The Official Doom Thread

wha does everyone think of Electric Wizard? been thinking of trying something out. which one should i try?

prolly buy it along with scald - will of the gods

verdict on Om and High on Fire?

looking at the connections with Sleep, of course. Om sounds more like what I'm looking for: mystic, zen-like....while HoF sounds like they just bring the heavy

wha does everyone think of Electric Wizard?
Everyone will tell you Dopethrone but Come My Fanatics is pretty god damn great too. Let Us Prey is good too, but it is definitely the lesser of the three.

Edit:
Om: not as good as Dopesmoker
High on Fire: different animal altogether

Been to the Doooooom over Paris fest last Sunday, featuring:

Shattered Hope (Greece): extremely nondescript synth-laden doom, not even remotely interesting. But it was nice of them to travel all the way for just this 30 minute gig :)

Inborn Suffering (France): great technical doom death with waterfalls of funeral keys, lots of variation within the songs, apt vocalist who easily switches between three different vocal types. Those guys smoked.

Ataraxie (France): by this time the small venue (actually more a wine cellar with a stage) was so damn hot and stuffy I was dreaming of Greenland instead of listening. Anyway Ataraxie perform a sick brand of blackened doom with insane shrieks in place of vocals. On a very fitting note, they closed the show with a sweet Bethlehem cover that was about 8.070.9933.0183 time sbetter than their material.

Mar de Grises (Chile): the venue definitely paid no justice to their otherwise excellent progressive/oniric doom. No lighting, shit sound, the atmospheres were totally inoperant and the mic issued an irritating sink-like gurgle each time the vocalist tried to sing something.

Saturnus (Denmark): melodic doom death for wimmen and the mellowest of us penis owners. They were great as always, tight harmonies, powerful sound (the difference with the disastrous soup that Mar de Grises had to cope with was almost outrageous).

51iNE5KY4-L._SS384_.jpg

GatesCover_hi-res.jpg

This is incredibly epic. :kickass: However, the clean part in the last song where Simon is singing doesn't sit well with me yet. I think he went outside of his vocal abilities here...

Comments and questions:

I've really been getting into doom lately, delving deeper and deeper into something I laughed at years, or even months ago. Not all of it sits well with me, but that's to be expected with everything.

Unorthodox - Asylum
This is ones of my favorites so far. A grand album full of solid vocals, great bass work, and powerful riffs. It even sounds happy in places. It surprised me and kicked my ass and I thanked it for that.

Dream Death - Journey into Mystery
Though I much prefer Penance (who rock!), this is a pretty good slab of doomy death metal, albeit in rudimentary form. The sloppiness and emotion give it a genuine edge.

Witchcraft - s/t
I am having fun with this one. A 70's album released in the 00's. Not really metal, more like just hippy rock with a doom flavor.THeir other two have already been ordered.

Pentagram - Day of Reckoning
I admit I was wary of checking out Vitus, Pentagram, and Trouble, so when the opportunity arose to buy this for cheap, I jumped on it. Lo and behold, I enjoyed it immensely. I'm sure it had a profound impact at the time of release, but it still stands strong in my eyes. It's actually better than a lot of other stuff I've heard

Centurion's Ghost - A Sign of Thing to Come
I really don't know what to think of this yet. Sounds like early to mid Cathedral. The vocals could use some work. As of this writing, I own but have not listened to The Great Work

Mael Mordha - Cluain Tarb and Gealtacht Mael Mordha
I reacquired these after trading them off. Very good. Some songs drag. There is some unrealized potential here.

Scald - Will of the Gods is Great Power
A soaring album. I will need to get used to the vocals in places, but the music is grand. I can see why people praise this band constantly.

Solitude Aeturnus - Into the Depths of Sorrow and Beyond the Crimson Horizon
Own them but have not listened.

Currently on order:
Penance - Proving Ground
Solstice - Lamentations
Cathedral - Ethereal Mirror
Witchcraft - The Alchemist
Witchcraft - Firewood

Questions:

What are the essentials and your opinions of these bands and their albums (I have probably asked about a few of these in the past, so apologies):

Internal Void
Revelation
Oversoul
Solstice
Pentagram
Trouble

Admittedly, I've been using Necuratal's doom list on the LotFP board as a guide. Cheers.

EDIT: Are all Solitude Aeturnus albums worth getting?

I'm not a guru of this style as others here but get 'new dark age' by Solstice. I think its recently been re-released, so should be easy to find. Nice job with the witchcraft, one of my favorite bands. I probably like firewood better than the self titled, but it varies. But all three albums rock. If they ever come through texas try go see them. They're really awesome live, and anytime they come through i'll be seeing them :loco: If you're looking for a doom/death band check out Avernus. Although they changed their style a bit later on, their early stuff is great. They have a comp with all their early material on it.