The 'Opeth Effect'

Mariner said:
yeah that last bit is from 'damnation'. and what i remember from the interview with mikael is that he said the lyrics on 'damnation' are bollox, and not personal as the other lyrics are.... :erk:

So "Over troubled waters memories soar
Endlessly, searching night and day
The moonlight caresses a lonely hill
With the calmness of a whisper..."
was personal!
To me it's just words for the sake of words, memories searching? Calm moonlight?
-

Strangelight said:
I like this
"And I should contemplate this change
To ease the pain
And I should step out of the rain
turn away"

That's the story of my life, that is.
I knew I should have bought that brolly.

Allan said:
So "Over troubled waters memories soar
Endlessly, searching night and day
The moonlight caresses a lonely hill
With the calmness of a whisper..."
was personal!
To me it's just words for the sake of words, memories searching? Calm moonlight?
-

be careful, the kids will flame you for that

Strangelight said:
be careful, the kids will flame you for that

But I like "Damnation" and I don't like liking the bollox of a guy. But seriously there is a wound that's always bleeding and the thing that you said. I'm still a drunken duck. And please answer my Saturnus question.

Strangelight said:
drinking is ok. I am drinking in unison with you tonight boss ;)

Done drinking, busy being quite drunk. I realised the paradox of life tonight- drunk people (or is it me) tend to want to sound real clever, but drinking gets you really dumb (or is it me). And don't write "it is you". And don't write "but it is you".

I've been drinking mineral water for hours now, and pissing through my skin

Heheh, well...maybe the lyrics off Orchid and Morningrise are just words for the sake of being, well..."words." Take it however you will...hehe, Mikael himself even stated somewhere I remember, that he had no idea where most of those lyrics on ORCHID had came from? Still, he had said something along the lines of the album beiing about "higher powers...being controlled by higher powers." EH, don't remember exactly...oh well.

Hmm...I gather a song could SUCK terribally, but if it has good to decent lyrics, hell - it's great. I'm not like that...I don't understand why people feel they need to TOTALLY relate to the song. Sure, it's nice...but it's the MUSIC that I actually pay attention to. Lyrics come after (after I just enjoy an album, afterwards I may pick up the booklet and follow along with the lyrics.)

Ah, and yes...damnation is a beautiful album.

I agree with you. I listen to a lot of instrumental stuff so I obviously cant relate to the words cos there is none, but..... what puzzles me is me people can get so defensive about something they dont even understand.

That's what I was going to say... I've noticed that 99% of people into "extreme metal" don't pay a rat's arse of attention to the lyrics, particularly in non-native-English speaking countries. It's more the phonetics and the photos that count. I'm going to do a little growly number based upon today's receipt from the Coop - which, by a most lovely coincidence, came to 66.60.- CHF...

wow, Light, what can u buy for that much in a coop? i only get there coffee and bred.

another thing: I just browsed music magazines here and was surpised to see how trendy Antimatter became! :) Found 2 magazines with cd attached and both had an Antimatter track on it.. (one was Zillo, I dont remember the other)

Strangelight said:
I agree with you. I listen to a lot of instrumental stuff so I obviously cant relate to the words cos there is none, but..... what puzzles me is me people can get so defensive about something they dont even understand.

I see what you mean...maybe some are that way, but I'm sure most will find some sort of meaning. Certain lyrics can be very poetic, and you really have to dig deep in order to digest it all (I'm not saying this is the case with Opeth's lyrics).

Well, with regard to what Light has posted up...you'd be surprised at how many actually DO pay attention to the lyrics of Opeth and even Katatonia, etc. Some extreme metal is just tasteless. All in all, it just depends on what band we're talking about...

Shit, I didn't intend myself to create this into some huge Opeth discussion, where it doesn't really belong (I find myself mentioning them now, here and there.)

Heheh...originally I just scoped this board out in regards to the new Antimatter album that has come out, and bang! A topic with the "Opeth" headline in it...yeah, I'm interested now.

Alcapoth said:
I see what you mean...maybe some are that way, but I'm sure most will find some sort of meaning. Certain lyrics can be very poetic, and you really have to dig deep in order to digest it all (I'm not saying this is the case with Opeth's lyrics).

Well, with regard to what Light has posted up...you'd be surprised at how many actually DO pay attention to the lyrics of Opeth and even Katatonia, etc. Some extreme metal is just tasteless. All in all, it just depends on what band we're talking about...

Shit, I didn't intend myself to create this into some huge Opeth discussion, where it doesn't really belong (I find myself mentioning them now, here and there.)

Heheh...originally I just scoped this board out in regards to the new Antimatter album that has come out, and bang! A topic with the "Opeth" headline in it...yeah, I'm interested now.

Ah thats what forums are for, discussions and that.
A lot of exteme metal is meant to be tasteless, ie. Autopy, Cannibal Corpse and co. and they're good at what they do, its not dressed up as emotional music and that (well maybe to some :ill: ). It seems as soon as certain band names are mentioned, people immediately start weeping at the moon. This is regardless whether they understand what any of it is about but if you question them they get angry "errrrrm, I DONT CARE IF ITS MEANINGLESS, PEOPLE CAN MAKE IT MEAN WHAT THEY errr WANT, ITS THE MUSIC THAT COUNTS! errrr" and that really really puzzles me :erk:
If I compare some of that pseudo-emotional stuff to the lyrics of say Bad Religion, then it becomes comedy like. In terms of meaning and songs actually having a point to them. Im not saying that all lyrics have to be like that, but why people try their best to relate stuff to their lives when really it doesnt relate at all :( but the t-shirts are nice eh?