Malmsteen pieces!
I remember back when I was talking weekly lessons with Stump, we jammed on I am a Viking for like half an hour just trading off, and I was going to miss my train back hahah but we just KEPT GOING hahaha it was a blast.

What a cocky bastard...:lol:

I see no love for Fredianelli...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIXoZCZVeW8&feature=related[/ame]
Am I the only one who thinks Apocrypha is the Nevermore of the 80's?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really noone knows who he is ... hahahhahahaha

We planned on doing a few Apocrypha songs but couldn't get Fredianelli to say ok, well we actually never got a reply, but I wouldn't want to be out there playing his stuff without his permission.

Shame. That band is so underrated.

Can't believe I almost forgot Tommy Vitterli aka Tommy T. Baron.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmJJov7wOCc&feature=related[/ame]

...Am I the only one who thinks Apocrypha is the Nevermore of the 80's?

:headbang: I forgot that I used to own this on cassette tape! Part of my vast Shrapnel collection. :D

Well...since the Yngwie song 'Crystal Ball' has been mentioned, I guess I'd next have to go with...

Sexy Shawn Lane with the Willy's, shreddy AOR greatest guitar solo ever (starting at 3:30):

Obvious choice (startin around 3:13):

Another great free solo from Jarzombek on this very Rushy part (from 3:20):