The Official Awesome 80s Shred Guitar Thread!

..stuff...
I agree with the first two, but SLAYER???
really?
I mean both of them are just hitting random notes without any key reference or meaning.
it's really just "I have arse all clue what scale/note would fit, so I'll just shake my right hand as fast as I can and move the left over the fretboard fretting random notes.

honestly, where you just kidding or do you really think they're good lead players?

Inspired by our very own: Chryst Krispies

This is the album that completely turned my guitar playing world upside down. All the chromatic madness made me go
:OMG:
chas9.jpg

David T Chastain - Elegant Seduction

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sw8kt3E18-s&feature=related

Yo Saculus! We gave DTC the love in the first post :p

But ya dude, that's some awsome shit, and that instructional vid was killer! Scott Travis ripped the shit out of everything he played on it!

not exactly shred but good guitarists from the 80's ....

Bernie Torme​
[ame]http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=1v-5ym3AUGo&feature=related[/ame]

Francis Dunnery/It Bites (solo @ about 02.30)​
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpW1h__lGe8&p=DDAC175EEBEE9969&playnext=1&index=15[/ame]

Sorry to open this can of 80's whoop ass on you all .
Look out for the guest solo by Van Halen . :headbang:

Last edited by a moderator:
What it is is comedy gold !

I like to think that Brian May was architect of the joke .

But we all know he wasn't .

Ugh, I hate the solo in "Cult of Personality".

+1

Not to knock what anyone likes. But I just remember reading all kinds of rave reviews on Vernon Reid's (?) guitar abilities, and thinking....am I listening to the same thing? I know...subjective...differences in tastes and opinions...but I've just never understood what others saw/heard.

I can't find it online anymore but there used to be a Guitar ______? magazine video lesson that was four minutes of Vernon Reid staring off into space while playing the most random collection of notes I'd ever heard. Giving up after a few seconds, a friend commented, "The only thing I learned from that is to never hire Vernon Reid for a session."

I agree with the first two, but SLAYER???
really?
I mean both of them are just hitting random notes without any key reference or meaning.
it's really just "I have arse all clue what scale/note would fit, so I'll just shake my right hand as fast as I can and move the left over the fretboard fretting random notes.

honestly, where you just kidding or do you really think they're good lead players?

Well, good is very subjective. No one denies that they're not exactly a blueprint of good technique and knowledge of theory. However, they're still originators and what they do (arguably) fits they're music perfectly.

I can't even imagine a haunting record like "Hell Awaits" or the sheer terror that is "Reign In Blood" with perfectly composed and structured solos. In that way, their usage of leads is quite different to many bands.

I just wish they would put a little more effort in them these days, like they would around the "Season..." days.

In a strange way, it's easier for me to remember every detail of some Slayer solos, than those of guys like Loomis.

Take Nuno Bettencourt and Kerry King, two guitarists that are the polar opposite to each other, yet I enjoy the work of both for different reasons.

Yet there are guys like Joe Stump or MAB who have awesome technique, yet manage to say absolutely nothing with their playing.

Yeah but I think they don't really fit in an 80s shred worship thread, dude.
Catchy solos? whatever. Nice guys? don't care. 80's shred thread worthy? Naw brotha, you slippin.

Seasons has some cool stuff on it, though. In terms of awesome 80's though....nope.

BACK TO THE TASK AT HAND.

80s vai rules.

Kotzen's legato is fucking pure filth.

I personally wouldn't have posted Slayer in here to begin with, it was more of an OT reply as to what and what not may constitute a good player.

BTT: This guy here's sorely missing in this thread:

Good shit in here.

I don't know much about solos, I only know I like some shred but what I like most is listening to composition/writing. I love those melodies you are able to sing along like this piece from '89 played by Aaron Jellum (but it could also be played by Phil Kettner) for Laaz Rockit.

And not the line alone but I really like the sound, the gain, the feeling, the vibrato, the sudden feedback...

No I think they're, at best, marginal lead players, but like slash said they're influential and their particular flavor of shite manages to stick. On that token Hammett should be in there too even though I detest almost every solo except "The Thing That Should Not Be".

More reputable names:
Ritchie Blackmore

Ritchie Kotzen

And while not technically a shredder, he's so damned good he should be considered honorary.