The Official Movie thread.

Hey, I think I've found a loophole. Pretty much all movies contain music, so just include a brief commentary on the soundtrack in your posts! Problem solved. :kickass::loco:

Shame the other thread was deleted. Was looking forward to reactions to my tarantino rant.

Me so curious, what did you say?:OMG:

I don't know about Tarantino, I'm not an expert on films or directors, however I think Samuel Jackson's last monologue in Pulp Fiction absolutely kicks ass... don't know if it would have been as good if anybody else would have said that though, amazing actor.

Me so curious, what did you say?:OMG:

I don't know about Tarantino, I'm not an expert on films or directors, however I think Samuel Jackson's last monologue in Pulp Fiction absolutely kicks ass... don't know if it would have been as good if anybody else would have said that though, amazing actor.
Well basically I won't get started as I will go into another long and film nerdy rant. But basically he is incredibly overrated. He has made good movies, namely his first two, but he is still incredibly highly rated. Which IMO is ridiculous given his small output and it's quality; being ranked amongst the best directors ever is a joke. There are a lot of way worse directors out there but there are much better. That and him being a promotion/sergio leone ode whore as well as the constant "questionable" referencing of film after film. There's paying homage and then there's stealing, he goes quite close to the line quite often. Stylistically he also becomes tiresome. He does write quite good dialogue some of the time, but he has basically gotten to a point now where he knows so many noobs will eat out of his hand he can write the same scenes slightly differently over and over. Basically if you think tarantino is original or innovative you basically need to see more films. It sounds arrogant but it is an unfortunate fact. <see I can't help myself haha. Too much of a film buff ;).

^lol I saw that in the cinema's. Felt pretty raped after seeing it. I tried to block everything I saw during it from my mind. But I remember it being pretty awful.

Well basically I won't get started as I will go into another long and film nerdy rant. But basically he is incredibly overrated. He has made good movies, namely his first two, but he is still incredibly highly rated. Which IMO is ridiculous given his small output and it's quality; being ranked amongst the best directors ever is a joke. There are a lot of way worse directors out there but there are much better. That and him being a promotion/sergio leone ode whore as well as the constant "questionable" referencing of film after film. There's paying homage and then there's stealing, he goes quite close to the line quite often. Stylistically he also becomes tiresome. He does write quite good dialogue some of the time, but he has basically gotten to a point now where he knows so many noobs will eat out of his hand he can write the same scenes slightly differently over and over. Basically if you think tarantino is original or innovative you basically need to see more films. It sounds arrogant but it is an unfortunate fact. <see I can't help myself haha. Too much of a film buff ;).

you're right. tarantino's "style" is basically a mix of other director's trademarks all combined and mishmashed. tarantino is what a great director would be if he had ADHD and was on speed. nonetheless, he writes very good dialogue and i still enjoy his movies when im in the mood for it. kill bill, pulp fiction and reservoir dogs are awesome in their own right.

i couldnt agree more.

Interesting. Don't know enough of films to discuss and I only argue about issues I know of...could be what you say though, sometimes when people make a couple of good first films then they are categorised as innovative/good/whatever and it seems that even if they do crap movies after that it doesn't matter.
For example this movie Pan's laberynth which I honestly did not like got a lot of praise; I liked the the kind of Tool type creatures and yea, they are cool, but now they are kind of reused in Hellboy 2 (same director as pan's) the little fairies (for whoever saw the movies)... it kind of tires me, although I thought they were interesting anyway, but I bet he's going to include the same crap in his next film thus not bringing anything new to the table but everyone will praise him anyway...Hollywood for ya.
The same goes for bands who do the same shit over and over...:puke:
I have to say though, Tarantino chooses nice and appropriate music in his films I think.

By god man that's fucking ridiculous you mention a great director/ writer like Del Toro. The creatures aren't the same, but he has a style, which is unique to his films, and that's totally fine to have. Everything about Pan's is a work of art.

You want to talk about directors people thought were good at first, but turned out to be complete hacks mention Wachowski brothers or M Night Shyamalan not Del Toro for christ sakes.