The 'Opeth Effect'

no "god hates us all" only applies to people like you.
by us i meant the likes of me strangelight, and mehdi
although allah isnt really god, but its the faith that counts

monk.gif

Bambi said:
no "god hates us all" only applies to people like you...
allah isnt really god, but its the faith that counts

Hmm, but this contradicts all of the propaganda concerning the Abrahamic god being all-loving! :Spin:
Somthing funny happened on the way to heaven, for sure!

As for "allah", it's simply a word meaning "the God". Surely a fellow "of the book" has no issue with that? Allah, YWHW, God - one in the same. Unless, of course, you're bound by certain, shall we say - racial motivations? :0

OH the humanity! :tickled:

SoundMaster said:
Hmm, but this contradicts all of the propaganda concerning the Abrahamic god being all-loving! :Spin:
Somthing funny happened on the way to heaven, for sure!

As for "allah", it's simply a word meaning "the God". Surely a fellow "of the book" has no issue with that? Allah, YWHW, God - one in the same. Unless, of course, you're bound by certain, shall we say - racial motivations? :0

OH the humanity! :tickled:

cut the crap soundmaster, if allah was moding this forum hed ban you for sure you 4skined bastid!

Alcapoth said:
In all honesty, Opeth is...indeed, the greatest band...
fair enough :)
but what does this mean?
"Over troubled waters memories soar
Endlessly, searching night and day
The moonlight caresses a lonely hill
With the calmness of a whisper..."

And do you go out staring at hills? Or just sit at home on the net and Playstation 2 etc..

black rose immortal? mwah. i prefer advent and nectar. and theyre way shorter. and waaaaaaaay better.
black rose immortal is just meant to be a long song. big mistake...

Well, keep in mind Strangelight, this is just my personal preference. I felt a certain mockery heading towards Opeth while reading the thread, and felt the need to express my opinion. Someone may not like them, fine...but musically, no one can deny they are gifted. And their success is becoming greater upon every new album release...that is fact, there you have it.

And, I am a firm believer there is a certain meaning in any lyrics or form of writing. I find the wording in BRI to be very moving, and in a way, haunting. They paint a very ghostly atmosphere...I'm sure everyone will find a different meaning within. Think of it as being along the lines of a short story....

And Duncan, err...Strangelight. I'm not the one with 2, 000 posts. I'm not sure where this whole net/PS2 came from, but it kinda felt like an attack. By stating Opeth is my fave band, I didn't mean to take a jab at anybody. I listen to alot of different music (classical even), and Opeth is among the tops.

Oh, and I used to (more than now) actually sit outside and appreciate some quiet scenery...hmm, maybe not hills or mountains, but by a river. Finest atmosphere to draw, I say...

Ah, hell...Morningrise is one of my favourite albums. You can't go wrong with either songs. The Night and the Silent Water is a bit better though, than Advent, I think. And BRI, if you really appreciate MUSIC, shouldn't even feel like 20 minutes. ;) More like 8-10...

Sorry for the long post.

One last thing; what did Mick REALLY mean by the "Opeth effect?"

Alcapoth said:
Well, keep in mind Strangelight, this is just my personal preference. I felt a certain mockery heading towards Opeth while reading the thread, and felt the need to express my opinion. Someone may not like them, fine...but musically, no one can deny they are gifted. And their success is becoming greater upon every new album release...that is fact, there you have it.

And, I am a firm believer there is a certain meaning in any lyrics or form of writing. I find the wording in BRI to be very moving, and in a way, haunting. They paint a very ghostly atmosphere...I'm sure everyone will find a different meaning within. Think of it as being along the lines of a short story....

And Duncan, err...Strangelight. I'm not the one with 2, 000 posts. I'm not sure where this whole net/PS2 came from, but it kinda felt like an attack. By stating Opeth is my fave band, I didn't mean to take a jab at anybody. I listen to alot of different music (classical even), and Opeth is among the tops.

Oh, and I used to (more than now) actually sit outside and appreciate some quiet scenery...hmm, maybe not hills or mountains, but by a river. Finest atmosphere to draw, I say...

Ah, hell...Morningrise is one of my favourite albums. You can't go wrong with either songs. The Night and the Silent Water is a bit better though, than Advent, I think. And BRI, if you really appreciate MUSIC, shouldn't even feel like 20 minutes. ;) More like 8-10...

Sorry for the long post.

One last thing; what did Mick REALLY mean by the "Opeth effect?"

It was a question. If them words are special or meaningful to you then great. I dont understand thats all, and thats why Im asking. I cant relate to it, so I'm not really in a position to critisize so thats also why I'm asking. To me it looks like its perfect stuff for people who really love hills and that. Thats where the playstation joke came in :tickled:
Also, I do think Opeth are great at what they do. Good musicians and nice lads and I'd much rather see them get success than any nu-metal boy band crap or certain bands who need shock tactics and gimmicks to sell records. I'm just trying to understand why people are going so nuts.
Also, yeah, long songs are best :D

Eh, it's not like BRI has the greatest lyrics ever. I just like the wording, I think it's done rather nice. And most of all, it fits the music perfectly.

And, people are going nuts? I find this maybe true of every band people really like.

Anyway, to each their own I guess. And hell, long songs are great, IF they're done right. I could NEVER get into Green Carnation's full-hour-length, one song album, for example.

note: opeth's finest moment with lyrics, IMO, would have to be MAYH's.

yeah that last bit is from 'damnation'. and what i remember from the interview with mikael is that he said the lyrics on 'damnation' are bollox, and not personal as the other lyrics are.... :erk: